IGNORED

Rick Mayer or Bill Mayer???

Bigfish

A little confusion between these two saddle makers.

The previous input between Rick Mayer and Russell was great.

What about Rick vs. Bill.

I believe everyone was referring to Rick Mayer

http://www.rickmayercycle.com/

But one post refered to Bill Mayer

http://billmayersaddles.com/BMS/Home.html

Bill could easily be a ride-in appointment.

Rick would be a photo based appointment.

Again, any and all feedback welcome.

Thanks!!!

I have had both seats- One by Rick on my RT, and my current GS has a Bill (Rocky) Mayer saddle.

As I am extremely inseam challenged, I sent pictures to Russell, Rick Mayer, and Rocky. Out of the three, the only one that would build me a seat was Rocky, due to my weight and inseam. Rick did not want to build me a seat due to the issue of foam breakdown although he did build me a seat for my 1150RT back in 2004 that worked very well for me. Russell did not want to build the seat because of the additional seat height / safety issues.

I sent pix down to Rocky and he said to come on down and he would build me a seat that would work for me. I have had that seat for just under 2 years now with no problems. The seat is comfortable, although not quite as comfortable as the seat that Rick made.

For flat out comfort over long distances, I think the Russell is the seat of choice for most the riders here, however it was not a go for me.

Rick or Rocky- tough choice. Talk to both of them then make a choice- They both build a quality seat.

Then of course if you want to sit on a concrete park bench while you are riding, there is always Corbin.... :eek:

Paul Mihalka

Bill/Rocky/Rick Mayer: This is how I remember it. Bill Mayer was a long-time seat maker who originally designed the current Russell Daylong seat, with it's steel spring inside frame. He sold his business to the Russells, with a agreement that he won't make seats for 10 years. After the 10 years were up he started making seats again. About two years later he passed away. He had two sons, Rick and Rocky. They both make seats, but I understand they don't talk to each other. Rocky took over his dad's business, so that is today Bill Mayer Saddles.

Fightingpiper

I have a bill/rocky mayer and like it. If I had to do it again, because of my size~300#, I would get a Russel. It is a great improvement over stock but foam just doesn't hold up over time with a person of my size. I do however like the looks of my Bill Mayer.

343596479_Z5KZq-L.jpg

399177992_99t24-L.jpg

A little confusion between these two saddle makers.

The previous input between Rick Mayer and Russell was great.

What about Rick vs. Bill.

A little history lesson....

"Bill Mayer, known as the Saddle Meister and Dr. of Buttology, worked tirelessly since 1971 perfecting his designs and materials which he handcrafted to build the finest of touring saddles. He was the inventor of the original "Day-Long" saddle. The patent and name were sold to Russell. In his later years, he perfected new seat designs using varying densities of foam instead of built-in spring mechanisms to achieve a custom fit. His final designs are used today by his eldest son, Rocky. Prior to his death, he formed a partnership with Rocky (Bill Mayer III). With his years of riding experience and knowledge given to him by his father, Rocky continues the legacy using the exclusive foam core technology of his father's design."

Bill (Rocky) and his brother Rick had a falling out and now have seperate business'.

The difference between Rick and Bill are not drastic. Both use a multi-dense foam core seat. Rick's saddles have more stitching, which in my opinion looks good but is not very weather resistant. Either will make a great saddle but again I would choose a ride-in appointment for the best possible fit.

Next question, VINYL or LEATHER......

I'd go with Rocky (BMS) since you can do a ride-in (as we suggested in your other thread). When I did the ride-in with my V-Strom, Rocky came out with a seat with all the foam pinned in place but no cover, and had me take it for a ride. Based on my comments from the ride, he changed the foam and had me ride it again. Then it was great, and he put the cover on and finished it up. Doing this through the mail would have been expensive and time-consuming. I believe you will be far happier with the result if you do a ride-in.

Both of my bikes have Bill Mayer saddles on them, but the one on the RT came from the previous owner. If you want to come by and have a look, PM me. You're just down the road.

I have one made by Rick that I made a ride-in appointment for.

Since you live in SoCal, the best option would likely 'Go see Bill' for a ride-in appointment. You'll not only get a great seat, and any adjustments needed would be done on the spot, but you'd get a better appreciation for what it takes to have the seat made for you. I imagine you can see the seat made while you wait as I did at Rick's.

I'd recommend you first see Oscar :grin: , then go see Bill.

GREAT!!! You board members are fantastic. I will be going with Bill/Rocky and doing a ride-in appointment. Thanks for all the input and the history. Hope to meet a few of you some day. I'll be going to the Fall Torrey event... hopefully on my custom saddle.

Cheers to all of you!!! :clap:

Ride well my friends,

Bigfish

Archived