IGNORED

Replacement for Kenwood TK-3131?

ashleybiker

It is my understanding that Kenwood is moving away from offering better quality GMRS radios like the TK-3131 and have discontinued this product.

Moving forward, what GMRS (tx/rx capable) radio would serve as a likely replacement to the TK-3131 considering some of the following?

Does not have to be Kenwood

Available as a new or existing product line

Comparable build quality & specs to the TK-3131(or better)

Ease of channel & squelch code selection like the TK-3131

Display screen

Selectable TX power

Usable as stand alone and w/Autocom or other system

Price point in line with a TK-3131 up to about $300.00usd

Uses include "bike to bike", hiking, fishing, camping etc.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Steve, Kenwood still makes the TK-3130 which is identical to the TK-3131 but with different channels. Dealers can re-program the 3130 to "make it a 3131". Here is one who does this--read the text.

http://www.buytwowayradios.com/products/kenwood/kenwood-tk-3131.aspx

Once it is re-programmed, it IS a 3131. I have 2 of the 3131's and they work great. The rechargeable battery packs will last for 2 full days of riding, but if you talk TOO much, you can always pop 3 AA batteries into it and keep on talking. The radios are always heard crisp & clear by other riders.

(And it is compatible with the Autocom Kenwood double-plug wiring harness)

(Edit--and fyi I bought my 3131's from the dealer above, seemed reputable. They are located, coincidentally, about 30 minutes from where I live so I picked them up at their warehouse).

Thanks for the info but...this won't seem to work as this website shows the TK-3130 is a discontinued radio too... !

I wish it was that easy. I will call the dealer to see what they might recommend.

Thanks

Archived