IGNORED

iPod plugged into radio, no volume

Username

The radio on my R1200RT does have an aux jack and Aux setting in the controls. When I plug my iPod in, I can get volume, but not nearly as loud as the radio alone. Hence, I can't hear the iPod when riding at anything above city speeds. Anyone experience this....solve it?

Also is there any 'aux in' level setting on the bike radio? I don't know about the RT's system but most automotive heads have some provision for setting the input level for the aux source.

The iPod volume is up all the way. I didn't notice an aux in setting when I was going over the radio's manual, but will look again.

Trying to figure out if it is the iPod or the BMW radio that I need to address!

Trying to figure out if it is the iPod or the BMW radio that I need to address!

An iPod cranked wide open should provide more than enough output for a line-level input into any amplifier. If the volume is still low I'd be looking at the bike system.

Surely others have run into this before so hopefully someone with direct experience can help...

der Wanderer

First thing to do is test the system part by part... there are 3 parts to suspect.

The iPod: does it provide the right level with your earphones?

The cable: may not be the right cable, or may not be pushed in correctly. After you have excluded the iPod, try connecting the iPod with the same cable to another audio system through an Aux port. If you have another cable, swap them.

The radio: try connecting another device than your iPod.

Should yield something. If not, there are amps out there you can use to add a few dB.

Of course I use a zune :P

Paul In Australia
The radio on my R1200RT does have an aux jack and Aux setting in the controls. When I plug my iPod in, I can get volume, but not nearly as loud as the radio alone. Hence, I can't hear the iPod when riding at anything above city speeds. Anyone experience this....solve it?

I have the same radio and MP3 lead as you have. Standard on the 2008 models and later. I have an Ipod nano and set at half volume, the ipod booms out of the radio set up speakers. No problems.

Check the "loud setting" and the adjustment setting for speed related volume on the radio itself.

best regards

OK, if you are not having the same issues, then I shouldn't either. I need to do some more checking, to be sure that the iPod loudness is on, volume is up and loudness is on for the BMW radio.

Yes, there is an "aux in" power setting. I have mine on "6" which is the highest setting. Can't remember how to get into that mode (my bike's parked a ways from me right now.....), but I know it's in your owners manual.

I'll check tonight, and if you haven't found it I'll add another reply tomorrow. Good luck!!

Ahah! I found the Aux in power setting. When you select Aux In, moving the handlebar control to the side increases the Aux power setting. I think the issue is solved. I will try tomorrow on the road.

Thanks all

Archived