IGNORED

insurance

taters

i was paying $672 per year for cycle insurance on a 1150rt 04. insured by allstate. i just got my renewal and it was over a $1000. i called and asked why. they said they did not know but would get back to me....so i called around.. geico offered me the same coverage for $420...also for $7 a year they offer roadside assistance which includes towing up to 75 miles....kinda a no brainer... just thought i would pass it on....

markgoodrich
Check Dairyland... they beat Allstate and Progressive by about 1/3 the others...

+1 on Dairyland, not just good prices, but great service. Two claims in four years, both made me very happy, no effect on my premium. I have $100 deductible collision/comp.

I just got my bill from Dairyland today - $918 for an 08 R1200R with full coverage and a big deductible. I think that's too high. Anybody have alternatives they recommend?

It goes without saying that comparing rates without mentioning where you live is a moot discussion. Here in New Jersey, where we have about half the companies the rest of you out there get to pick from, I bet I pay more to insure my RT than some of you pay for your bikes, your cars, your house, and your life - combined! Ahhh, how I love this state...

-MKL

I agree with Moshe. Down here in Daytona Beach, uninsured motorist is 60% of our bill where other parts of the country it's 10%

MCN covered this in depth.

There are great differences between types of motorcycle and where you live w/regard to insurance prices.

markgoodrich
I just got my bill from Dairyland today - $918 for an 08 R1200R with full coverage and a big deductible. I think that's too high. Anybody have alternatives they recommend?

That's more than twice my premium, same company, with $100 deductible comp/coll, no UM coverage (I have health insurance). I live in Austin, Texas.

markgoodrich
I agree with Moshe. Down here in Daytona Beach, uninsured motorist is 60% of our bill where other parts of the country it's 10%

Interesting. Why do you have UM coverage? Is it UM-property, or UM-bodily injury? If the former, isn't that what your collision coverage is for? The UMPD only coverss the deductible. If it's bodily injury UM coverage, it only covers your health insurance deductible up to certain limits. I dropped both coverages years ago.

Linky If you do a search on uninsured motorist , look at page 4 and my name as poster. For the life of me, I can't copy and paste it. Sorry. I dropped my UM but others on the post I'm trying to direct you to advised against it. I have my own health insurance.

edit: inserted link - you copy the URL then on the reply form, click the globe&chain icon. Paste the URL into the box, enter, then type the text you wat to see. Andy

Before you sign on with Progressive I suggest you read Fugu's report in Ride Well... about his crash and aftermath with Progressive.

I am with Dairyland because of the attempting screwing I received from them... and I had been a customer for a loooong time.

FYI.

Interesting. Why do you have UM coverage? Is it UM-property, or UM-bodily injury? If the former, isn't that what your collision coverage is for? The UMPD only coverss the deductible. If it's bodily injury UM coverage, it only covers your health insurance deductible up to certain limits. I dropped both coverages years ago.

This may be true in Texas but not all states. PLEASE people, visit with a professional in YOUR state to make these decisions.

I went online and got a policy from Progressive at $351 for basic coverage. That saved a bunch compared to the $918 that Dairyland wanted. I'm in Arkansas, which I would expect to be a place with lower rates than more populated regions.

I signed up with Foremost Ins. and they are 1/2 the price of State Farm, including $1500 coverage for safety gear(helmets and suits) and $3500 of accessories. Extra discount if you are a member of AARP.

Harry_Wilshusen
It goes without saying that comparing rates without mentioning where you live is a moot discussion. Here in New Jersey, where we have about half the companies the rest of you out there get to pick from, I bet I pay more to insure my RT than some of you pay for your bikes, your cars, your house, and your life - combined! Ahhh, how I love this state...

-MKL

Considering you live in a state where the drivers aren't competent enough to pump their own gas. It's no surprise your insurance rates are higher. :)

Harry

Archived