IGNORED

Mapsource Problem

markgoodrich

markgoodrich

I've got version 6.13.7 on my computer. I just opened it to plot some routes in Alberta, and am unable to use the Find function for anything but a city or major attraction like an airport. I can't enter an address, for instance. Only the "City" tab is available when I click "Find." I also have version 6.14.1 on the same computer, and get the same error. Any suggestions?

I use City Navigator North America V.8

Heck, with 6.13.7 I can't even open the Help files.

Thanks in advance.

markgoodrich

Hmmmmmmm. Drug out my ancient other laptop, which I carry on the bike when I travel, and 6.13.7 works fine. But since we're flying I want to take my better computer; works better with PShop image work. Plus, the old computer is held together with JB Weld, and I'm going to have to use some more!

Try a complete removal of the application, then reinstall.

I'm assuming that you're using some flavor of Windows... If so, which one?

Sometimes, the Windows user profile can get messed-up enough to cause applications to behave strangely so resetting it might be an option.

Edit: Sometimes, uninstalling programs can leave behind traces that end up being the cause of the original problem, which then re-manifest themselves when you reinstall the app. If this happens, try Revo Uninstaller (freeware, http://www.revouninstaller.com/) to remove all traces of the program before reinstalling.

der Wanderer

Prior to either of those:

1) Try upgrading to 6.15.6 from the Garmin site. Should be painless and remove the issues.

2) If the above fails go to Control panel, Programs: select the Mapsource app and try the repair option (may not be available on every version). You likely will need your disks handy.

markgoodrich

I did upgrade, early this year, to the 6.14.1 version, which caused hassles with planning routes, etc, and thus I downloaded the earlier version again. I'm reluctant to do the upgrade to the current version unless others are using it without problems.

Regarding the reinstall suggestion, I thought of that, but because both versions of Mapsource are haywire, I wondered if perhaps that wouldn't make a difference.

+1 on updating Mapsource to the latest 6.15.6. But you shouldn't need to remove the old version.

Either ....

in Mapsource hit Help /Check for Software Updates or .....

click here.....

MAPSOURCE LINK

But ... it sounds like your City Navigator is not unlocked on the newer laptop.

Run Mapsource and hit Utilities-Manage Map Products and Map Regions - it should indicate CNNAV8 is unlocked for the GPS that you are using.

You'll need the unlock code if it's not listed. Then run UnlockWizard in your Garmin directory.

markgoodrich

Curiouser and curiouser: in fact the maps needed unlocking! I'd forgotten that Garmin had sent me a replacement 376c earlier this year when mine broke.

However, unlocking made no difference, the detailed maps don't appear; only "find" option is "City," just as before.

I'll try downloading the newest version.

markgoodrich
Curiouser and curiouser: in fact the maps needed unlocking! I'd forgotten that Garmin had sent me a replacement 376c earlier this year when mine broke.

However, unlocking made no difference, the detailed maps don't appear; only "find" option is "City," just as before.

I'll try downloading the newest version.

Didn't work. Have unlocked it, but nothing but base shows up, still just "city;" unlocked "region," too, but never can get a confirmation that it worked.

Garmin support wait time: 35 minutes.

markgoodrich

Did the uninstall/repair of Mapsource/City Navigator. Now have most current Mapsource version. I can now "find" everything; remains to be seen if I can make/modify routes easily.

Thanks for the various suggestions.

der Wanderer

In S&T 2009, it takes one intermediary step, because there is no export to .gpx, so you need an intermediary (free) program to do the conversion. This is a feature that is very high on the wish list for 2010, to come out in a few weeks. I am very optimistic ;)

In any case, you would recalculate the route in Mapsource, because the exact maps might be slightly different. But all the preliminary work of planning would have been done on S&T, with all the advanced features that Mapsource does not have.

I've got version 6.13.7 on my computer. I just opened it to plot some routes in Alberta, and am unable to use the Find function for anything but a city or major attraction like an airport. I can't enter an address, for instance. Only the "City" tab is available when I click "Find." I also have version 6.14.1 on the same computer, and get the same error. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Mark, it sounds like you don’t have the correct mapping.. Sounds like you are just on the main large map & not city navigator.. In the upper left there is a longer box with a drop down arrow that should say the version of city navigator you are currently using.. Click the drop down arrow & select the correct map.. If it says “No Map” you can’t use most of the find function.. If a map is selected that you no longer have on your computer you can’t use most of the find functions..

Twisty

markgoodrich

Thanks in advance.

Mark, it sounds like you don’t have the correct mapping.. Sounds like you are just on the main large map & not city navigator.. In the upper left there is a longer box with a drop down arrow that should say the version of city navigator you are currently using.. Click the drop down arrow & select the correct map.. If it says “No Map” you can’t use most of the find function.. If a map is selected that you no longer have on your computer you can’t use most of the find functions..

Twisty

Correct, I finally stripped everything off the "good" computer and reinstalled City Nav and Mapsource; am back in business, albeit with the latest update, rather than the old favorite 6.13. This will get me through the trip to Alberta, since there are no squiggly roads to speak of, and besides, we'll be in a dinky little rent car. I'll play with the new version of Mapsource while we're up there, see if it's a bummer to use to plan routes.

der Wanderer

long list...

Update to road construction zones, drag and drop of routes, easy, seamless pan/select (mapsource kills me on that), scheduling of routes with lots of options for stops, duration, etc. Listing of POI in vicinity, computation of areas with given driving distances of a given start, connection with maps.bing.com, sending waypoints to mobile, and so many other things.

Full featured with USB GPS receptor for less than $100, and without for $35. Hard to beat.

If curious, go here: http://www.laptopgpsworld.com/microsoft-streets-trips/

and also get a 2 months free trial.

Thanks in advance.

Twisty

Correct, I finally stripped everything off the "good" computer and reinstalled City Nav and Mapsource; am back in business, albeit with the latest update, rather than the old favorite 6.13. This will get me through the trip to Alberta, since there are no squiggly roads to speak of, and besides, we'll be in a dinky little rent car. I'll play with the new version of Mapsource while we're up there, see if it's a bummer to use to plan routes.

Mark--or anyone--does v15 work better than 14? I tried 14 but it ran so slowly I went back to 13. I am using WinXP, not Vista. Somebody advise re. v15 pls--thanks!

Archived