IGNORED

Backrest Help Needed

Rphoto

My wife has back and hip problems and the only bike she could ride passenger was our old R1100RT. The combination of stock seat and standard top case (without pad) were comfortable for her.

Since geting our K1300GT with 49L top case, she has been very uncomfortable. The case is poorly designed for backrest purposes. It has a backrest pad, but this juts out nearly an inch from the case hitting at shoulder level and pushing her slightly forward of vertical. There is no lumbar support from the case. We have tried skinnying the foam in the pad and even removing the backrest entirely, which helps, but still lacks lumbar support (and is ugly).

We have considered getting a Bakup or maybe even the 28L case, which appears to be sloped at a similar angle to the old R1100RT case. Of course, these are both expensive solutions.

Anyone have thoughts regarding this.

Rob M.

Poster: Rob McClure

Subject: Re: Backrest Help Needed

My wife has back and hip problems and the only bike she could ride passenger was our old R1100RT. The combination of stock seat and standard top case (without pad) were comfortable for her.

Since geting our K1300GT with 49L top case, she has been very uncomfortable. The case is poorly designed for backrest purposes. It has a backrest pad, but this juts out nearly an inch from the case hitting at shoulder level and pushing her slightly forward of vertical. There is no lumbar support from the case. We have tried skinnying the foam in the pad and even removing the backrest entirely, which helps, but still lacks lumbar support (and is ugly).

We have considered getting a Bakup or maybe even the 28L case, which appears to be sloped at a similar angle to the old R1100RT case. Of course, these are both expensive solutions.

Anyone have thoughts regarding this.

Rob M.

When I was searching for a custom seat for my RT I remember seeing one of the custom seat makers advertising custom backrests for the 49L box. If I find it I will send you the link.

My GF had a different set of comfort issues on my 1100rt .. I had a custom backrest made that just bolted on the same place the stock on did ... $50 at the local upholstery shop ...

...hitting at shoulder level...

Wow. How tall is she? My wife is 5' 3" and our 49L hits her just above the waist at the bottom of the backrest to right around the middle of her back at the top. We've had it with both the stock seat and with our current Bill Mayer seat which is a little taller but she was equally as comfortable with both.

Archived