IGNORED

Tire pressure monitor

New2Wheeler

Do any of you use the BMW tire pressure monitor system or other model? I check my tire pressure each day before I leave the house, and having an instant check would avoid the check time. And I have to admit, I don't check at the end of the day when leaving work. Do these monitors show tire pressure or only alarm/signal when below some minimum? Appreciate your input or recommendations.

The factory BMW TPM shows actual tire pressure in realtime. Very handy, you can actually watch the pressure rise and fall while underway. Unfortunately, it cannot be installed onto a current bike.

It will flash a yellow or red triangle warning on the RID depending how much pressure is lost.

Highly recommended option.

I've got the BMW TPM, it works great. Even though I have it, I still check with a gauge every time I leave the house. I miss it when riding my other bikes. There are aftermarket options, I'm not familiar with those.

I use the TireGard TPMS and recommend it. After picking up a nail twice in the past year I wanted something to let me know I was losing air rather than finding out all the air was gone first thing in the morning, especially on the road. It works.

The factory BMW TPM shows actual tire pressure in realtime. Very handy, you can actually watch the pressure rise and fall while underway.

Hmmm... you shouldn't be able to. The BMW (and most other) TPM systems are temperature-compensated so that the reading stays constant hot or cold. My BMW TPM system readings stay the same (or at least with 1 psi) cold to hot.

Even though I have it, I still check with a gauge every time I leave the house.

Wondering why? I don't think you have to worry about failure too much as the odds of a sensor failing but somehow displaying a reasonable reading while doing so is pretty remote (and the BMW system will show an alert if a sensor is suspect or even has a low battery.) One major advantage of a TPM system is not having to mess with constant manual tire pressure checks.

To the OP, the Doran and TireGard aftermarket systems look pretty good and will display both current tire pressure and an alert if pressure changes rapidly. After experiencing how convenient a TPM systems is on my GT I'm considering retrofitting one to my 1100RT.

To the OP, the Doran and TireGard aftermarket systems look pretty good and will display both current tire pressure and an alert if pressure changes rapidly. After experiencing how convenient a TPM systems is on my GT I'm considering retrofitting one to my 1100RT.

(Some) initial impressions of the TireGard system seen here are less then positive; seems lifespan is suspect.

I believe it was SmarTire that manufactured a TPMS for motorcycles that got solid reviews but they have since stopped production of them, why I don't know. I thought Vulcan bought out all remaining units & spare parts in order to continue both marketing & support but have since been told they in turn sold all to an outfit in England. Don't know a lot about the Doran unit.

All by way of saying I too would like to retrofit an on-the-go TPMS to my bike.

(Some) initial impressions of the TireGard system seen here are less then positive; seems lifespan is suspect.

Hmmm, good find there. Maybe want to choose another vendor until they get the bugs worked out.

Most of the TPM systems use battery-powered sensors that turn on and off based on centrifugal force. They are advertised as having a 3-5 year life but usually don't have replaceable batteries (I guess the g-forces and operating environment is such that anything less than a potted-in battery might be unreliable) which ends up meaning that you have to replace the sensors every couple of years. Not a big deal if you change your own tires, maybe a little more complicated if you have a shop do it. The Doran replacement sensors are only about $50 but the BMW are $125 (each!) Even that might be OK if they live a reasonably long life, but I've had to have both replaced in my 2007 GT after less than 2 years of service. Warranty paid the bill this time, let's hope that the replacements do a good bit better. It's nice to have a fully factory-integrated system though.

Kisan makes a TPM system that uses passive sensors so no battery issues, but installation is more complex due to the need to mount pickups down at the wheels.

I assume from your signature that you are riding an R1200RT. If this is the case, you should be aware of the fact that the Doran system won’t work on your bike. According to Doran, the wireless sensor will contact the brake caliper if it is mounted externally and due to the design of the wheel, it is not possible to mount it internally.

Paul In Australia
The factory BMW TPM shows actual tire pressure in realtime. Very handy, you can actually watch the pressure rise and fall while underway.

Hmmm... you shouldn't be able to. The BMW (and most other) TPM systems are temperature-compensated so that the reading stays constant hot or cold. My BMW TPM system readings stay the same (or at least with 1 psi) cold to hot.

Not sure that is correct. Mine shows a variance during a few miles of tyre warm up.The pressure is higher after the tyre warms up. I think what you are referring to is the pressure that is shown on the gauge is adjusted to the preset ( by BMW) rated ambient presure of 20 deg C. That means the pressure registering is if the ambient pressure is 20Deg c. The actual pressure could be more or less depending on ambient pressure. What it means is the recommended pressures by manufactureers etc is set at aambient 20 deg C.

The temp will vary depending on pressure build up in the tyre due to heating up.

The TPM system on the BMW is fantastic. Virtually no care( Except when changing tyres) and it lets you two things

1. Current presures ( in relation to ambient 20C )

2. If you are having a leak of major proportions. Got to be a great safety aid.

Throughly recommend the BMW TPM .

best regards

PCH

der Wanderer

In the current state of technology (and from someone who worked on sports tire at Michelin in the past) no TPM is going in my tires. In my opinion, this is a system whose potential to go bad outweighs the potential benefits when one does the normal basic manual tire monitoring and maintenance.

Paul In Australia

Don't knock it until you have tried it. Can't do that on a 1150 Rt.

The BMW TPM works fine as has been very reliable so far.

regards

PCH

My OEM display consistently increases about 1-2psi going from cold to hot.

Even though I have it, I still check with a gauge every time I leave the house.

Wondering why? I don't think you have to worry about failure too much as the odds of a sensor failing but somehow displaying a reasonable reading while doing so is pretty remote (and the BMW system will show an alert if a sensor is suspect or even has a low battery.) One major advantage of a TPM system is not having to mess with constant manual tire pressure checks.

I'm paranoid. But there is a practical side as well. I don't want to get all my gear on, load up, get 1/4 mile down the road, and then learn that I'm a few psi low. I check it, and add air if necessary, while the bike is still in the garage. That way when I leave I'm good to go.

My OEM display consistently increases about 1-2psi going from cold to hot.

The compensation may not track precisely so you might see a psi or two change every once in a while (as do I), but I really do believe that the system is supposed to be normalized against pressure increase due to temperature. If not I expect that you would see a much larger difference than only 1-2 psi.

I'm paranoid. But there is a practical side as well. I don't want to get all my gear on, load up, get 1/4 mile down the road, and then learn that I'm a few psi low. I check it, and add air if necessary, while the bike is still in the garage. That way when I leave I'm good to go.

Yeah, I could see that, depending on how often the bike is ridden. I ride every day so I know what the pressure is from the prior day and can be pretty sure that there's no need to manually check it again in the morning (other than a glance at the TPM display), but if I rode the bike less frequently so that there could have been a significant loss from the time of the last ride then yes, I'd check it in advance too.

In my opinion, this is a system whose potential to go bad outweighs the potential benefits when one does the normal basic manual tire monitoring and maintenance.

Normal basic manual tire monitoring and maintenance will not tell you that you just punctured a tire at 80 mph and have about 60 seconds of air left... :Wink:

Yeah, I could see that, depending on how often the bike is ridden. I ride every day so I know what the pressure is from the prior day and can be pretty sure that there's no need to manually check it again in the morning (other than a glance at the TPM display), but if I rode the bike less frequently so that there could have been a significant loss from the time of the last ride then yes, I'd check it in advance too.

My concern is more a tire defect of some kind, or a tire injury of some kind, that results in an unexpected loss of pressure since the last ride, even if it was yesterday.

My concern is more a tire defect of some kind, or a tire injury of some kind, that results in an unexpected loss of pressure since the last ride, even if it was yesterday.

But the odds of that are so small I can't imagine that it would be worth the trouble of checking for it each and every day. And even if it does occur there's no safety issue (with a TPM system) because even in the rare instance it would be caught immediately by the TPM. So essentially you're manually checking every day to avoid the tiny chance that someday you might have to return to the garage if the TPM reveals some kind of problem. Doesn't seem like an efficient way of doing things to me. Not meant to be a criticism, just the way I would look at it.

I have the BMW TPM system and am very pleased with it. It has saved me 3 times from having to have to make a roadside repair. The first time when I was warned and the pressure started dropping I was able to make it a mile back to a repair place that plugged it. The second time I was about 20 miles from home and was able to turn around and make it home. This last time I was able to ride around looking for a place that would plug it and ended up doing it myself after the pressure had dropped to 32 pounds. I don't think I ever want another bike without one. On the other hand my bike is a little over 2 years old and the rear sensor isn't working so the battery must be gone. I had a tire put on today at a Harley shop and thought maybe they could replace the battery and as someone said you can't do that so next time I am at the BMW dealer will have them do it or buy a sensor for next tire replacement. I do have 57,000 miles on it.

der Wanderer

One additional point

I carry foam sealant with me as a way to get home when hit with a non catastrophic puncture. The stuff works well enough to temporarily seal and reinflate, but will make a mess of the inside of the assembly. No fun to clean up but better than the alternative...

The problem is that it cannot be used with a TPM - would likely damage it permanently.

In the current state of technology (and from someone who worked on sports tire at Michelin in the past) no TPM is going in my tires. In my opinion, this is a system whose potential to go bad outweighs the potential benefits when one does the normal basic manual tire monitoring and maintenance.

I'm considering installing a Doran unit on my R1100RT and I'm curious why you feel this way. What do you see as the potential problem with these devices.

der Wanderer

I wrote on this above I think, and in another associated thread.

I am not commenting specifically about any TPM, mine are general observations.

I am concerned with anything that adds a risk of failure to the mounted ensemble. There are 2 big types of TPM, in wheel and on valve. In wheel might break loose and interfere with the tire, or lead to damage during mounting and unmounting. On valve takes an otherwise very proven solution (billions of valves out there) and moves the sealing to the TPM captor. I don't like that.

I am also concerned about behavior. It creates a false sense of security IMHO.

That's pretty much it, YMMV.

I wrote on this above I think, and in another associated thread.

I am not commenting specifically about any TPM, mine are general observations.

I am concerned with anything that adds a risk of failure to the mounted ensemble. There are 2 big types of TPM, in wheel and on valve. In wheel might break loose and interfere with the tire, or lead to damage during mounting and unmounting. On valve takes an otherwise very proven solution (billions of valves out there) and moves the sealing to the TPM captor. I don't like that.

I am also concerned about behavior. It creates a false sense of security IMHO.

That's pretty much it, YMMV.

Fair enough and I understand your concerns. I guess what I was really curious about was if in your experience with the tire company, you actually observed, or were aware of any specific problems with TPM’s.

I come from an engineering background and, at least according to my friends, tend to over analyze everything. I can imagine all sorts of potential problems with these systems but honestly, I’ve not been able to find a single piece of evidence to validate my concerns.

On the flip side, it’s probably the engineer in me that drives my desire to monitor every operating parameter!

Maybe I’m just over analyzing the situation. :)

der Wanderer

I am an engineer too. I know what you mean. But I have designed systems that my customers depended on for their safety. Tires go through an extraordinary range of conditions for many cycles. I have seen things go back and had to find out what it was... Therefore I am trained to evaluate the risk-benefit situation, and in this case I am not (in my own case) seeing a benefit that justifies the risk.

Yeah ... I have the engineer thing also. If I may ask, it sounds like the failure mechanisms are: 1) for the on-value would likely be either a slow or fast leak depending on the cause or 2) it sounded as if you where implying the in-wheel may cause a wheel failure (I suspect either imbalance or worse).

You have given me plenty to consider, but it also sounds like the options are narrowed for the 1200rt.

thanks for the input. By the way, have you seen the video clip titled "The Knack"?

Archived