IGNORED

Rick Mayer or Russell Day Long???

Bigfish

I don't know which one to go with. Hear very good things about both. At least I have it down to two.

This will be a large expense and I want to make the right choice. :S

Anyone out there have experience with both brands?

Any feedback would be appreciated.

I have SEVERAL friends that have the Russel day long and swear by it!

I had a bad ordering experience with Rick Mayer. I ordered and paid for it with the promis of delivery of 2 weeks. 3 months later it arrived. Lots of calls and lies told in between. I would not go through him again. I did get the seat for my R1200ST and I think it was OK but if I get a new seat again, it will probably be a Russell.

Good luck with whatever you choose....

I have had two Rick Mayer seats and both were very good. No idea how they compare to Russell as I have never had one of those. Unlike BMWGirl I didn't have any service problems with my order.

The big question is how big are you? (you don't have to answer :) )

I like Rick Mayer's stuff (my RT seat is in FedEx ground on its way to Rick as I write this), but for heavier riders I believe even Rick will say that the extra support provided by Russell's transverse steel support strap (an innovation pioneered by Rick's father, Bill) is the way to go.

I have had both and both are very good. The Russell will be taller than OEM so if you're short, go with RM. I have had 2 RM and both were outstanding and I had no problems with the order. RM will "loan" you a seat pan so you won't be without a seat while yours is being made. I think RM is better looking that Russell (personal opinion) but the Russell may have an edge on support, especially if you are a very large/heavy person. I also have had a couple Sargents and although better than OEM, they are not as good as either the RM or Russell. My $.02

Do a "ride in" appt with Bill Mayer Saddles in Ohai, nothing beats a ride in, custom fit as they build it. You've got hwy 33 to try it out. A 3-3.5 hour ride from Vista. You could stay at Motel 6 in Ventura the night before, build your seat and ride home in the afternoon. :thumbsup:

Do a "ride in" appt with Bill Mayer Saddles in Ohai, nothing beats a ride in, custom fit as they build it. You've got hwy 33 to try it out. A 3-3.5 hour ride from Vista. You could stay at Motel 6 in Ventura the night before, build your seat and ride home in the afternoon. :thumbsup:

+1. I did the same. Had the saddle for 3 years now and still love it. Rocky and his wife are great hosts and the roads near Ohai are awesome. Take a significant other with you for a memorable weekend.

My RT Saddles

I can agree with what has already been said. I have a Rick Mayer seat for 2 years now. Had no ordering or shipping problems. The Russell has better support for the heavier (larger butt) riders but does make your legs shorter.

+1. I did the same. Had the saddle for 3 years now and still love it. Rocky and his wife are great hosts and the roads near Ohai are awesome. Take a significant other with you for a memorable weekend.

+2 I did this with my V-Strom, and I've been very happy with the results.

I have SEVERAL friends that have the Russel day long and swear by it!

I had a bad ordering experience with Rick Mayer. I ordered and paid for it with the promis of delivery of 2 weeks. 3 months later it arrived. Lots of calls and lies told in between. I would not go through him again. I did get the seat for my R1200ST and I think it was OK but if I get a new seat again, it will probably be a Russell.

Good luck with whatever you choose....

My Rick Meyer experience roughly parellels yours. He's a flake, I'd never deal with him again.

About the seat, they're ok, not great and not nearly as durable as the factory seat. The seams seem to want to wear out where your legs rub when you put your feet down which means you'll be needing a re-cover.

As BMWGirl said, good luck with whatever you go with, you'll need it with Rick Meyer.

DavidEBSmith

I can't disagree more strongly with that characterization of Rick Mayer. He had some issues when his business was growing, and apparently, G-d help the small entrepreneur who can't deliver Amazon.com service on day one. (There were also complaints about Russell when their new management took over, FWIW).

As far as picking one seat or the other, Rick told me that if you're more than about 240 lbs, the Russell seat will be better because the foam used in his seats (and Rocky Mayer's, and Sargeant) doesn't support that weight as well as the Russell spring mechanism does. (The "foam" in the Corbin seat is so stiff it will support the entire offensive line of the Chicago Bears).

I rode about 10,000 miles on a Rick Mayer seat in the 2005 Iron Butt Rally and after the first 1000 miles, when the seat was new and still breaking in, I had no seat issues. 40,000 miles later, the seat still looks great and the only issue I have with it is that I'm about 20 lbs too heavy for it.

Rick rides an RT himself, and I think he's figured out how to make a seat that fits that bike well.

I agree with EB in that people are prone to piling on when it comes to Rick. Having said that, I owned both, and my next saddle will be a Russell.

Dick_at_Lake_Tahoe_NV

I've had 5 Russell Saddles (on Harley Sportster, 2 RTs, a Valkyrie and even a VFR Interceptor), and now I have a Rick Meyer saddle on my R1200RT and one on my '08 KLR-650. Both Russell and Meyer are excellent. I found the Russell the most comfortable, but if you like to slide on the saddle as you go through the twisties, that's harder to do on the Russell. The Russell is the most comfortable especially if you're over 200 pounds. I'm 180 pounds and find the Rick Meyer Saddle to be nearly as comfortable as the Russell and I certainly would go with Rick Meyer again.

:thumbsup:

Thanks to everyone for your input. I am pushing the 200lb. but will be returning to a comfortable 185lbs soon. From what I have read, I am 80% toward the Mayer saddle.

I am confused about the location. Is he in Ohai or did he move to

5778 Heavenly Valley Lane Anderson, CA 96007

The later is his current website info.

I have a 2006 RT and weigh approx 250 lbs. I first bought a Rick Mayer saddle. The seat was well made but for the price I couldn't tell much difference from the stock seat. Rick made an adjustment but it made no difference. He finally refunded my price. He was very easy to work with and I can only speak well of him. I then bought a Russell and it has been a dream. It is truly a great seat and I have easily gone 600-800 miles per day with comfort. 100% recommend Russell!!

I haved owned one Rick Mayer, two RDL's and few others in between. My vote goes to RDL, hands down. If you're not happy with your decision, selling it on this forum should be no problem.

I have a Rick Mayer on my GT and I love it. Excellent craftsmenship. But there is truth the the customer-service issue with Rick. I was promised the seat on a certain date and when I called, they had not yet started working on it. And he didn't charge my credit card. I had to call after getting the seat to remind him that a great seat merits payment.

Also, my GT has the heated seat option. Rick said moving the heated pad from the BMW seat to the new seat requires almost no work and so there is no extra charge. Other seat makers charge quite a bit to retain the heated seat capability.

My RT Saddles

+2 Rocky made my RT seat. I had a Russell on a PC800. I just got back from a 2 day 700 mile ride on my Rocky Mayer saddle and for the upteenth time, I patted myself on the back for buying it. At the last BMW rally that I went to I heard lots of negative remarks about Rick buy none about Rocky. Made me feel good that I bought the one that I did.

Archived