IGNORED

Help me figure out a GPS for Europe!

BeemerLover

BeemerLover

I'll be riding in Europe in September. The rental company will rent us a Zumo for about $200 for 10 days which seems pricey. But it does have Europe maps and the connectors to move it from bike to bike.

We will be traveling in Germany, Austria, Switzerland and Italy. We have great paper maps and tank bags and would use the GPS to help us understand where we are as the maps are not that detailed. Creating routes is not a priority.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 200w with North American maps (no Canada or Mexico) It is a basic model but might be able to take Europe maps? I use it on my bike. It isn't waterproof but I put a plastic bag over it if it rains or just take it off.

One of the guys going with us has the Mottorrad II (or III?). It does not have Europe maps on it.

Anyway, is there some way I can can save some money here? Seems like Europe maps might not cost that much and the Ram mount needed might not be too expensive. But then it might not be worth the hassle to buy and install everything.

Nice n Easy Rider

Gael,

When I looked into downloading the Garmin Europe maps in May they were about $100. Not cheap but still better than the $200 rental for the Zumo as long as your Nuvi does what you need.

Seems to me that your nuvi should do just fine. I got two nuvi 500's for our x-c trip this spring, and a couple of RAM mounts (we had two bikes). That setup really worked out swell.

The RAM mounts are suprisingly inexpensive. If you can put Europe maps in your nuvi, I'd go that route. Zumo's are nice, but I don't see that they're worth all the extra dough, myself.

If it's a question between any gps, and using paper maps only, man, get that gps cooked up. It's really nice to not be hopelessly lost all the time - especially while trying to read foreign languages on the signs...

der Wanderer

Gael, seems like a no brainer to me. If you have not done so yet, go to the Garmin web site, register. You get 10% off for 30 days. Buy the Europe maps for your device, and here you go.

You mention planning routes is not a priority. If that changes, the best solution is Microsoft's Autoroute - the equivalent to Streets and Trips. Alternatively (not as good but free) try viamichelin.com

Can you buy an inexpensive European version Garmin Nuvi or whatever (not a Zumo!) then resell it after your trip? I think I've seen European Nuvis for around $150, but it's when some time since I looked.

BeemerLover

Great ideas, thanks to all!

FYI, we'll be using paper maps from here: http://www.uem-moto.eu/Tourism/OnlineUEMmaps/MR6frontside/tabid/255/Default.aspx

They can be downloaded in PDF format and printed out. I wish they were converted to some format that I could just put into the GPS.

I'll go to the Garmin site and see what I can figure out, look into Autoroute and viamichelin.com.

Deek, where have you been looking for the European Nuvi's?

der Wanderer

The ADAC maps are not that good IMHO... and often outdated. Autoroute, or just plain old Michelin paper maps, are much better.

Hi Gael,

you might be interested in this link before you drown in soaked papers on a rainy day:

http://www.zintech.co.uk/product/25

10 days of hire for approx. 70 dollars.

If you had a TomTom we could have swapped, I am going biking in the US in September :clap:

I have already bought and downloaded the US maps though...

Best wishes from Sweden,

Felix

BeemerLover

Felix, that is exactly what I was looking for!!! I have e-mailed them to see if they can deliver the GPS to a Munich pension. Thanks!

Anything I can help with to make your trip better? I know the North Carolina and Colorado mountains extremely well.

just an aside, if you are touring the Alps in September, bring waterproofs and lots of layers, it can and does snow at that time of year, and if it rains it calls in the clans :) of course you can also have some stunning days as well so enjoy, google maps and google world are very good fro research as well.

BeemerLover

Yes we are planning for rain and cold. Hope it isn't too bad or snowy! But the fall in Bavaria, Switzerland, Austria and northern Italy is supposed to be drier than other times of the year. Hope that holds true for us!

"...Deek, where have you been looking for the European Nuvi's?..."

eBay. Be sure to search for Europe and verify the seller can and will send to you in the USA, assuming that's what you are now.

If you were travelling further East I would recommend a TomTom, as they have fully detailed maps. Garmin is apparently lacking in cover for Poland, Slovakia and the like. For the countries you mention you really should download the maps for your device. There really is no justification for buying another!

I have a TomTom and just fitted a larger SD card and downloaded Europe maps (previously only had UK).

We had a touring holiday in June, riding in a loose group with several other riders, armed with a variety of gps units between us. In the main we found it preferable to find our own way, as at a T junction in the middle of nowhere they would routinely disagree on which way to turn!

At least with one in your back pocket it always knows exactly where you are, even if you have trouble working it out for yourself! Michelin maps are probably as good as it gets. I hold the view that a gps should always be backed up with a map.

a gps should always be backed up with a map.

+1 on that..

The Garmin Nuvi 670 comes loaded with North America and Euro maps.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=31948&ra=true

I got mine NIB on Ebay and I've used it in England, Ireland, Germany, Italy, Poland, Czech Republic, Russia and of course the the US, with very few problems. But I always, always back up with a map.

And maybe I'm old fashioned but sometimes I actually prefer a good map. Sure, a GPS keep my eyes on the road and I don't have to stop as often but, for me, I somehow get a stronger sense of adventure with a map.. and my maps don't nag me to turn left in 500 feet.

BeemerLover

I agree. I don't use the routing feature on my Nuvi 200w at all, just watch the screen as I drive along with the paper map in the tank bag. Actually that is what we will do in Europe -- plan our rides on paper maps then use the GPS to make sure we are on the correct roads and to see the roads coming up so we don't miss a turn.

I just searched eBay as Deek suggested and noticed a lot of Garmin SD cards with Europe maps for sale. I went to the Garmin website to figure out what I need and and found that I can get City Navigator Europe NT Alps + DACH for $100 on a micro SD card. This one map will cover all the areas we will travel except for Slovenia. Question: If I buy this and use it on my NUVI 200w for the trip can I sell the SD card when I get home or does the Garmin unit somehow make the SD card unusable on any other unit?

Thanks for your help, everyone....

• 3 weeks later...
I agree. I don't use the routing feature on my Nuvi 200w at all, just watch the screen as I drive along with the paper map in the tank bag. Actually that is what we will do in Europe -- plan our rides on paper maps then use the GPS to make sure we are on the correct roads and to see the roads coming up so we don't miss a turn.

I just searched eBay as Deek suggested and noticed a lot of Garmin SD cards with Europe maps for sale. I went to the Garmin website to figure out what I need and and found that I can get City Navigator Europe NT Alps + DACH for $100 on a micro SD card. This one map will cover all the areas we will travel except for Slovenia. Question: If I buy this and use it on my NUVI 200w for the trip can I sell the SD card when I get home or does the Garmin unit somehow make the SD card unusable on any other unit?

Thanks for your help, everyone....

For my TomTom maps I bought a blank card and downloaded the maps off the internet. You may be able to sell your Garmin maps after you have used them but think this through!

You may need your Garmin maps in plenty of time before your trip, to plan your travels. When you buy them ensure they are the very latest version. Garmin will encourage you to update them at frequent intervals. By the time you get home they may be several months old, so you will be looking to sell them to someone who has not read the last but one sentence!

Archived