IGNORED

DIY PIAA mounts for forks

Eric S

Done with:

- 1/2" dia and 3/8" dia aluminum stock bar

- 90mm M6 bolts & nuts

This is the assembly. One 1/2" pc aluminum drilled through for M6 then bored to 7/16" to allow the allen head to sit inside the tube. A 3/8" hole cross drilled with a 6mm hole on top for the other bolt. Two 3/8" x 1" x 6mm ID tubes provide the light support.

piaa1.jpg

piaa3.jpg

piaa4.jpg

I still have to sort out the wiring better. Any suggestions here how to take care of that connector that is only about 4 inches from the light?

ersooy, that is a big ole connector isn’t it.. Personally I would clip the whole connector off then try to add a couple of feet of new wire & terminate it inside the light housing,, or if that isn’t possible just add the new wire close as possible to the light housing then cover the junction with small tight fitting heat shrink tubing..

Then add a new sealed connector (something like weatherpak) up under the fairing out of sight..

Twisty

ersooy...Looks slick...did you give any thought as to how the light pattern on the road will change with the lens being 90 degrees from normal?

Tom

ersooy...Looks slick...did you give any thought as to how the light pattern on the road will change with the lens being 90 degrees from normal?

Tom

Oh yes very good point. With these you can actually rotate the bulb 360 degrees in the housing, although I had not done that yet in the picture you see. The only thing I thought of with the pattern is that the lights used to be under the cooler on the faring (nothing between them). Now the wheel is between them so I'm interested to see the difference in the pattern. I also am going to move those reflectors down a little bit.

Thanks everyone. I like the look of the Martin Fab ones, but cyclegadgets.com does not carry it anymore. So I figgered what the hey.

I love it when people do their own thing. Nice looking job on this. Let us know if rotation due to vibration occurs? I might try something similar. My Walmart light specials have shown the reason for their low price. The wiring cover and rubber boot are deteriorating from sun damage. But don't let anyone tell you they did not work for the lighting though. They did great and still work actually. But I would not want to put my hand on the wire in the rain. Your mount looks so much more artistic than mine that I may use it on the new lights.

After installing I was suprised at how firm they are. Of course the real test is riding it. Haven't ridden in a few days because of some mods I've been doing. I'll report back.

Archived