IGNORED

shocks

taters

is it true that if one buys a new bmw and gets the esa option then one can't get aftermarket shocks?eg ohlins, wilburs

Just curious--is this some more typical dealer mis-information?

Mark,

I'm curious. What didn't you like about the standard ESA on your RT? What were you trying to achieve by replacing with Ohlins? Have you found them to be better? Was this for you, your passenger, both? Curious.

Bruce

I just installed Ohlins on my 2006 RT with ESA. I have to say I liked the ESA system but the shocks were very worn at 42000 miles. I could have gone with replacement ESA factory shocks but the price is prohibitive and they are not rebuildable. If the factory shocks were rebuildable I would have kept them. Believe me, I tried several shops to find out if they could be rebuilt, no dice. No parts are availible for the job.

Having said all of this I am truely delighted with the Ohlins. I ordered mine from Dan Kyle Racing and the support has been great. They ordered the correct springs for my riding weight and the Dynamic Sag measurements were spot on as delivered. Damping was very close and required no adjustment in the front and 1 click firmer on the rear.

I unplugged the ESA connections and wrapped the bike connectors in small zip locks should the future owner want to go back to this system.

Overall I have found the Ohlins a major upgrade in handling and comfort. Both Ohlins can be rebuilt for about $225.00 by Kyle Racing. According to Kyle this should be done around 30000 miles. I am happy with this upgrade.

is it true that if one buys a new bmw and gets the esa option then one can't get aftermarket shocks?eg ohlins, wilburs

Just curious--is this some more typical dealer mis-information?

No.

But it is a typical post from someone.

Hope it is cheaper than therapy.

;)

Mark,

I'm curious. What didn't you like about the standard ESA on your RT? What were you trying to achieve by replacing with Ohlins? Have you found them to be better? Was this for you, your passenger, both? Curious.

Bruce

It was fairly simple. While I liked the convenience of ESA, the price for replacement OEM ESA shocks was outrageous. The rear alone was $2,000 USD. You could imagine the total for two struts + installation. It was a financial decision for the most part. I got Ohlins at the MOA rally in Tennessee in July. Ohlins USA partnered with one of its dealers (Max Moto of California). Ohlins USA got my and my wife's weight, riding style etc. They then selected the appropriate springs, assembled the shocks and then set the initial adjustments. Max Moto then installed them, after which Ohlins USA reps did the final setup with me. Could not have been more convenient and professionally done. Total cost for front and rear shocks (ncluding installation and 9.5% TN sales tax) was $1,720 USD. BTW, my bike had about 50,000 miles.

It was fairly simple. While I liked the convenience of ESA, the price for replacement OEM ESA shocks was outrageous.

And that's one of the glaring flaws in the ESA concept, in that BMW is equipping their bikes with a common wear item that is prohibitively expensive to replace. And the answer seems to be ESA2, with elements that make it even more difficult to effect any kind of aftermarket rebuild. :smirk:

markgoodrich
Mark,

Bruce

I'm a different Mark, but I'll give you my two cents: the ESA front shock was always a problem, very harsh, essentially way too much high speed compression damping (or the other way around... :dopeslap:). The rear shock was like a pogo stick on some settings, way too soft on other settings. It was hard to hold a line in a corner. I switched to manual aftermarket shocks, and the bike was transformed into a much more precise, fun machine to ride. I don't miss the ESA at all, and I switch back and forth between solo and two up all the time. Just takes a minute to change the rear preload and damping. Front never needs adjusting. MORE IMPORTANT than brand of shock is the setup for the various loads.

Does anyone think a good match might be a Ohlins front and a Works or Hyperpro (I think that's the name) in the rear retaining the the system? Since the front doesn't really need much adjustment for different loads.

Just a thought.

I'm going to upgrade my shocks with Works. I currently have 33k on the bike and the shocks are defintely starting to wear out.

My reasons:

1) I like the convenience of ESA and would like to keep it.

2) Cheaper than Ohlins. Ohlins are better but I don't think I will notice a significant difference.

3) They are local to me so I can do a drive in appointment.

Works BMW ESA shocks

Archived