IGNORED

Insurance renewal- which company

KCB

Sort of a dry but necessary question, Time to renew and the last time was rushed. Presently have GMAC, not too expensive but, they

do not offer road assist/trailer/towing. BMWOA's Markel company had a reasonable quote as well as Foremost. Any suggestions? does anyone use AAA in conjunction with your bike policy? Do they allow a motorcycle to be towed? Did a search on this site and very little info came up, maybe the wrong wording, I'm sure this has been covered before, just need a little direction/suggestions.

Thanks

This year Farmers jacked up all MC rates about 30%, but their sister company (Foremost) is very reasonable so I transferred both policies there. They offer motorcycle towing as part of the coverage (at least in my area). I dropped KOA/Allstate RV Roadhelp towing coverage due to this and saved that expense of $99 a year.

Try AARP - they cover accessories, full safety gear coverage, and offer towing as well. I pay $320.00 a year round. Works well for me when you think about the investment of our safety gear $1,200 plus and our toys (GPS...)...

Wish ya the best

Joe

R1150RT

If you do any rentals, Progressive will cover the rental bike. This is a big plus for me. Note: Apparently policy details vary state to state, so while they cover rentals in Oregon, they may not in other states.

STAY AWAY from AAA insurance.

I am now in the process of changing my insurance back to State Farm because I have a big problem with AAA's billing practices. I left SF last year and went to AAA when they gave me a very good quote. I found out later that AAA levies a FINANCE CHARGE if I elect to make monthly payments, which ultimately added hundreds to my annual insurance cost (I can't afford to pay my annual insurance premium in one lump sum) They did not disclose this practice before I was signing the papers. I found out about it when I got my second bill. I don't care that they call it a finance charge. I pay it, therefore it's a premium. It's sneaky and devious.

Last week I called SF to get a quote. For the same coverages on my auto, bike, and rental, I will save $900 compared to AAA.

As for AAA and 'finance charge', they certainly are NOT the only company to do this. Farmers does as well. Interestingly enough I just switched from Farmers to AAA - and AAA wrote the policy through Progressive, which is who I was with before going to Farmers. It is such an insestious business anyway.

AARP has far too much political leaning for me, but that is another thread. Foremost is the best IMO, had State Farm which got more expensive each 6 month renewal and the only way to reduce premiums was to reduce coverage significantly. NEVER had any claim and had all my insurance thru SF. Farmers gave me better coverage all around, towing, and reduced premiums thru Foremost as mentioned earlier. Obviously location makes a difference so shop shop shop. Agents are hungry so they will usually jump thru hoops to get you what you want. Good luck.

Sometimes the best deals are when you can get discounts from insuring your home and auto with the same carrier. We had USAA, but when comparing prices to insure 1 bikes 2 cars and the house, it was cheaper to go with State Farm.

I had Dairyland for 6 years, used them once, great service no complains.

Went w/o bike for 2 years and tried them again; I got GEICO last year. About the same cost, but they were more affordable than Dairyland terms wise.

Have had no need to use them (knock, knock), hopefully they'll do OK if I ever do. I'll try my best not to find out, though...

FWIW, and we all have a story I know, I had State Farm for many many years - cars, boats, bikes, house, umbrella, etc, no claim. They gave me a no cancel guarantee on one of my cars, like it was some big deal, then each renewal the premium crept up. Finally I found switching everything to Farmers, and the agent put 2 of my bikes with Foremost, saved me $400 plus I had much better coverage. Checked with several of their customers before switching to Farmers, and they said great claim service, no cancellations, very very modest premium increases over the years. Shop shop shop remains the mantra.

I worked in the business for 10+ years. They all suck.

If you get good service, it's an accident.

If you get treated fairly on a claim, the adjuster will get hammered by their manager and won't do it again.

Buy a brand name as cheap as you can. Read the F-ing policy. READ IT. No excuse not to. Know what you've got. If it makes sense financially, switch companies. They will show you no allegiance, do not show them any.

If you have a claim, be relentless. Be nice about it, but make it very clear that you are not bending over for them, and make your case for the value of the bike or damages otherwise they will do a half-reared job and try to give you a ridiculously low amount.

I left the business years ago because it was getting impossible to do my job properly (in my own eyes).

My recent experience with Progressive claims has taken them from recommended (easy to buy, service, and deal with the policy, and good customer service as long as you are giving THEM money) to NO WAY.

Trying to compare the companies is useless, really. Farmers, State Farm, dairyland, progressive, allstate, travelers, foremost, geico, AAA, USAA, whatever.

It's all the same crappy product. Read the policy for minor differences and adjust as you see fit (maybe pay a few bucks for accessories, or for towing coverage).

I worked in the business for 10+ years. They all suck.

If you get good service, it's an accident.

If you get treated fairly on a claim, the adjuster will get hammered by their manager and won't do it again.

Buy a brand name as cheap as you can. Read the F-ing policy. READ IT. No excuse not to. Know what you've got. If it makes sense financially, switch companies. They will show you no allegiance, do not show them any.

If you have a claim, be relentless. Be nice about it, but make it very clear that you are not bending over for them, and make your case for the value of the bike or damages otherwise they will do a half-reared job and try to give you a ridiculously low amount.

I left the business years ago because it was getting impossible to do my job properly (in my own eyes).

My recent experience with Progressive claims has taken them from recommended (easy to buy, service, and deal with the policy, and good customer service as long as you are giving THEM money) to NO WAY.

Trying to compare the companies is useless, really. Farmers, State Farm, dairyland, progressive, allstate, travelers, foremost, geico, AAA, USAA, whatever.

It's all the same crappy product. Read the policy for minor differences and adjust as you see fit (maybe pay a few bucks for accessories, or for towing coverage).

For the most part, I agree. Your insurance agent is the "Good " in the Wizard of Oz. Your claims adjuster is the "Evil " from the same movie.

For the most part, I agree. Your insurance agent is the "Good " in the Wizard of Oz. Your claims adjuster is the "Evil " from the same movie.

Nope.

Your insurance agent will sell you whatever you will buy the quickest, and move on to the next customer. They will over promise and make vague statements about coverages, and if you really need help on a claim they will clam up to protect their E & O insurance from the lies they hinted at, alluded to, but didn't outright tell you in order to get you to buy. They're plenty evil.

Consumers are much better off self-educating enough to buy policies on the internet. The days of agents who knew you, cared about you and helped you find the right policy for your actual needs ended a decade or more ago when agent commissions started getting cut back and they all had to up the number of policies written in order to make the same living.

This all is systematic, and it's part of the industry's race to the bottom- who can be cheapest? Screw service.

Adjusters are screwed. You can put the right person to be fair and reasonable at that job in the system and in a few years they will be a jaded burnout and they'll leave, or they will become a cog in the machine and mindlessly do the bidding of their masters. Rarely you'll find somebody who manages to do what they think is right, and keep a job in the industry with a company who's policies they find acceptable (that's claims policies, not policy contracts) but most of them are resentful of the business going down the tubes and wish they could find a way out. After a decade on the fringe as an independent (with an occasional foray into the darkness of a company), working for clients who were not sheisters I was finally pushed out- well, I jumped but they were pushing.

Until companies do something to right the ship, to un-do all their historic wrongs and get things headed in the right direction there is no alternative but to buy based on price. If a company actually starts to do things RIGHT we'd all be better served if we went with them, cost be damned, because the rest of the market would follow.

How do I know that? Because the market followed Travelers selling homeowner's policies dirt cheap and sight unseen through Costco. It followed Progressive's auto insurance dirt cheap via the internet model. It's followed countless examples right into the toilet it now lives in.

They will follow the money, but right now we're stuck telling them we don't care about anything but price and as consumers we can't create a better option- so while it's somewhat circular, the buck stops with the insurers. They need to give us a better choice, and then it's our responsibility to either pay for that better choice, or forever hold our peace.

Bill_Walker

Well, Fugu, I guess you have every right to be jaded, but I think you may be painting with two broad a brush. I've been with the same State Farm agency for all my insurance for 20 years, give or take, and they've always given me excellent service. My claims have been handled promptly, I've gotten fair settlements, etc. That said, I don't carry the minimums on anything, and I've never had a totaled vehicle. Nor have I compared prices. I have had a couple of homeowner's claims and few dents and windshields.

You've been lucky Bill, and sadly you're becoming the exception.

Of course my comments are jaded as hell. I spent too long in that business for it to be otherwise, and I just spent much too long dealing with Progressive on my totalled bike that should have been open and shut. They ended up giving me exactly what I asked for on day one of the claim, which was the same day I gave them all they needed to justify it- but they made me deal with their stupid process for 10 days to get what I rightfully deserved.

I hope you are all blessed by being exceptions, but staying with an agent for a long time, or a company a long time is no guarantee you will be, and do not be surprised if right after your first claim in XX years, you get dropped anyhow.

Bill, I had been with SF for almost 30 yrs, no claims, just screwed over time. Glad you like them. Farmers may treat me badly in the future but so far their attention to detail and my questions has been outstanding. And. lest any of us forget, ALL COMPANIES, ALL OF THEM, exist to make money. To think they have some other purpose is not logical.

Bill, I had been with SF for almost 30 yrs, no claims, just screwed over time. Glad you like them. Farmers may treat me badly in the future but so far their attention to detail and my questions has been outstanding. And. lest any of us forget, ALL COMPANIES, ALL OF THEM, exist to make money. To think they have some other purpose is not logical.

I guess I have been super lucky then...

I was with State Farm from the time I got my learner's permit until I moved to GA in 81... at which time I found a State Farm agent and have been with the same agent for my car(s) and house ever since...

Of course, when it came time to get motorcycle insurance, I asked them for a quote and the dollar amount I was provided seemed a bit off... so I contacted another agent that shopped prices for me... and for less than the price of a 6 month policy with State Farm, I got a YEAR policy with Dairyland...

One thing that stood out immediately was... Dairyland gave me a discount for my Rider's Edge training, but State Farm wouldn't...

Still... State Farm has treated me very well for the various car(s) that I have had and my house... and yes... I have made several claims over the years and while I felt I got taken a couple times, I never came out still owing on the vehicle when all was said and done...

Regards -

-Bob

Once again a sincere Thank You to All who have responded. With this info in hand and "Fugo's been there" in mind I can uneasily throw money at some company which may or may not give a *#.

Now one more story. Our family had been with one company for years. Each renewal we would review and adjust to suit the situation, then came OLDER, and the invitation from AARP. Hartford group who now insures the home and autos with better coverage and much lower rates. Wish we had all those payments back, thirty years worth. Quote from Foremost, AARP's affiliate was not in line with the parent company. BMWOA Markel seems pretty good for us, but we will talk to them first. Fugo you rock! Inside information is always the best.

Update to follow

Something to consider, I have Allstate and have had them add an additional $2000 to the policy for helmet and riding gear. (Add up the cost of what you ride with and you'll be surprised.)It is something most forget to do and many insurance companies don't even think to consider asking. Also, it is very cheap to do.

bakerzdosen
Something to consider, I have Allstate and have had them add an additional $2000 to the policy for helmet and riding gear. (Add up the cost of what you ride with and you'll be surprised.)It is something most forget to do and many insurance companies don't even think to consider asking. Also, it is very cheap to do.
Dairyland added $3000 (or so, I don't have the policy in front of me) automatically for riding gear when I got my policy. All they do is motorcycles, so it wasn't even an option to have gear NOT covered.

Here is a vote for Foremost. I tried progressive but because I had not had a california M endorsement they wanted to rate me as a new rider and asked for $3000 per year!!!!

Foremost only asked for years of riding experience and that made my insurance on the ST like only $400 a year.

I do not use a local agent - I called the company direct to get the policy. so far its been ok although I have never had to total a bike on it.

JT

I've been with the same State Farm agency for all my insurance for 20 years, give or take, and they've always given me excellent service.

I too have been quite pleased with State Farm for about 17 years so far. They have 3 cars, one bike, and the house. I comparison shop the package every year with a few others, and every year SF has been the lowest. Over the years they have totalled two cars and have delighted me with the settlement.

If only they covered rental bikes like Progressive does.

I had been with Snake Farm for 30 years. A few months ago, the 2 RT's came up for renewal and the $2000/year just seemed a little high, so I finally got off my ass and shopped it with Geico. Geico was $1200/year for the exact same coverage. So then I shopped my auto insurance--same story--saved $600/year on 2 cars. Said adios to my agent, who just shrugged and moved on to the next sucker. No excuses or apologies for being so high, no desire to keep my business.

And I agree completely with Fugu. I have no allegiance to Geico either, they were just able to provide the exact same services for substantially less, but I'll drop them in a heartbeat for a better deal. Shame on me for wasting thousands of $$$$ over the years. Customer service: they all suck, unless you're a shining example of a customer, with almost no claims/tickets/etc.

Sort of a dry but necessary question, Time to renew and the last time was rushed. .............

Anyone but Progressive would be my recommendation.

Geico had good service and prices when I canceled my Progressive about a year ago. However, I ended up with USAA as all my other insurance is with them.

Archived