IGNORED

Which mount for Garmin x76 series?

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

My Garmin 376c bounces out of the OEM cradle every now and then, which causes some excitement at speed. It's mounted via RAM ball to a Migsel shelf thing. Touratech has three different mounts for the series, and I assume there are other mounts out there. Given the Migsel/RAM mounting, which mount would you recommend? (I'd like to find a used one)

TIA

markgoodrich

Hmm, I think perhaps I used a poor choice of word: I need a replacement for the cradle, not the little mount the cradle can fit into, which does have a lock on it. The unit simply snaps into the cradle.

Here's a fuzzy photo of mine, mounted (and no, it's not the XM antenna that is the culprit, it pops out when the antenna is not in use):

IMG_1436.jpg

Mark,

What I see in the picture is the RAM Garmin Mount 176. The actual Garmin OEM mount has a locking tab on it but is a bigger and bulkier. We found a great source for RAM mounts in Ardmore, OK. They have everything in stock ship the same day, they are close and have no tax. GPS Zone 800 354-6193. I've had the same mount for over 3 years, and it's still going strong.

markgoodrich
Mark,

What I see in the picture is the RAM Garmin Mount 176. The actual Garmin OEM mount has a locking tab on it but is a bigger and bulkier. We found a great source for RAM mounts in Ardmore, OK. They have everything in stock ship the same day, they are close and have no tax. GPS Zone 800 354-6193. I've had the same mount for over 3 years, and it's still going strong.

Hmm, you're absolutely right, Edgar :dopeslap: . I had totally forgotten that it's a RAM cradle. I did root around in my Big Box O'Stuff I Might Need Some Day, and found what appears to be a lockable Garmin cradle, but it's different from the Auto cradle on the Garmin web site. I don't see a way to mount a RAM diamond base to it without drilling it out and finding my tubes of JB Weld. I'll continue to root around; I'm missing some pieces that come in the Automotive mount kit; if I can remember where I hid them, perhaps all will become clear.

I did root around in my Big Box O'Stuff I Might Need Some Day, and found what appears to be a lockable Garmin cradle, but it's different from the Auto cradle on the Garmin web site. I don't see a way to mount a RAM diamond base to it without drilling it out and finding my tubes of JB Weld.

Mark-you need to mount the round base to the back of the craddle. I have an extra round base I'll bring along with me tomorrow.

markgoodrich
I did root around in my Big Box O'Stuff I Might Need Some Day, and found what appears to be a lockable Garmin cradle, but it's different from the Auto cradle on the Garmin web site. I don't see a way to mount a RAM diamond base to it without drilling it out and finding my tubes of JB Weld.

Mark-you need to mount the round base to the back of the craddle. I have an extra round base I'll bring along with me tomorrow.

Thanks, Greg, I figured all this out last night when I found the rest of my Garmin stuff. I actually ended up finding two Garmin cradles, one the bulky auto one, and another, more svelte one.

Thanks to all for the replies.

Archived