IGNORED

Anyone bought a used Zumo?

EddyQ

I have a used Zumo 550 and would like to get it to speed. Pardon my lack of knowledge here. This will be my first Garmin if I get these issues resolved.

The first problem is Garmin website will not register the unit to me. "Already registered to another user" I figure a call to Garmin will resolve. No??

Second, the friend that is selling it to me lost the Mapsource DVD and any unlock codes. So, How do I get Mapsource?? Again, I think with $$ to Garmin, this can be resolved. No?? What would I be buying?

Third,the unit was purchaced about a year ago. It was never installed on a bike and only registered, 2009 maps and appears to have SW upgrades to 4.4. The unit is new and still in the box! But, I suspect any map upgrades periods have expired. SO, I think the unit will need a map upgrade purchace. Especially since I may need to buy another MapSource program.

All this is looking like a bundle of $$. The full-up NT 2010 map costs ~$100. What will the Mapsouce cost?? Transfer registration costs? Is this unit worth it?? Should I give it back to my friend??

Garmin will answer your ?'s on upgrade costs etc. I'd give it back and get what you want. Refurbed units can be found fully warrantied and with current software and maps very reasonably. Check places like GPS City, search NextTag, etc.

Slow down a moment and go over to the Zumo forum...

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

Navigate to the General Zumo information forum and ask your questions. You will have to call Garmin Support: 1-800-800-1020 for some of your issues.

Mapsource is available and you should be able to get it at no cost. Probably from an individual.

Map version 2009 is useful and not to worry. Be sure you use the same version of Mapsource on both your unit and Mapsource map.

The unit software updates are free. The Mapsource updates are free too. Mapsource is actually two things that look like one. First- Mapsource is the software that lets the unit communicate to/from your computer. Second it is the mapping and map software for your computer. Make your life simple and ask for/go find version 6.13.7.

Also find the wiki for the Zumo. It was put together by a friend on the board and contains not only good information but many links to software.

The first thing is contact Garmin about the registration. They will be able to help you at no charge. This is a common question/issue. Call them at a time other than first thing on a Monday and you will get right through.

p.s. I am a Moderator at the Zumo site.

I have a used Zumo 550 and would like to get it to speed. Pardon my lack of knowledge here. This will be my first Garmin if I get these issues resolved.

The first problem is Garmin website will not register the unit to me. "Already registered to another user" I figure a call to Garmin will resolve. No??

Second, the friend that is selling it to me lost the Mapsource DVD and any unlock codes. So, How do I get Mapsource?? Again, I think with $$ to Garmin, this can be resolved. No?? What would I be buying?

Third,the unit was purchaced about a year ago. It was never installed on a bike and only registered, 2009 maps and appears to have SW upgrades to 4.4. The unit is new and still in the box! But, I suspect any map upgrades periods have expired. SO, I think the unit will need a map upgrade purchace. Especially since I may need to buy another MapSource program.

All this is looking like a bundle of $$. The full-up NT 2010 map costs ~$100. What will the Mapsouce cost?? Transfer registration costs? Is this unit worth it?? Should I give it back to my friend??

If the unit was (as you said) regeistered to the previous owner, then he must have set up a Garmin account and the unlock codes are all right there in the Garmin acct. Get the login info. from the prev. owner and login as the new owner. Once in, you can change the info. Mapsource software is free--D/L from Garmin.

Thank you for that Hopz!

I got a zumo included when I bought my GS and we're working w/Garmin to get it unregistered so we can register it.

Their support (Garmin) is top rate though and they have helped me several times.

Slow down a moment and go over to the Zumo forum...

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?action=forum

Been there and learned a real lot. Also spent time on the wiki. I did post something on the "Installation section". But, at that time, it probably was the wrong questions. I will go back and ask specifically how to get Mapsource and maps when I have no DVD disks.

Mapsource is available and you should be able to get it at no cost. Probably from an individual.

Map version 2009 is useful and not to worry. Be sure you use the same version of Mapsource on both your unit and Mapsource map.

The unit software updates are free. The Mapsource updates are free too. Mapsource is actually two things that look like one. First- Mapsource is the software that lets the unit communicate to/from your computer. Second it is the mapping and map software for your computer. Make your life simple and ask for/go find version 6.13.7.

This sounds like a great plan. I'm getting excited. So, I can install Mapsource from anyone who has it? No registrations ect. . .??

How do I get 2009 Maps into the Mapsource that I get?? Perhaps this comes with registration through Garmin?

The first thing is contact Garmin about the registration. They will be able to help you at no charge. This is a common question/issue. Call them at a time other than first thing on a Monday and you will get right through..

Will do this on Monday.

p.s. I am a Moderator at the Zumo site.

I noticed that !! And I noticed that you have helped many there and here on this forum !!

If the unit was (as you said) regeistered to the previous owner, then he must have set up a Garmin account and the unlock codes are all right there in the Garmin acct.

You see, the previous owner passed away (heart attack). :eek: His sister has no clue.

Well, today I had some time and contacted Garmin. Took about an hour to get through to a support person. After that, things went better. He said the proper way to sell a unit would be to un-register the unit with your "my garmin" account.

Then the resistration site would allow another owner to register the unit. But, this was not an option for me. The support person asked me some questions to verify I do not have a stolen unit and proceeded to un-register the unit. Then I needed the brouser webupdater plug-in. After that, I was able to register the unit. Now that I have a "my garmin" account, I can view all the lock code info. But, I still have no DVD which contains the maps and MapSource. So, the support person said I could buy Mapsource for $25 or buy a map upgrade ($69) and get both.

I opted to buy the map upgrade. I ordered the DVD and it should arrive this week.

One good thing is that with the registration, a 10% discount code was give to me and so the $69 DVD cost me $62.

I'm a little weiry if this will work. Since the call, I downloaded MapSource Update version 6.13.7 from a link in garminzumo.wikispaces.com. Simply running this download didn't work. The installer wants to see a previous version of Mapsource. So, I found a site which said to uncompress the installer file with WinRAR and run main.msi and then run setup.exe. This worked fine and installed Mapsource. But Mapsource does not run without maps installed. Guess I should have guessed that would happen. So . .. . I wait til later this week and hopefully the new DVD will install and run.

Archived