IGNORED

Nuvi that will pair to an Autocom

EffBee

I'm a map guy, so I don't need all of the features of a Zumo, but I've been thinking about something inexpensive, like a lower-model Nuvi simply because it's a quick-glance screen as opposed to a map on my tankbag. And as long as I'm at it, I wouldn't mind the turn-by-turn voice direction which is available even on many lower-priced Nuvi's. But the Nuvi's don't have a voice-out port that I can connect to my Autocom, and I was wondering if there are aftermarket power cables that have the voice-out pigtail like the ones that were available for the early 2600 series.

Anyone done this and have some edumacation they can share?

I can't help you with your exact question... but I went with a nuvi 500. it's cheap(er), waterproof, scoot friendly and all that. You're right, it doesn't connect to the autocom. But after riding about 7500 miles with it (including one coast-to-coast trip), I can say that I never once felt like I needed the audio piped into my helmet. Something to think about, ymmv.

I can't help you with your exact question... but I went with a nuvi 500. it's cheap(er), waterproof, scoot friendly and all that. You're right, it doesn't connect to the autocom. But after riding about 7500 miles with it (including one coast-to-coast trip), I can say that I never once felt like I needed the audio piped into my helmet. Something to think about, ymmv.

Thanks. I thought about that, too, i.e. about just using it as a rolling visual map. And I may end up doing just that. But I do have the Autocom and an open filtered port, so I figure Why Not? If there's an aftermarket power cable that has the audio pigtail on it, this might be doable.

When I first got my Zumo I thought the voice prompts through the autocom were great. After a while, I stopped listening though.

With the display in an easy to see location I think the audio is overkill with two exceptions. One, if I'm in a really complicated intersection or set of intersections that I'm not familiar with, and there are a lot of turns one right after the other, it's nice to get the prompts. Two, if I'm enjoying the ride, sometimes its nice to get a verbal reminder of an upcoming turn. Neither of these are essential to me.

Make sure when you are considering your options you factor in the cost of all the cables, mounts, and such. I've seen a few folks go down the 'less expensive' route only to end up nearly spending what they would on a Tom Tom Rider or Zumo but for a less functional unit.

When I first got my Zumo I thought the voice prompts through the autocom were great. After a while, I stopped listening though.

With the display in an easy to see location I think the audio is overkill with two exceptions. One, if I'm in a really complicated intersection or set of intersections that I'm not familiar with, and there are a lot of turns one right after the other, it's nice to get the prompts. Two, if I'm enjoying the ride, sometimes its nice to get a verbal reminder of an upcoming turn. Neither of these are essential to me.

Make sure when you are considering your options you factor in the cost of all the cables, mounts, and such. I've seen a few folks go down the 'less expensive' route only to end up nearly spending what they would on a Tom Tom Rider or Zumo but for a less functional unit.

Thanks. Good points.

I used my Garmin 276C without voice prompts for a couple of years until I got an Autocom in 2007 (thanks Fernando). Since that time I've been listening to the polite British woman give me directions. I'd say if you can do it, it's well worth it. When I didn't have an Autocom I thought glancing at the GPS was no big deal. Once I had audio, I realized what a significant difference it makes, especially in built-up areas. Obviously if you're riding 500 miles straight on I-70 it doesn't make much of a difference. All that said, I don't know of any aftermarket cables that will do the trick on a Nuvi. The Garmin power/audio cable on my 276C has the audio out pigtail for my Autocom lead.

Archived