IGNORED

Iphone 3GS gps/mp3/phone

Nate9k9

I am considering purchasing a Iphone G3S. It appears to posses most of the attributes I am looking for; such as gps, mp3 player and phone, all in one. I don't know if you can program routes into it though. Have any of you folks attempted to use it as your all in one device? If so, what are the shortcomings?

I don't have an iphone, but I believe the gps is an additional monthly fee to access it. There may be additional fees if you use it to much. Read the fine print first!!!

As an mp3 player and phone, it works great. As far as GPS though, it leaves something to be desired. If you want to know where the nearest restaurant or gas station is located, then it's pretty good. But for turn-by-turn directions, and accurate positioning it's better to go with a 'dedicated' GPS and all the functionality and accuracy it brings to the table.

Several GPS apps available for the iPhone.

Search the app store thru iTunes for Navigon MobileNavigator

and Xroads G-map series.

You can also search online to go to the main websites.

Both products are intro priced now,they are getting good reviews.

G-map is divided into sections,MobileNavigator is the whole country.

I have a new 3Gs and have the Cali version of G-map,have just been playing with it a bit,seems to work well,you can add waypoints and manage your route.

JR356

I have the 3G version (AU), and am happy with it. TOM TOM has just released a turn-by-turn nav app in the Appstore for the iphone.

In Australia it costs $99, which misses my price point by about $40.

There are a small number of turn-by-turn apps available also.

The problem with the iphone (in its original form) is that it does not hold the maps natively. It requires a data connection to download them as required.

My understanding is that the aftermarket apps (like TOM TOM) do store maps natively.

GPS functionality is not charged for (in AU). It is, however, assisted for quick initialisation by phone towers. I travel all over the country (daily) for work, and find that when I switch the iphone GPS on in another city (with phone coverage) it initialises within a few seconds. My hand-held GPS can take several minutes.

I'm yet to try it outside phone coverage but I'm led to believe it can take quite some time to get a fix.

Update: Crikey! I just tried it with the phone switched off (flight mode), and it fixed my position within about 5 seconds! The last time I had the GPS function on was yesterday about 800nm away.

Hope this helps! :)

Prior to the 3GS model, the iPhone makes a poor phone for car dialing because you have to look at it to touch it correctly to make calls. The new voice activation appears to overcome this issue. Non-issue for me since I BlueTooth it through a Garmin GPS and operate it that way if I need to dial.

You may not like the keyboard. I don't. It works but I still want a fold-up BlueTooth keyboard and it is just nonsense that Apple doesn't provide those drivers. They were around years ago for Palm PDA's.

The camera is just a hair too wimpy in average to low light. I'm sure the next gen device will hit my sweet spot for that. Even the current 3GS can't be used as a conferencing web-cam because it is on the wrong side of the phone!

Otherwise my iPhone 3G is an awesome integrated device. It totally rocks as an MP3 or podcast player. Well integrated with iTunes (another not-favorite of mine but it works). I get very good synchronization of work stuff through MS Exchange. I tried Apple's MobileMe service and it is very powerful, if a bit expensive, as another synch option.

The Tom Tom app is 1.5Gb, so I'm guessing it will load the entire map database on the phone itself. If that's the case, make sure to get the 32Gb model to leave plenty of space for your photos, movies, musics, etc. This app turns your iPhone into a Tom Tom. Also, you can buy a Tom Tom cradle to mount your iphone to your car's windshield. It's intriguing, but I don't need it since my car has a nav built in and I have the zumo for my bike. Also, I'm not sure I'd ever be willing to mount my iPhone on my handlebars for use while riding as it's not a hardened device made to take this kind of abuse.

As a thought for mounting it.......RAM-mounts makes a nice looking set of mounts for the iPhone. I know a few guys on my Jeep forum are using them and are pleased. If they work as nice as the RAM mount for my 2610, then I'm sure it is a winner.

I also wouldn't mount my iPhone anywhere on my bike in the open air. I like it too much to abuse it like that.

Most of the new nav apps load maps to the phone,so yes,a 16 or 32 Gb model is useful.

Really mixed reviews on the Tom Tom,most feel it's overpriced compared to the competition and was rushed to production.For $99 you can get a real GPS with

a bigger screen,etc.

JR356

I think some of these cell phone GPS services need cell coverage. Out in the boonies, you might be lost.

Many of the new GPS apps work on the built in GPS chip in the newer iPhones,they don't depend on cell coverage

I would suggest all interested check the details at the app store or the mfgs.website just to be certain.Also read the reviews

at the app store.

JR356

Archived