IGNORED

Richard_D

Does the 2610 have a limited amount of memory or can it handle all of NA without slowing it down ? I never had a GPS.

Firefight911
Does the 2610 have a limited amount of memory or can it handle all of NA without slowing it down ? I never had a GPS.

You'll be fine. They come with all of NA installed when new. Do NOT, however, compare tham on a speed basis with the more current GPSs available. It's just like buying a new computer, the new ones are faster. I still have my 2610 for hte car and it works great. Enjoy!!

Does the 2610 have a limited amount of memory or can it handle all of NA without slowing it down ?

The 2610 uses a standard compactflash card so memory expansion is cheap and easy, but if the seller already has all of North America loaded then you have all you need. As Phil said, no worries... it's not exactly state-of-the-art anymore but still a perfectly usable GPS.

Bill_Walker

Make sure you get the activation codes (or whatever, I forget what they're called) from the seller, or you won't be able to update your maps.

Or never mind, because I don't think they're doing any more map updates on the 2610 (at least they're not showing the '09 update for mine!).

Jerry Johnston

I wouldn't even worry about having all of North America on one CF chip. I have my four surrounding states on one chip and other states are on different chips. It's slightly faster that way - works kinda like your computer hd - if it doesn't have as much to search through when looking up a name it will find what it needs quicker. If you're going to take a trip and travel through every state then you may want it all on one.

I have a 2 year old well cared for Garmin Streetpilot 2610 for sale. I have replaced it with a Zumo and may actually be regretting it, so if you want the 2610, let me know before I change my mind.

It comes complete with motorcycle mount, ( RAM Ball attached ) DC power supply cable with inline fuse, Security Screwdriver, AC Charger, Car dash stickie mount with cigarette lighter power supply and built in speaker, Manuals, Remote, USB Cable, 2GB SD Card loaded with 2008 maps for all of North America. (There is a 2009 update available for purchase from Garmin.) SD USB card reader and a hard plastic screen dust cover.

The unit works flawlessly and if you happen to be a BMW rider, it has all the Motorrad dealers for the U.S and Canada preloaded.

Side note.....this sale does not include Garmin software disks requiring unlock codes. The maps were downloaded directly to the SD card from Garmin. If you need disks, they can be obtained with the 2009 update.

(This is the add and I don't know if it's important that he doesn't have the disks. Should I be concerned ?)

Richard,

What price?

There are plenty of $200 GPS units out there, refurbished, w/warranty.

I paid $220 for a "new" 2730 delivered to the door.

Current maps, all car gear, manuals, unlocks, and the XM hockey puck antenna.

It has features my old 2730 didn't,plus my pld unit had old maps.

An update aof maps and replacing the hockey puck wouldv'e cost more than this new unit.

2610's should be out there for well under $200.

Make sure you get the activation codes (or whatever, I forget what they're called) from the seller, or you won't be able to update your maps.

I just went through an ordeal with a used Zumo purchace. Bottom line, be sure the seller un-registers the unit and maps through Garmin for you to register and make updates. Then, make sure you get the maps and codes to unlock everything.

EddyQ , According to his add, all the maps are loaded so why should I need to do anything ? For $135 delivered and 2008 maps ,don't you think it's worth it ?

EddyQ , According to his add, all the maps are loaded so why should I need to do anything ? For $135 delivered and 2008 maps ,don't you think it's worth it ?

I'm not saying it isn't worth it. All I'm saying is the seller should un-register the unit.

You see, Garmin GPS's(at least with my Zumo) have firmware, MapSource and electronic Maps. For you to

update any of them in the future, I think you will need to "own" the unit and software through Garmin. You may even

need to register in order to put the software and maps on your PC even with un-lock codes(that I am not sure of).

The official way Garmin does this is through a registration process. It should be simple.

Perhaps you have no plans to install Mapsoure or any maps on your PC and don't have plans to update anything.

If so, you can do without my suggestion. All I know is that I was very lucky to have Garmin switch registration for me

since the seller could not un-register the unit. I had one person from ZumoForums PM me saying they would not do this for him.

It is worth asking the seller to do to avoid long phone calls and perhaps more money out the door. BTW, in my case, the seller could not

fine the DVD disks. Cost me $70 for a new map update and I am still not sure that will work.

He called Garmin and un-registered it today. As far as the disk's , I asked him and this was his answer : As stated in the ad, there are no disks because I loaded the maps directly to the SD card rather than ordering the DVD. ( That is the benefit of the 2 gb card, it can hold all of the maps, so I never needed to use a computer to load and unload maps. ) I have never been a fan of the Mapsource software and I am also a Mac user. The software for the 2610 is not Mac compatible. However, if you are planning on updating the maps anyway, rather than downloading the updated maps, as I did, just get them on a DVD, there is no difference in cost and you will get a copy of the mapsource program on the DVD which you can install on your PC.

I can see why a Mac user may take a pass but if you have a PC then you probably do want a copy of the map database and Mapsource. Mapsource may not be the best trip planning software in existence but it's much more pleasant to plan long trips and/or create complex routes on a PC and then download it to the unit vs. trying to do it all on a small touchscreen. This is in fact one advantage of the 2610 over some later units that don't support this feature.

It's not the end if the world to not have the disks but if you order any updates in the future I would definitely go with a DVD set vs. a direct-to-memory upgrade.

Bill_Walker
I can see why a Mac user may take a pass but if you have a PC then you probably do want a copy of the map database and Mapsource. Mapsource may not be the best trip planning software in existence but it's much more pleasant to plan long trips and/or create complex routes on a PC and then download it to the unit vs. trying to do it all on a small touchscreen. This is in fact one advantage of the 2610 over some later units that don't support this feature.

It's not the end if the world to not have the disks but if you order any updates in the future I would definitely go with a DVD set vs. a direct-to-memory upgrade.

Garmin has route planning software for the Mac, as well, called RoadTrip. It's not quite as full-featured as MapSource, but it's adequate for basic stuff. And you'll also need the maps on DVD (or new ones downloaded from Garmin) for this.

der Wanderer

Or never mind, because I don't think they're doing any more map updates on the 2610 (at least they're not showing the '09 update for mine!).

I bought a 2610 a few weeks ago (for $85!!!). Works beautifully for a 5 year old piece of computer hardware.

It has rather outdated maps (the version of City Navigator it came I was given unlock codes for is NA v6). I could not get an update online, so I contacted Garmin. Here is what they told me:

"You should be able to purchase and unlock code for that version of mapping for your device. This will be the last update you will be able to do on that device because it uses the old version of mapping. If you ever want to update your mapping again you will need to upgrade your unit. I recommend upgrading to a Nuvi now and putting the money you would spend on the map update toward the purchase of a unit. If you would still like assistance in purchasing an unlock for you unit, please contact Product Support."

The 2610 is just fine for me now, and I am not getting a Nuvi, so I'll get the maps. Do make sure you get unlock codes when you buy your device.

On a related note, I resent the forced purchase by preventing map updates. I won't restart on anticompetitive practices and bundling by Garmin...

I have recieved the un-lock code. What year maps do you have . This one was updated in 2008. I think I'll try it like it is before I update the maps. I'm not a big traveller and that's why I didn't want to spend the money on a Zumo. This used to be what everyone raved about a few years ago so I'm sure I'll like it . I'll make sure I don't try a Zumo to compare.

On a related note, I resent the forced purchase by preventing map updates.

Just FWIW while the effect on the consumer may be the same I don't think the reason that map updates are going away for the 2610 has anything to do with any nefarious plans to force users to buy a new unit so much as the fact that the 2610 is one of the last units using the old (non-NT) map database structure. Garmin probably just wants to get away from releasing two identical updates in the NT and non-NT versions since he latter is supporting only a few older legacy units these days. In any event I don't see this as a huge problem for 2610 owners as if you update to the latest (and apparently last available) 2009 version then it will take quite a number of years before the device's functionality is really impaired as roads don't really change that much each year. By the time the 2009 database is out-of-date enough to really matter I don't think there will be too many 2610s still alive.

But then again the advice to 'buy a Nuvi' is pretty lame in this instance since Nuvi's aren't waterproof and thus not really appropriate for a motorcycle application. For that purpose you are pretty much forced to buy a Zumo at a considerably higher expense.

++1

BeemerLover

I have a Nuvi 200w and it works well. Cost me about $120 and, if it looks like it will rain, I either put a plastic zip lock bag over it or take it off when I stop to put on my rain gear. Been through some downpours with it covered with the zip lock - no problems. It has a really bright 4.3" screen that I can see with the sun behind me an with my sunglasses on. Call me cheap but my farkle budget goes much further with the extra $$$ the zumo costs.

der Wanderer
I have recieved the un-lock code. What year maps do you have . This one was updated in 2008. I think I'll try it like it is before I update the maps. I'm not a big traveller and that's why I didn't want to spend the money on a Zumo. This used to be what everyone raved about a few years ago so I'm sure I'll like it . I'll make sure I don't try a Zumo to compare.

I think you may have close to the last version it will ever support so you should be fine as-is. No need to change much.

der Wanderer

Just FWIW while the effect on the consumer may be the same I don't think the reason that map updates are going away for the 2610 has anything to do with any nefarious plans to force users to buy a new unit so much as the fact that the 2610 is one of the last units using the old (non-NT) map database structure. Garmin probably just wants to get away from releasing two identical updates in the NT and non-NT versions since he latter is supporting only a few older legacy units these days.

Very possible but would be solved with an open interface for maps, enabling me to import the maps of my vendor of choice. There are enough mapping devices out there that a replacement market would likely be quite competitive and inexpensive.

In any event I don't see this as a huge problem for 2610 owners as if you update to the latest (and apparently last available) 2009 version then it will take quite a number of years before the device's functionality is really impaired as roads don't really change that much each year. By the time the 2009 database is out-of-date enough to really matter I don't think there will be too many 2610s still alive.

I happen to disagree... major roads don't, but cities do quite a bit, places change names, hotels or restaurants get built, gas stations close (and that can be pretty annoying)...

But then again the advice to 'buy a Nuvi' is pretty lame in this instance since Nuvi's aren't waterproof and thus not really appropriate for a motorcycle application. For that purpose you are pretty much forced to buy a Zumo at a considerably higher expense.

Yes and that is not in the budget! The 2610 works perfectly. I just have old maps...

I just sold my VStrom and let the 2610 go with it. I think I might regret that. It was a great unit. I had a 2GB card and the entire US and Canada loaded. It was fast enough for me. I am a Mac user too, and used Garmin Road Trip, free from Garmin to manage the unit (along with Map Manager). Very efficient. I could do the routes on Road Trip, then load them to the 2610. I now need to find a replacement to go on my new RT. Thinking of the 2820 or something close to that.

der Wanderer

Does anyone know the largest Compact Flash memory card that the 2610 can read? Seems like 2GB will work, anybody tried bigger?

Does anyone know the largest Compact Flash memory card that the 2610 can read? Seems like 2GB will work, anybody tried bigger?

The problem ends up being the number of map segments, which limits the practical maximum memory size. There is a limit (think it is 2032, or something in that vicinity) to the total number of map segments that can be sent to the unit, and if you hit this limit then additional memory will do you no good. Obviously this is more of an issue with map databases that use smaller segments (such as R&R and Topo, etc.), but in general I've found the 2gb is a pretty good practical maximum.

Bill_Walker

I think 2GB is the limit. And it will hold all of North America. If you need Europe, or south America, pop in another CF card and load 'em on that.

der Wanderer

So I am still trying to understand this... Can I use an NT map with a 2610, even though Garmin won't encourage me?

Thanks

So I am still trying to understand this... Can I use an NT map with a 2610, even though Garmin won't encourage me?

Thanks

I don't believe an NT map will work with the 2610. The NT maps use a different compression algorithm which the 26x0 firmware doesn't support. The map bases are otherwise identical (including retail cost) so I can't imagine why Garmin would have produced them both for several years if the NT versions were compatible with older units.

der Wanderer

Makes sense, but I have heard otherwise from hacks. I don't want to pirate software, even if I believe Garmin is acting inappropriately. I guess I'll take my last update and move on...

Incidentally, those are the same maps you can get with Streets and Trips, for $35 altogether (with a 2 months free trial). Annoying to have to pay 3 times as much or more - and then have no upgrade path.

Makes sense, but I have heard otherwise from hacks.

Well that's an interesting thought. Since Garmin won't sell you an unlock code for an NT product on your 2610 there isn't any official way to find out, but there are a host of tools out there that will allow you to generate your own unlock codes so it wouldn't be hard to test. Maybe I'll give it a try with the CN2010 NT version and see if it works in my 2610, but again I kind of doubt it only because if it did I can't see why Garmin would have bothered to sell the non-NT versions these last several years.

My memory may be faulty, but I would swear that a couple of years ago I was able to get a second unlock code and run the same NT maps in my NavII/2610 as in my daughter's c340. But then the next update came around and Garmin would no longer sell me the second unlock code.

der Wanderer

Got some more rather lame answers from Garmin:

) What is the last version of pre NT maps I can use on the device? Is it 2009?

That is correct, 2009 is the latest and last version.

2) Can I also buy European maps for the device?

Yes, Europe mapping may be used with the device.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=6397#mapTab

3) Are there ways to use NT maps?

No, you will not be able to use NT mapping with this device.

4) What is the largest flash memory card I can put on the device? 2GB? More?

The largest card we offer is 256MB.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=164&pID=6397#accessoryTab

They are obviously playing games (since there are 2GB cards working, etc). Therefore I do not trust their answers much. In any case, they are not selling any 2010 maps for the device...

Well I installed and unlocked CN2010 NT in Mapsource (and can see full detail), and I can create an .IMG file on a CF card, but unfortunately the 2610 will not recognize the maps (all I see is the base map.) So unhappily it seems to be as I suspected... the 2610 apparently cannot decode the NT maps.

Oh well, it was worth a shot...

Archived