IGNORED

Wife wants new gear

outpost22

My wife is complaining that the gear she has makes her look more like an astronaut than a woman. So where do you suggest we look to find her more suitable feminine ATGATT gear? This is what she looks and feels like now:

deb_geared_up.jpg

Motorcycle Superstore

She can order everything she wants to try on.

Try it all on, decide what to keep

Send it all or most everything back for only $6.99

Very simple and nice to bring the store to your home.

Sidi boots and First Gear are my #1 choices of their brands.

Tourmaster is good. I'm not too fond of the quality of the Fieldshear, from what I saw. I've never purchased any of the other brands that they carry.

All too often women's gear isn't stocked well in stores, so on-line is a good way for us to shop.

She needs to determine what brand "fits" her. Some brands carry more short waisted gear, others more long torso, etc. Looks like she's in a jacket that is not designed for her build.

When it comes to overpants please forget about looking attractive and make sure to get some hard armor on the hips. I just don't look in the mirror. As long as I can move well and am comfortable on the bike all is well.

Good luck to her.

there is smotorcycle superstore on crater lake hiway juat outside medford..... Whats nice is you can try on a lot of differant styles

Really nice look Nancy! Happy Birthday too! :clap:

I really like the First Gear KILIMANJARO jacket, and have worn one for 10 years. Very comfortable and no feeling of "spaceman"

FWIW, the attached is Olympia Air Mesh in charcoal (wish i'd gotten silver but . . .) I like the cut of this model in Olympia: short jacket, sleeves are long enough; there is some adjustment in the waist of the pants and an "easy hem" pant that I've not tried because only Jan's pants need hemming ( :P )

298258810_bkVQo-L.jpg

I gotta birthday next week :clap: and just picked up a pink and black Joe Rocket Luna jacket

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/2/49/16846/ITEM/Joe-Rocket-Womens-Luna-2-0-Jacket.aspx

and an almost matching helmet

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/1/2/48/11000/ITEM/Shoei-Womens-TZ-R-Vogue-Helmet.aspx

yippee....now I don't look like an astronaut (or worse).

Cute gear! :thumbsup: When you gonna model it for us? Isn't this great? A virtual shopping trip! :grin:

She looks fine spend the money on gas.

You must be single, Warren. Ha ha ha!!

That's nice looking gear. My sweetie thinks it's all too flashy (especially the helmets) and wants something more sedate. I've tried to tell her that she won't be able to see the helmet once it's on her head, so what does it matter if it's got flames or flowers?? "Other people will see it, duh!" Well, they're CONSPICUOUS and that's a good thing; you want other people to notice you when you're on a bike so they don't schmuck you. "GLARE". Ha ha! She's a n00b to riding so she's not totally convinced she needs all the gear all the time either, but she's taking the MSF training starting today so hopefully they'll help convince her. If we can get her into comfortable, nice-looking gear that will help.

We live in Virginia, so heat is always a consideration too (and humidity - 87% as I type this). Do you find the black gear to be hotter than a lighter color? I know with my helmets they are so well insulated that color doesn't seem to affect the interior temperature at all, but what about pants and jackets? My primary ATGATT is BMW stuff in predominantly a medium gray so I don't notice heat conduction, but I know wearing a black tee shirt on a sunny day sure is hotter than a white one.

Doug

I would look at Olympia and Rev'it lines for your significant other. Both companies make some good gear; it looks like even most of their lower-priced offerings are made out of 500 denier Cordura with CE armor. The silver/pewter Olympia Airglide 2 jackets + pants would be good for this hot weather.

My wife just got the First Gear Contour mesh jacket and Mesh Tex 2.0 pants. She was very happy with them on our recent trip through the Sierras with temps reaching 110*+ (we did use cooling vests).

P1010400.jpg

She didn't have much to compare it with as far as color as her other jacket is a full textile Frank Tomas with little to no ventilation... but it's black so it does absorb heat in the sun.

The downside of the white jacket is how grimy it got on the trip. My jacket is probably just as dirty, but hers shows it.

+1

My missus complains that she looks like a pee-wee football player (with her gear on, that is). I tell her to quit looking in the mirror.

I have ordered from the Motorcycle Superstore. Great service and fast free shipping in the US.

They are 10 minutes from where I live. I was just there an hour ago. They don't stock much in their store. It's mostly online sales. I would like her to be able to try some jackets on for size.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Just tell her that, as alway, she is beautiful, no matter what she's wearing.

:Cool:

Problem solved.

Riding gear for women seems to change from year to year. By that I mean that one manufacturers size from year X miight change in a year or two and not fit the same.

This seems more prevalent in ladies gear.

This site, She Rides

seems to be able to provide good feedback.

And, of course, the folks at New Enough are excellent to deal with.

Best wishes.

My wife started with a Tourmaster jacket and recently switched to the Olympia Airglide II jacket. She felt she needed better airflow on hot days and the Olympia has the added benefit of coming with a liner that can also be worn separately as a stand alone jacket. You don't have to carry a separate jacket with you for walking around town on cool nights.

mistercindy

Yup. Let her pick whatever she wants, but I don't see motorcycle gear making any woman look like a fashion plate. Fit, comfort, utility, with the colors of her choice, then onwards and upwards.

There's a lot of good "womens's specific gear out there, with better shapes for womens's figures and dimensions. Also, lots of good powder blue and pinks out there.

My wife has a powder blue joe rocket mesh jacket. The womens gloves fit great too. I think she'd get somethig pink if possible the next time. it was just comming on the market when I bought her jacket 3 years ago.

We like the mesh jackets because with liner and a heated vest, you have full flexibility from 35F up to 90F+ with a single jacket.

• 2 months later...
Dances_With_Wiener_Dogs

We had tried to oufit Valerie with Aerostitch gear, but it never fit right. Wasn't made for women with hips and boobs. After looking at a bunch of gear, we came across the Frank Thomas brand. Specifically the Alicia line. Good gear, protective, flattering and cool from the fashion aspect (according to Val). Pants, jacket and gloves. New helmet and boots too. Now she wants to ride as much as I do. Win-Win.

675364011_jfMob-L.jpg

Has anyone tried out the Kelvar gear at Motoport? I read the article in the August BMWON and found it was hard to ignore. I have ordered the Air Mesh Kevlar Jacket, Police Air Mesh Kevlar Pants and the Kevlar racing gloves. The gloves have already arrived and fit like a dream. The pants are custom fit by sending them a pair of your jeans marked up and sized. Since the items can be built to your body, I would have to believe the ladies would find it more flattering than off the shelf things that we all currently buy. *Not to mention the much improved protection…

I too have been wearing textile jackets for years, but now I can’t to have better protection for the “what if's".

Motoport

I have the motoport kevlar mesh pants and they I like them. The best thing is that you send them measurements and they will custom make pants for you. I have a hard time getting the pants to fit and have the armor in the right place. The motoport fit perfect.

Archived