IGNORED

Does anyone have one of these Garmin things?

Toad

Fightingpiper

I got a little bracket tht slips on the Zumo cradle and holds the puck above it. I have my Zumo mounted on the clutch reservoir. I think I got it from cyclegadgets for about 6 bux.

486720630_eZYYe-L.jpg

Does the puck fasten on to this? I noticed that it has a couple of holes on the bottom are they threaded? What size?

Yes, it does fasten onto it. As I remember, the screws came with it; but, in typical fashion, I quickly lost one. I found the replacement at the local Ace Hardware. I'm sorry, I don't recall the size.

Yea, mine is likely going to end up on the new BMR shelf, but I haven't had a chance to play with it.

If that's the case, Toad, I can send you my old mount (the one pictured above) if you need it.

Beemer_Nancy

It doesn't really "fasten" to that thingy, it sticks to it magnetically. Stays put very nicely I must say.

Originally mounted mine atop the left fluid resevoir but uncomfortable leaving it there. Remounted it under the rear seat in back below the fender where Autocom is located; (velcroed on top.)

To my surprise, works just fine; reception is clear.

Used the extra (long) wire that came with the puck; now it stays on the Bike permanently & out of sight .

Beemer_Nancy

I like the magnetic mount because it allows me to move the puck between bikes. Also, I can atest to the fact that the puck receives receptions from INSIDE a tank bag..... I don't know why it works in with black canvas between it and the sky....but it did. And no, I didn't try it on purpose.

I can atest to the fact that the puck receives receptions from INSIDE a tank bag..... I don't know why it works in with black canvas between it and the sky....but it did. And no, I didn't try it on purpose.

I think this depends upon where you are in the US. I can tell you in CT there is no way it will work without a direct view to the sky. Even then...

It seems to me that Garmin wants you to put that antenna away from the GPS itself, so the back of the bike is a good spot.

Interesting. I'm surprised that it works well there. You have full bars from that location? Might be worth a try.

Yeah, I was too. Angel (Board name & a knowledgeable friend/resource) suggested mounting the puck under the back fender & I laughed; seemed so obvious & yet I hadn't previously thought of that spot.

Had tried inside the tank bag, atop the (left) brake reservoir, under the front fork (a particularly bad idea; whomever said reception wasn't affected in that location was/is full of prunes, at least around this neck of the woods) & in desperation, inside a trunk case (strangest move of them all).

But what I really wanted was a location where I could leave the puck permanently & not have to worry about taking it off every time I stopped for lunch or an overnight while on the road.

This spot works; p.m. me if you want pics/specifics.

I put mine inside my tank bag. The signal is picked up right through the bag and I don't have any worries about it falling off of a magnetic surface.

Fightingpiper
I don't have any worries about it falling off of a magnetic surface.

Thats why there are 2 screws on the bottom.

Mine has worked fine from S. Fla. to Nova Scotia.

Location, in Big Mak DSC tank bag.

This has a clear vinyl map case window where I put the puck, cell phone, garage door opener, external GPS antenna.

Ten seconds to remove GPS, and tankbag so all electronicw, including Autocom system, can be stored/locked away from bike if desired.

Simple, effective,

Will also work w/black rain cover on over the DSC bag.

When I used B2B it fit in there also.

YMMV.

Sorry for the ignorance but don't the Zumo's have inbuilt antenna's?

Or is this because of signal drop outs that you need am external antenna?

:S

Motorrad4fun

The Zumo needs this Antenna for the XM to work ONLY. The GPS antenna is integrated into the Zumo itself

AS for the original Question, I have my mounted on my top case with Velcro. and a 6 Foot Extension that came with the antenna.

Works great and is removed in 30 Seconds when the Zumo is moved to another Vehicle.

I don't have any worries about it falling off of a magnetic surface.

Thats why there are 2 screws on the bottom.

it has two screw holes. but to what or do you attach it?

I swap my Zumo and XM antenna between 3 bikes on a pretty regular basis.

I attached high quality Velcro to the back of the antenna. On the RT, I have it stuck on the dash under the windshield. I route the cable under the right mirror, to the bars and into the back of the cradle mounted between the bars.

This works well for me as I bundle up the excess cable under the mirror so I don't have a bunch of extra cable dangling...

ShovelStrokeEd

Mine came with a steel plate that mounts to the screw holes, screws as well. I am going to epoxy a small, strong circular magnet to the panel under my windscreen and then stick the antenna there. Currently, it mounts to my master cylinder cap with 3M duo lock but that stuff is so strong that frequently the glue just lets go instead of the duo lock. A more permanent mount in a place that requires tools to get to is certainly on the agenda. I don't worry about meal or rest stops but parking overnight at hotels, I don't want that thing to be easy pickings.

I had it in an even more secure location behind my instruments but lost too much signal when traveling north. It works great on the master cylinder cover except for the normal drop out when traveling on tree lined roads and in the right lane on east bound roads.

I do wish Garmin or XM/Sirius would address this, a little more amplification of the signal wouldn't hurt. BTW, I don't have a problem in the southern states, only north of the Mason Dixon line. Angle to the satellites, I guess.

Archived