IGNORED

Laser Jammer

frenchwv

Nope but sure LOOKS like they know what they are doing....I mean it appears to work in the video.

Anyone want to be the first in the barrel?

Combined with the 'undetectable' STi it should be a winner.

Jim

Most states have anti-jamming device laws. Don't you think the LEO would be suspicious if your bike showed "0" speed while all the other vehicles around you show some positive value?

The laws vary from state to state, but some states do ban these devices. Some work better than others, but the theoretical basis is sound, overwhelming the LIDAR gun's ability to measure your speed with bursts of infrared light. AFAIK, all of the laser jammers on the market have a switch for the driver/rider to deactivate them after slowing to an, ahem, reasonable speed, so if a rider was sensible in their use they would likely escape detection.

For those concerned about the use of a device like this, the use of Veil, a laser-absorbing coating, may be all the protection you need. Veil, when painted over reflective surfaces (like a motorcycle's headlight) substantially reduces the infrared reflectivity of a vehicle, reducing the targeting range of LIDAR. Combined with a good radar/laser detector like the Valentine One, it gives you a bit of a chance of slowing to a legal speed if you're being "painted" by LIDAR.

For those concerned about the use of a device like this, the use of Veil, a laser-absorbing coating, may be all the protection you need. Veil, when painted over reflective surfaces (like a motorcycle's headlight) substantially reduces the infrared reflectivity of a vehicle, reducing the targeting range of LIDAR. Combined with a good radar/laser detector like the Valentine One, it gives you a bit of a chance of slowing to a legal speed if you're being "painted" by LIDAR.

Interesting. I've never heard of this. It looks like a more inexpensive route to take. I wonder if you have to reapply every time you wash the bike?

Danny caddyshack Noonan

In CA, radar or lidar is used to verify a visual estimate of speed. Technically, a ticket can be written without electronic corroboration and isn't unheard of. Johnny Law needs to be trained to use radar or lidar. To be certified, you have to pass a test of visual estimation of a vehicles speed within +/- 5 mph. Not sure how many estimates are needed anymore for the test. A judge can also order court certification of LEO if there is some question as to their ability. At least that was the condition of the situation 15 years ago.

The jammer is CA illegal and probably FCC illegal...but I've never heard of FCC cops.

So, where do we get 'em?

The jammer is CA illegal and probably FCC illegal...but I've never heard of FCC cops.

Typically the FCC will be in vans... many times with antennas all over the top... and they typically do not pay attention to motor vehicles unless you are blatantly violating laws that have drawn their attention to you... and then they get to confiscate anything electronic that may generate a signal of any kind... ie... your bike, watch, i-pod, etc...

Personally, I just keep the speed within a certain limit (not necessarily the posted one) and am ready to deal with any ticket that comes my way for the way I am driving/riding...

Regards -

-Bob

DavidEBSmith

I have a suspicion, based on experience, but not backed up by data, that a plexiglas headlight protector may have the same effect.

Also based on experience, LIDAR needs a reflective surface to work. Front license plates are great. Chrome works well, too. On a BMW motorcycle, about the only front-reflective surface is the headlight, and if can be made to absorb IR instead of transmitting it to the headlight reflector, that would greatly reduce the effective range of LIDAR.

Most states have anti-jamming device laws. Don't you think the LEO would be suspicious if your bike showed "0" speed while all the other vehicles around you show some positive value?

Several lidar jammer models alert the operator, jam for a few seconds to allow time to slow down, then shut off automatically so all the lidar operator sees is an apparent decrease in range, probably somewhat normal when shooting a bike anyway so the use of the device probably wouldn't be obvious.

Regarding legality, I don't believe the FCC regulates lidar transmissions (I think the angstrom range range is somewhat above their regulatory authority) so not much of an issue there. Some areas have specific anti-jamming laws in the vehicle code but I don't think these are too common. I suppose you could always be cited for inhibiting an officer in the performance of his duty or somesuch but not sure how well that would hold up in court.

DavidEBSmith

Several lidar jammer models alert the operator, jam for a few seconds to allow time to slow down, then shut off automatically so all the lidar operator sees is an apparent decrease in range, probably somewhat normal when shooting a bike anyway so the use of the device probably wouldn't be obvious.

And on the LIDAR side, you wouldn't see "0", you would just not get a speed at all. The LIDAR gun measures speed by calculating the time-of-flight of a series of laser pulses, which gives a changing distance as a function of time, which gives speed. The unit won't display a speed until it's made a series of readings and checked them for statistical consistency. If you're not getting a good reflection or not keeping the beam on the target, it can take a while to lock on. The jammer works by hitting the LIDAR with a long blast of IR that swamps the IR pulses reflected back from the vehicle, so the LIDAR can't pick out the pulses of its returned signal from the general IR noise and can't do its speed calculation.

Some of the newer LIDAR models, though, can detect that they're getting a constant signal from a jammer and will display an error code that indicates jamming. Which if you're operating in a state with an anti-jammer law, might lead to an uncomfortable roadside discussion.

I have a suspicion, based on experience, but not backed up by data, that a plexiglas headlight protector may have the same effect.

Shhhh, don't let that cat out of the bag.

:Cool:

Some of the newer LIDAR models, though, can detect that they're getting a constant signal from a jammer and will display an error code that indicates jamming. Which if you're operating in a state with an anti-jammer law, might lead to an uncomfortable roadside discussion.

Ah, measures, countermeasures, and counter-countermeasures. Keeps it all interesting. :grin:

Archived