IGNORED

Ground effects on R12RT

TazzyTazzy

623046036_pnanJ-M.jpg

First off, I'm new here, and I just picked up my new (to me) Red 2006 R1200RT last week. YAY. LOVE IT! It's a nice from my 2007 F800ST for long distance rides.

Second, I've NEVER put on ground effect lights on any vehicle (been driving for only 14 years). I've never even had the desire to. But, for some strange reason, I think this bike is begging for some simple "ground effect" lights.

I was thinking of installing red LEDS up under the front tupperware aiming down onto the grey tupperware just above the heads (see black arrows). This way, you wouldn't see the actual LEDs, but just a red, soft glow. I think that would look really cool, like there's a beast that's been tamed under the hood.

The second area, and I'm not so sure about this area - would be under the seats aiming down (see red arrows). I'm not sure this would look as good. I'm 6'4, so the seat is always in the upper position.

I'm in California, so I'll need to find out if it's legal, but I think it is if it's not aimed forward and you can't see the light source directly. Next time I'm at the BMW dealer, I'll have to ask a cop as it seems they are always there.

Looking for feedback. Do you think this would "cheapen" the bike or detract from it? I want to do a subtle glow, not bright at all.

I appreciate any feedback, good and bad. Thanks.

IDK how it would look. I can't recall much in the way of additional lighting of that type being discussed here.

I think the front lighting would be ok, I'd like to see what it looks like. The under-seat one, I'm a bit more skeptical about. I'm not sure how you'd get it to work, and once there, I think the lower parts will cast more shadows than light.

But...I don't have an R12 :(

I love the idea and have been considering the same thing in the front area, as well as a light up and behing the grill on the front and "under the skirt" behind the front wheel. Nothing bright, really only visible in the night or a tunnel. I have the dark grey and black, and inted to use purple or blue lighting, but all that is a winter project.

pletch

It would be unique. I haven't seen this on any other R1200RT.

There are ton's of nooks and crannies to put lights in. Get some LED lights, turn off the garage lights and go for it! Post some long exposure pics so we can learn from your experience.

Thanks guys.

Woodie: I'm with you bout the seat. Not so sure about that one.

Pletch: I know for sure you cannot have a red light aimed forward. I'm hoping that red light coming from the side wouldn't really be seen from a forward view. Blue is a HUGE no-no across all the states coming from any direction. I was reading on some car tricking site that blue lights get the fastest attention from cops. I think purple was the 'safest' as far is getting cop attention. Green is volunteer fire fighter. And yes, this will either be a winter project or when I'm on-call and can't really travel much.

I think I'll try to go for getting a sort of accent red glow effect as if the engine is a tamed beast. This may include mounting some LEDS on the grey section and 'aimed' at the engine.

Hopefully this won't get to pricey of a project. :-)

LOL. Yea, I know lvmyks. It's not the best looking. Came with the bike; I bought the bike used last week. So far, I've only carried the top on once - to the grocery store, so I don't typically ride with the top luggage on. Or, if someone wants to do 2up with me, I suppose I'll toss it on for the comfort factor.

I was looking around, looks like flexible 12v LEDS can be had for fairly cheap.

The lights on the front tupperware would prolly look good. the under the seat lights ehh... not so good.

there was some discussion, either this forum or the MOA forum where someone had figured out a way to illuminate the BMW roundel on the front tupperware. As I recall it, it was illuminated from behind with a muted blue LED and it looked very nice.

if you start to add lights make sure that you consider the canbus!

Angel: I thought something like that would be cool, but wasn't too sure. I found the illuminated BMW roundel thread on this site. Looks pretty cool, but not sure I'd go with blue. It's not compatible with my bike anyways, looks like only the 1150RT's for now.

I'd power everything from a Centech, using the can bus to trigger the relay.

Someone sent me a private message pointing me to a PDF for additional marker lights which looks really interesting.

I'm thinking of installing some of those marker lights from that PDF (or something like it), but tie them into the turn signals, and reversing the turn signal light pattern. That is, when the turn signals are normally off, they would really be on, and when the turn singals are on, the lights would really be off. That way, they would double as running lights, but could also be used as turning signals. This is just a thought for now, I need to look into feasibility of this. Has anyone else reversed their turn signals to make them into running lights? I'm sure finding a relay/module that would do this can't be too hard to find, and I don't think the battery draw would be too much. Again, I need to research this.

Archived