IGNORED

Spot Tracker Batteries

drswift

What's been your experience with battery life for Spot with constant daily use. I'm starting to see big gaps in my route tracking, and wonder if batteries could be going.

From the manual:

Battery Life and Usage

• Use only AA lithium batteries (2).

• The ON/OFF light will flash red when lithium batteries have approximately 30%

of their life or less left. If the ON/OFF light flashes red, replace the batteries.

• Under normal usage a SPOT messenger with fully charged batteries should meet or exceed in SPOTcasting tracking mode: Approx. 14 days.

Firefight911

When I use Lithium batteries, I got a good 5 to 6 full long days of use before I get the low battery light. All tracking good until then.

The couple times I used alkaline (forgot the lithiums at home) I only get one full day and the next morning for several hours before I get the low battery light. All tracking has remained good.

I always change the batteries as soon as I see the red light. One thing to note here though is that the red light, early on, only happens during position transmission and then goes back to green flashing. You could go for a fair bit of time and not notice this.

What Phil said.

I called SPOT about the battery issue because I didn't have lithiums once, and they confirmed that alkalines will not hurt the SPOT locator but that life will be crappy, and that's the truth.

Got mine for Christmas last year. Put in lithium AAs. Don't use tracking much, just early on to see if it worked as advertised. In general, it did. Only use it on occasional trips to send ok signals to my wife.

Still working fine on the original AA lithiums! I'm still watching for the flashing red light. :grin:

I'll try tracking my way to the UN and see if I get the flashing red.

Roy

Got mine for Christmas last year. Put in lithium AAs. Don't use tracking much, just early on to see if it worked as advertised. In general, it did. Only use it on occasional trips to send ok signals to my wife.

Still working fine on the original AA lithiums!

A set of lithium batteries will last nigh on forever in a SPOT unit if you don't do lot of tracking.

Archived