IGNORED

What kind of riding suit do you like?

Rustydust

I am planning on buying me riding suit for the 1st time in 42 years of riding. Due to my size (6'0" and 260 lbs)I am limited as to what all is out there. Aerostitch has a suit that will fit me, but if I can find a good suit for a bit cheaper that would be fine with me.

So, what do you guys think? If a "Stitch" is the one you think that I should get, then I may just have to bite the bullet and get one. Oh, and what do you think is better? The two piece or the one piece suit?

Thanks to all

Russ

I prefer the 2 piece Stitch. They're expensive, but mine is about 14 years old now and still kicking. Could very well be the last suit I ever buy. They'll do tailoring as you need it for semi-reasonable prices. I send mine in to fix all the velcro, zipper pulls, whatever that needs to mended every 5-6 years and it comes back like new.

I prefer the two piece only because I sometimes, although rarely, wear the jacket alone in hot weather. Many prefer the 1 piece, and others will give you good leads for less expensive stuff.

It's pretty hot when it get into the 90's or even high 80's with humidity and traffic, so I also have a summer vented jacket I use for the real heat.

I have a mesh kevlar Motoport jacket and pants and have not seen anything I'd rather ride in. It is comfortable to about 85, if you are moving. With the gore-tex liner and a thin base layer, it is comfortable to 40-45. I got caught in a severe storm last week and the suit is absolutely waterproof. The only downside is that the jacket is a bit heavy and the armour takes a little while to conform.

Scott

That 2pc 'stich will do almost everything you could ask (except, and it's arguable, extreme heat).

Ask yourself this: 1) Do you push the envelope on what's considered "good riding weather", or would you rather save the bike for those blue-bird days when things are comfy? And 2) are you going on all day, week-long or longer rides where weather will be variable, and time waiting-out storms is an issue? Do you have room to bring extra rain gear, mesh, etc?

Your answers will let you know if you should try to save a few clams or not. Also, lots of folks will tell you that those roadcrafters will outlast a lot of alternatives, so the price may average out for you. I have a two piece, and I wouldn't buy anything else, unless I lived in the South. However, I do also have a mesh jacket for hot summer use.

Couple of other thoughts, if you do decide on a 'stich: #1 the two-piece is more versatile for hot weather. #2 go ahead and order two or three suits ("whatever color's on the shelf"), in appropriate sizes, and try them on. Carefully consider whether the size off the shelf really fits, or if you need custom alterations. Then send them all back and order the size and color you need. It may seem like waste of postage, but it's worth a few extra bucks to have your $$$$ suit fit perfectly. That suit will last for years (see previous post), you don't want an ill-fitting 14 years... #3 try it on with and without layers underneath. Fit it so that you can cram 2 light - medium weight sweaters and long-johns underneath without restricting your movement too much. You want to feel a bit like the michelin man, but you still need to be able to pick your keys up off the ground. In the summer, that should leave you with enough room for air-flow inside, yet not be too sloppy big and flap around when you're just wearing shorts and a t-shirt....

Hope that helps.

Vinny, what do you do for pants/leg protection when you use the summer vented jacket?

Good question. I'd like to take the fifth on this, but I won't. When it's real hot I just wear the jacket with no protective pants. It probably makes around 5-10% of my total riding, the balance is with the 2 pc. Stich. I bought the mesh jacket 2 seasons ago, thinking I would buy mesh pants as well, but never got around to the pants.

I'm about 2 months from buying a new bike, and will probably buy some mesh pants this fall as well.

Russ,

I've found the Olympia suits to be well tailored, and reasonably priced. I recently purchased the Recon 2 vented jacket and pants and the airflow is terrific. As it begins to cool down I can layer underneath with UnderArmour cold gear or just go to simple insulated tops and bottoms. Olympia has many different suit combinations (no, I have no stake in the company) and I'm sure if you need some with liners, they have them as well. Here you go:

http://www.olympiamotosports.com

Bruce

der Wanderer

Did not mean to catch you... with your protective pants down ;)

I have a new Olympia Airglide 2 jacket which I really like. I tend to find myself doing the same (not really ATGATT) thing (jacket, but normal non protective pants) and I was wondering if there was a new trick for me to learn.

Thanks!

I have recently purchased Joe Rocker pants to match the Joe Rocker jacket that a friend gave me - he outgrew it...

Once I remembered to REMOVE the lining and open the vents, the pants are comfortable... just have to remember to wear light under them...

I also have a First Gear mesh jacket which is a little cooler than the Joe Rocker, but not as protective against the weather... but has a liner that will add to water proofing a bit...

so... 2 piece to allow me more options as to what I can afford and what will fit me... and maybe one day I will step up to those nicer jackets and pants... but for now am happy with what I have...

Regards -

-Bob

I have a stich 1-piece that is hardly used that may work for you. I bought it then proceeded to lose 80 lbs during the time I waited for it. So I bought another one....smaller. Let me know if you're leaning that way.

I have multiple jackets, pants, for different seasons.

Alpinestars Dri-star for winter

Olympia air for 3 season use

Leather for 2 season use.

And, sorry for a hijack,

Hey where ya been Charlie?

Been a year has it?

hope all is well.

MB>

I have a Motoport Mesh Kevlar suit. I have worn it for about 70K miles now and it has been good for me from 115 down to 25 degress without electrics. But, I am a fairly hardy soul, YMMV rules here! You mentioned price concerns. Yes, ALL the good stuff is expensive. But when you depreciate it out over 10 years, the good stuff is actually quite a value. Motoport has a seven year, YES, 7 year warranty. And if you crash it they will repair for no charge if you manage to hurt the gear. Who does that?????????????? And no, I don't work for them, Wayne the owner of Motoport is just good people.

I wear a Rev'It Air in the warm months and a heavy Rev'it jacket for the winter months (sorry forget the name).

http://www.revitusa.com/

For pants I use the Olympia mesh pants in the Summer, and a non-mesh BMW pant in the winter (discontinued). I LOVE the Olympia pants because they're the only riding pant I've found that I can put on/off without taking off my boots.

http://www.olympiamotosports.com/

I use "Warm N Safe" heated gear for gloves and a jacket, and my rain gear is the BMW 1 piece ProRain2 suit. I think a one piece for rain gear is a no-brainer because it does a much better job keeping water out. Also you can put it on in a good 15 seconds.

Archived