IGNORED

Zumo 550 to Autocom Active Duo - Need Help

Turbosneeze

I bought an Active Duo from a boardmember here and am trying to hookup my Zumo 550 to it now. I need to know what Autocom parts (with part#) I need to complete this install. Here is what I have and what I want...

- Hard wire my Zumo to the Autocom unit (I need lead from my Zumo to the Autocom as the Active Duo kit I bought didn't come with this lead)

- Pair my iPhone via Bluetooth to my Zumo 550 so I can listen/talk/operate all my cell phone functions from the Zumo touchscreen (do I need any additional lead or parts for this?)

With the 1314 attached from my 550 to my Autocom, will I be able to use my cell phone if it is Bluetooth'd to my 550?

I'm just not sure how audio from my Autocom boom mic is able to get back to my cell (iPhone in this case).

Please advice. Thanks.

Yuji

They used to have a bluetooth adapter, but I don't see it listed on-line anymore. They are changing over to a new product line so it would be best to contact them (Autocom UK) directly for advise.

I thought I posted a long answer to your post- apparently I did not hit the submit button.

The short answer is that the setup will have two cables FROM the Zumo mount into a junction box and then ONE cable out of the box to the Autocom unit. The autocom takes the voice you make in the helmet microphone and puts it into the cable out of the box into the cable to the Zumo mount that has the very small plug. That is the cable for your voice OUT to the zunmo which is bluetoothed to the phone.

All the audio going to your helmet from the zumo (navigation prompts, mp3 in the zumo and received voice from the phone) goes into the cable that has the 3.5mm stereo plug.

IIRC the cable you need is a 1299.

See this- this is what you want... but there are other solutions to the problem. http://www.autocom.co.uk/?autocom=products&catalogue_number=1299

As you may know the US distributor has closed shop and the new one is starting to supply the new version of Autocom parts to the stocking dealers.

The '06 version parts still exist but you have to search around for them. There is a Canadian seller on ebay that has a lot of parts and is very responsive to questions.

Firefight911

Part #1314 (stereo music lead, isolated) is your hardwire connection for the best stereo clarity for any music sourced from the Zumo to your Autocom as well as your GPS voice prompts.

You'll need an Autocom Bluetooth Dongle #1276 OR #1273 (depends on whether your Aux 1 is powered or not) for your phone.

Your phone will Bluetooth to your Zumo and your Zumo will Bluetooth to the Dongle.

Once you have this done, you're all set!

Sync the Dongle to the Zumo first while your other Bluetooth. After you get that done, sync your phone . Dongle gets sync'd as a headset on your Zumo and your phone as a phone.

Hope this helps.

As an aside, I recently wanted to add a PTT switch to my Autocom but Topgear had no more in stock (they are phasing out of Autocom). I eventually found the outfit below and they did have one. They mention they are a new stocking dealer for Autocom US and they shipped very quickly. They have quite a few items in stock on their web site if you're looking for the required parts mentioned.

http://www.amotostuff.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=SFNT

Part #1314 (stereo music lead, isolated) is your hardwire connection for the best stereo clarity for any music sourced from the Zumo to your Autocom as well as your GPS voice prompts.

You'll need an Autocom Bluetooth Dongle #1276 OR #1273 (depends on whether your Aux 1 is powered or not) for your phone.

Your phone will Bluetooth to your Zumo and your Zumo will Bluetooth to the Dongle.

Once you have this done, you're all set!

Sync the Dongle to the Zumo first while your other Bluetooth. After you get that done, sync your phone . Dongle gets sync'd as a headset on your Zumo and your phone as a phone.

Hope this helps.

Phil, I think your answer may be correct but the OP was going in a different direction. He wants to synch the phone B/T to the zumo and hardwire the zumo to the Autocom. That is the path I took and I have great stereo... far better than I expected.

In my opinion, you CAN B/T the Zumo to the Autocom Dongle but you have wires running all over anyway- what is the advantage of it?

Just depends on what you want.

Bob

John- please explain the advantage of B/Ting the phone to a dongle and using a powered port?

Phones B/T'd to the Zumo gives the phone book, call history and etc on the Zumo screen- plus dialing and call home feature. Does the dongle retain those features?

Not trying to start a fuss, just trying to understand.

John Bentall
John- please explain the advantage of B/Ting the phone to a dongle and using a powered port?

Phones B/T'd to the Zumo gives the phone book, call history and etc on the Zumo screen- plus dialing and call home feature. Does the dongle retain those features?

Not trying to start a fuss, just trying to understand.

My reply was not careful enough. I should have said bluetoothing the phone connection on the Zumo via the #1273 or #1276.

The dongle on the Autocom end can be powered from the Autocom unit itself if Aux1 is powered (#1273) or via a +12V supply if Aux1 is not powered (#1276).

The pre-2009 Autocom units were designed before the stereo-music playing Streetpilot 2820, Zumo 550 and 660 appeared. These units changed all the rules about the capabilities required from an intercom hub. The ports and mixing of the 2009 Autocom models are designed maximise the benefits from this functionality - a fully wired solution now works properly and the expensive B/T dongles are optional rather than mandatory.

Bob,

I just got #1299 and plugged it all in. Everything seems to work (music, gps directions), but when I try to make a phone call, I can hear the person answering/talking, but they can't hear me back.

Did you have similar issue(s) with yours? Any advice for troubleshooting this? Thanks.

Also, my headset is Part#1126/2088 and it appears to have a background noise sensor plug to it. In the website, the plug appears to have a loop wired on it, but mine came without a plug. Do I need to do anything to the unplugged background noise sensor plug (could this be the issue for my mic no working)?

Woohoo!!! No worries about my previous Q. I got it working. I just rigged a wire and connected the 2 ends on the noise sensor plug end and now everything seems to be working. I will give it a road test soon to see how it all works together. Not sure why my headset sensor didn't come with the looped wire plug though (as it is shown in the pic on the Autocom website). I bought it from TopGear... wonder why...

Went on a road test today and most everything seems to be in working order. I do, however, have a couple of questions.

When listening to the music through my Zumo550, the music volume is just fine, but when I get on the phone, the volume is noticeably lower than the music. I will have to turn up the volume on my Zumo unit, but when the call ends, the music will kick back in and the volume will be too high. Is there anyway I can configure the setting to eliminate this volume inconsistency?

Also, I have my Autocom powered to my tankbag via an SAE connector. I bought the tankbag kit from Powerlet that has an SAE connector (for my Autocom) and a cigarette lighter connector (for my iPhone). The SAE connector powers my Autocom but the cigarette lighter does not power my iPhone. I know my iPhone cigarette lighter connector works cause it works on my car, but not through the Powerlet cigarette connector. Is it possible that the Powerlet cigarette connector is not working properly. Anyone experienced this before?

Your help is much appreciated. I am almost there to a perfectly working Autocom system. Thanks a bunch guys.

Yuji

Archived