IGNORED

I need a Bike-to-Bike Radio Expert- for Newbie questions

hopz

OK... I am considering adding bike to bike for my Autocom system. The Autocom instructions suggest I use the Aux 5 connector... great! but how do I know if a radio I am looking at has a receptacle that fits their cable? I have looked many radio products on-line and I cannot spot the information I am seeking.

Next is the PTT switch for the handlebar. Same question as above- how to read the specs and figure that out?

I assume there is a cable from the radio with a split to the PTT switch and then on to Aux 5 on the Autocom.

Somewhat related question... GMRS, do you guys buy the license or is that sort of, really, in actuality un-needed?

Firefight911

Bob,

For what you are doing, you will need the PTT interface lead. This connects directly in to your Autocom. From there, you need the appropriate cable that plugs in to the PTT interface cable and in to the radio you have chosen.

I would recommend the Kenwood Freetalk series of radio.

You can see what I did for my Autocom set up here - LINKY

As for the license, up to you. I did not.

For my Autocom Kit 200 Active Plus, I used the PTT cable #1457 and the interface cable #1430.

Hope this helps.

Hi Phil... yes it helps, some, but the main question concerns plugging into the radio. Do all radios have a receptacle that you can plug the correct cables into, then the PTT switch and all else works?

Firefight911

Yes, the Autocom cable handles all the interface connections so that the Autocom PTT takes over, etc.

As for what radios do and don't have this capability, you would have to check with the specific model information. I am knowledgeable that the Kenwood, Icom, and Motorola models I have come across have this capability. I also am aware that I was unable to get my old Uniden radios to work on Autocom, however, they worked fine on my Baehr, albeit, barely! I attribute this mostly to the Uniden radios not being exactly high quality kit.

Most radios have two plugs. One for ear piece/remote speaker and the other for remote PTT control.

Just find yourself a Kenwood TK3131 and be done with it. Finest small FRS/GMRS radio made. It does use a proprietary plug, which Autocom has. Motorola/Cobra/etc. mostly use an industry-standard plug.

If you want to use the radio via the Autcom's VOX system, just get the adapter cable for the Kenwood and you're good to go. If you want to use the PTT system, then the PTT plugs into the cable coming out of the Autocom, and the Kenwood adapter cable plugs into the PTT cable. I ride solo and use the VOX setup. If you ride with a passenger, then I suggest the PTT because if not then your conversations between rider and passenger will be broadcast.

My two riding buddies and I all use the Kenwood TK3101. If we had it to do over again we'd all try one of the Motorola GMRS radios at 1/2 to 1/3rd the price.

The Kenwood is 'Mil Spec' but we're not dunking ours in water (more like pampered on foam in tank bags) so that doesn't matter as much as the low-capacity OEM NiCd battery (we each solved this different ways), channel selector switch that rotates too easily, odd self-squelch behavior (if volume knob is set over 50%), and extremely high price.

The TK3131 (not the mil-spec unit. AKA Freetalk XLS) works great for me. Runs all day on a charge. And you really can hear the difference in radios. Generally, I've found folks using Kenwood radios and Autocom comm units are easily heard and understood. Other brands, not so much.

I can't answer a lot of those questions, but I a while back I just bought an autocom cord labelled "Motorola single pin", and then I got a pair of the better Motorola blister pack GMRS radios at Cabela's. I didn't put that much thought into it, and everything plugged together nicely. Shoot, it works great, too!

My two cents - for trips longer than a weekend, make sure you can power the gmrs radio from the bike. Cabela's sells a 12V car power cord for the motorolas. I had to special order it.

And buy the best gmrs you can afford. Even the better motorola's in the blister packs are made in china. I think mine says "made by xyz company, for Motorola" They're okay, but the quality isn't top drawer.

Make sure it's a gmrs, rather than FRS only. Buy the one with the highest transmit power. Keep in mind that the "16 mile", "22 mile range" is bogus advertising doubletalk. None of them are good for more than about a mile or so. Note that certain FRS channels are automatically power restricted.

Obviously, the best idea is those Kenwood units that autocom peddles (but they're, what, 4x the money?).

Skip the gmrs license. Last I heard, the FCC was gonna delete that license requirement. And I've never used the ppt buttons - the autocom vox mechanism does all that.

TechDirector

Howdy,

In the world of two-way radios there are a huge number of connectors, many of which look the same but have different "pin outs", meaning that they are wired a little differently. As a reference check out the following:

http://www.headsetusa.com/downloads/charts/Connector_table.pdf

Autocom does a good job of supporting several models - mainly the Kenwood (K1 on chart) and Motorola FRS/GMRS unit (M6 on chart). From my experience:

- If you are going to be riding in close proximity to someone just grab a simple Motorola or Kenwood FRS radio that Autocom supports

- Don't even try to use VOX. Buy the Autocom PTT switch and harness that goes into the grey extension cable off the unit.

- Run the radio of battery power.

For Kenwood, note that other radios use a similar connector but they are not compatible! In my experience If you buy a Kenwood with this type of connector it will work with the Autocom cable.

The Motorola radios they support uses a single pin and the radios and connector will be referenced as such.

I have some pics of my setup if needed.

Archived