IGNORED

Polish and/or wax

pokorskij

When I was younger, quite a while ago, polish and wax served two purposes. Now it seems the two are used interchangeable. I have not been able to find a wax in the newer Ice line, all they seem to have is polish.

Polish was used to clean and shine, while wax was applied after for protection. I know technology has changed over the years, both in the finishes and the products, but do the old terms and functions still apply?

If I use a wax, some good quality canuba wax, and later after the bike is dirty, use something like the old formula of Honda polish, am I really removing the wax with the polish? Would the wax last longer by just washing, with water and mild soap, than with the polish?

Thank you to anyone who easily clears this up for me.

Prior to the introduction of two stage paint, polish and wax was the norm. Polish to revitalise color then wax to seal the surface.

Now the color is underneath a layer of clearcoat which is the 'shine'.

The color is actually flat paint and has no shine at all!

So most of the wax or polish in stores now a days is for clearcoat applications, of course read the bottle or can first then pick your poison!

Your comments make it sound like the new clear coat might actually be stronger than the old paints, and that the polish buffs today's clear coat and the clear coat doesn't need the added protection of the wax. At least that is what I make of it.

Thanks.

It is slightly stronger and more durable as well as flexible.

Wax can still be used to seal micro scratches and help water bead off as it always has done.

Again, lots of different companies competing for your dollar so pick and choose as you please. :thumbsup:

When I was younger, quite a while ago, polish and wax served two purposes. Now it seems the two are used interchangeable. I have not been able to find a wax in the newer Ice line, all they seem to have is polish.

Polish was used to clean and shine, while wax was applied after for protection. I know technology has changed over the years, both in the finishes and the products, but do the old terms and functions still apply?

If I use a wax, some good quality canuba wax, and later after the bike is dirty, use something like the old formula of Honda polish, am I really removing the wax with the polish? Would the wax last longer by just washing, with water and mild soap, than with the polish?

Thank you to anyone who easily clears this up for me.

Have to agree that today terms seem interchangable. For what its worth I use "old" formula Honda Spray Polish (aka Original Bike Spirits Spray Polish) all the time. After each day on the road and when I get home to detail the bike. Once or twice a year I apply a good coat of S-100 pure Carnuba Wax. Bike always looks like it rolled off the showroom floor.

Archived