IGNORED

Wiring the Garmin 2820 on the RT

Albert

I'm planning to steal some of Mitch's ideas for accessorizing my RT :wave: (see http://bmwsporttouring.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=506051&page=1), specifically putting my Autocom under the tail section and running the wires under the tupperware (I've been using the tank bag approach).

I plan to place my phone and iPod in the glove box as Mitch did so there's no issue there. One thing that's bugging though me is a clean way to run the audio connection wire up to the GPS which I've mounted at the top center of the dash. I typically remove my GPS for commuting and other local riding so I want something that will allow me to cleanly leave the 1/8 stereo lead in the dash area.

Currently, for power I have the Garmin power cord terminating in an SAE plug that mates to one under the dash. When not in use I tuck the power wire under the dash and hold it in place with a simple twist tie from a bread loaf (I do have a weather cap on the SAE plug when not in use). I'd like to do something similar (or even better) with the audio cable. Anyone have any creative solutions they've used?

Thanks,

I'm guessing you're not using the Garmin mount for the 2820. If you are, there's a receptacle in the mount itself that holds the power cable when not in use. Or do you remove the entire mount when you're not using the GPS?

Yea Bill, I remove the mount and everything when I'm not using it. I was thinking of putting a "dummy" receptacle in the dash someplace and just plugging the free audio cable in there when I'm not using it. I just really want something to keep the plug out of the weather.

Well, then, sure, any old mating panel-mount plug will do. Radio Shack could take care of you. Though I'm not sure how weather-proof it'll be.

Me, I'd just tie it up out of the way. But I rarely ride in rain.

Archived