IGNORED

DIY GIVI V46 Topcase Light -

Eric S

Having more time than farkle-dollars, I set out to make my own brake light LED thang for my GIVI case. MANY thanks to Twisty for help on the electrics!

1. This is part of the Givi case that you mount the LEDs to. I had some extra LEDs laying around from other projects. BTW a great source for LED lights is www.oznium.com. Great prices and instant shipping. I mounted the lights to an aluminum bar with VHB tape. The holes in the aluminum are shouldered on the ID so the bar sits on the mounting posts.

bmwled1.jpg

bmwled2.jpg

2. With some Radio Shack junk I put together the box, which will sit in the space behind the pillion.

bmwled3.jpgbmwled4.jpg

3. For power I'm using one of those power adapters from a typical electronic device. Affixed under the platform.

bmwled5.jpg

4. This is a cut down film canister that has the the receptacle for the power put inside then filled with hot glue. This will go upside down and glued onto the circular porthole that is for the Givi incandescent kit. Oh you say glue won't stick? Well the super stuff I have does! It's a special epoxy that was developed for the space shuttle nose cone and is my go-to for hard to bond stuff. At work we use it to glue nylon to stainless steel.

bmwled6.jpg

**** more pics to come! ****

Fightingpiper

. The light in the GIVI is the same as the light bar you see on the fender. The are Knight Riders from custom dynamics and are about $25 a piece. The light bar fits perfectly in the case.

604813743_RhTFj-L.jpg

If you look at it from straight behind it only looks like the middle two reflectors have light but if you move to the side it looks like the first and second reflectors have the light. So what ever angle you look at it you see the flashing brake lights.

I also used a different connector so I could put the case on and off without having to disconnecet any wires.

313671207_GDhqZ-O.jpg

399177236_Wnxzx-L.jpg

313671216_rRwZt-O.jpg

Clever connector - that's what I was aiming for but couldn't find anything that would work like that. Where to find such a part. Also, what about if the case if off and the contacts get wet?

Ok, last pics

1. This is the power connector glued in.

bmwled8.jpg

2. And the rear. Running = dim, brake = bright. Booya!

bmwled7.jpg

Thanks for the post and the pics. I just ordered a Givi 52 and was thinking of putting in my own brake lights. You've given me some good ideas.

Archived