IGNORED

Garmin Zumo 660 or Garmin Zumo 550

gtunches

Gerald, that would really depend on what you want to do with it.. They both have their strong points & weaker points..

I have been using the 550 since it came out & for what I use it for the 660 offers me nothing over the 550 & I lose some of what I use now..

Go on over to Zumo forms http://www.zumoforums.com

Then research both (550/660) while comparing to what you would use or expect the unit to do..

Twisty

I'd say the 550. I use the GXM radio with custom ear plugs and I would lose this capability with the 660. You get more waypoints with the 660, but I've never run into a situation where I've a route and needed more waypoints than provided in the 550.

Saw the 660 at a rally this weekend. I personally would get the 660 because of the larger bright screen.

I owned a 550 and went to the 660. I found my 550 display easier to see, especially in bright sun. It's the only think I don't like about the 660.

Another big difference is in the mounts. I found the 550 easier to install, and would routinely leave it on the bike during stops during the day. The 660 mount has a simple push button to release it, so you have to take it with you when you leave the bike.

Trying to make the same decision myself (to upgrade from our Quest).

I’m wondering about the buttons on the 550 vs. touch screen only on the 660? Do 550 users find that they use the buttons a lot (especially with gloves) or just use its touch screen? I.e. – the lack of buttons on the 660 wouldn’t be an issue?

XM is not attractive to us, so lack of it on the 660 is not an issue.

Posted over on BMWMOA, but thought I would share... 660 all the way!

Hey all:

So i finally got my zumo 660 mounted a week or so ago and took some pictures to show the final solution I came up with.

For my normal day to day riding, I have it mounted with a special RAM ball stem mount custom made by Jim Winchester.

The mount is stable as all get out and easily wired in. I use the normal length ram connector with the locking hub to make sure no one steals my bracket (though what they would do with it without the actual GPS is beside me). This zumo doesnt need a screw, but instead has a quick action disconnect and a cover for the electrical connections when the GPS is gone.

I think this location is optimal for two reasons: The first is that it has 0 vibration... the screen is prefectly legible at all RPMS. Second its location brings it much closer to your view and reach. You can operate all the functions of the devise smoothly while driving one handed and you are not stretching or shifting your riding position whatsoever. This also places the device in a position where it blocks your view of nothing on the bike (save the key ring). I took the pictures from my eyes view, while sitting on the bike so you can see the POV... all you have to do is shift your eyes down, you dont even have to move your head.

I did have another dilemma in that I sometimes ride with the RT tank bag and thought this position would be too low... When the mount was installed, enough slack on the wires existed such that I could move it to either reservior RAM ball mount, left or right, depending on which hand i liked operating it with. It turns out, that with the 5" Ram arm, it will clear the tank bag just fine as well. The only other adjustment is that it needs to be tilted slightly back. I have included pictures of this for perspective. Now I can use the other RAM mounts for other toys, like my iPhone or cup holder :brow

As for the device itself, I cant rave enough about it. I threw a 16GB memory chip in it for music and audiobooks -- that maps are all on its own 4gb (I think) storage -- with its direct audio wiring for headphones it works perfectly, coordinating GPS and music. My phone is still blu-toothed, and I can pull over to talk, but I havent wired in my helmet mic yet (though their is a port for it). In fact my N103 with blu tooth and such is now a big waste of money as I dont use its speakers or mic anymore. I may try to figure out a solution for this or I may not.

The garmin software continues to be slick as hell... someone posted about not being able to find places correctly on this... I have seen the opposite -- google maps on my iphone is wrong while the gps is right.

Some have made comments that the route selection is not the best. I think that this is because the Garmin will give you the calculated fastest or the calculated shortest (or if you are off road in your GS the direct shot), but it wont figure out that mix of fastest and shortest that you speed to in order to make the best time. But you can put your custom route in the GPS if you want. Also, the GPS will remember (and leave up on the screen, in a complementary color, the way you just came (for about 25 miles or so) so if all else fails you can back track. Finally its trip loggin is fantastic, allowing you to go on a ride, and then download your stats and where you went.. pretty slick. Every day I find out some new feature to the software I didnt know was there.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Chris

Pics are:

1)normal low position, 2)showing mount ball, 3) high position, 4) high position side view

dsc00576f.th.jpgdsc00577t.th.jpgdsc00578b.th.jpgdsc00580c.th.jpg

I’m wondering about the buttons on the 550 vs. touch screen only on the 660? Do 550 users find that they use the buttons a lot (especially with gloves) or just use its touch screen? I.e. – the lack of buttons on the 660 wouldn’t be an issue?

I don't use the bottons on the 550 all that much; mostly for xm radio volume control (red lights, lower speeds etc.). Everything else you can pretty much do via touch screen.

When adjusting volume level on the 550 you press in one button & use the "+" or "-" buttons to made the change. A series of yellow bars are superimposed on ths screen so you can see the volume levels as changes are made.

Not sure how it works on the 660 but if sound control isn't an issue it seems touch screen is the primary control method of both units.

I also think using the buttons w/gloves is o.k. in the warmer weather months but a real pita wearing winter gloves.

Bought a 660 and i am really impressed with it,especially the lane assist facility which tells you which lane to stay in on most large motorways. The touch screen is user calibrated so you can change sensitivity for different types of gloves. The on / off button acts as a quick key to adjust volume and brightness. The only downsides are that there is no security screw to hold it in place. This means that you need to carry the weatherproof cap with you as you have to remove the unit from the cradle to stop the local yobs from stealing it, and this leaves the connections exposed. Recalculates really quickly if you decide to go off route as well and unlike my last unit seems to have no problem in cities with tall buildings causing loss of signal.

Ken, the buttons (or lack there of) are the deal breaker for me.. Here in Michigan we ride a lot using pretty heavy gloves & the touch screen is VERY difficult or almost impossible to use with winter gloves on..

BUT, (always a but) even the Zumo 550 has some touch screen functions that you need to use while riding & the buttons won’t get you there.. Even so I would really miss hard buttons (especially L/H buttons) if I traded my 550 for the 660..

The good news is; (I think) BMW is addressing that problem by offering a BMW version of the 660 with L/H buttons on the mounting cradle (looks to be somewhat the same functions as on the 550 frame).. If true that would be worth waiting for.. Probably a lot more money from BMW than from a N.Y. camera wholesaler though..

big_bmw_navigation_iv_2.jpg

Twisty

I to am thinking of moving from the Quest 2 to a Zumo 660. Can anyone chime in on how well the 660:

redraws,

recalculates and

receives satellite signal

compared to the Quest? I like the Quest very much but wish all three of the above were faster or better.

Also, I got the Quest 2 because it has all of the US, Canada & Puerto Rico pre-installed. When I went to upgrade to the latest maping software, there is not enough room for all the maps. I have to choose some portion of the country. Defeats the purpose. I assume the 660 has expansion room for future map updates so I CAN have the whole country?

Roy

Roy

The 660 redraws very quickly and recalculates within a couple of seconds . I have the whole of Europe on mine and you can also add more info( MP3 files and pictures) on to a micro sd card. It uses an NT version of mapsource but you can add routes and waypoints from older versions onto the 660. The larger screen was the main reason for my purchase.

Took my first trip with the 660 to the Unrally in NH. I am very happy with its performance. Some of the issues mentioned above:

1. It is the most sensitive GPS I have ever used. It picks up the satellite signal inside rooms. Riding through Manhattan, it never lost the signal (except inside the Holland Tunnel.) The big buildings always blocked the signal from my 2610 but the 660 worked just fine in mid-town Manhattan.

2. The touch screen works great. I never had trouble using the on-screen buttons with my gloves.

3. The easy removal of the unit from the bike should be considered a blessing. A determined thief would take just a few seconds to remove a 550 from a bike. So making it easy for the owner to remove his 660 and put it in his pocket (where it's so thin that it fits comfortably) is the best way to avoid theft.

4. The internal speaker and the bluetooth function work well.

5. The 5 hour battery life makes it easy to bring inside and program without plugging it in to an electric source.

When adjusting volume level on the 550 you press in one button & use the "+" or "-" buttons to made the change. A series of yellow bars are superimposed on ths screen so you can see the volume levels as changes are made.

Not sure how it works on the 660 but if sound control isn't an issue it seems touch screen is the primary control method of both units.

On the 660 you do a brief press of the power button on top of the unit while it is on and it brings up a screen that has large buttons to adjust the brightness and sound level. Once you are finished you press the OK button and go back to wherever you came from. Works great.

Archived