IGNORED

Today, Torrey is on my mind

azkaisr

markgoodrich

Well, well, well, as R. L. Burnside used to say, we just returned from ten days in Canada, and have a Cloudcroft trip planned the weekend after Torrey, and I was about to call the Chuckwagon and cancel my reservation. Then I saw this thread. Sounds like it might be a good idea to add a couple days on the front end, instead. I'm looking forward to meeting all the folks who so far have just been secret identities here on the forum. Lucky for y'all, Suzanne will be with me.

Now I just need to have my standard pre-trip tire panic, and I'll be ready to go!

Dude...if I had the vacation time I would be joining you--as long as you would pick up all the breakfast tabs. See you in Cloudcroft!

I just made reservations at Sandy Creek RV Park for Torrey. Something really different this Fall. I'm going to trailer my RT and a dual sport (XR 650 for those that care!) behind my old motorhome. I usually ride a lot going and returning and then just kick back there. But this time I'll be riding a lot there. I have a meeting Wednesday night and then I'll leave all loaded up straight from Victorville and see how far I can get before I need to sleep. Should pull in late Thursday, it is 8 hours from home to Torrey, 529 miles.

Sorry Fernando, Norah's got shotgun in my JEEP. ;)

:thumbsup:

What? We won't have Norah to leave us in the dust on the road rides? What is Torrey coming to?

You're bringing a dual sport!!!!!

I am....I told you I was too jealous of you guys last Spring. YIPEE! We're going riding in the dirt. I haven't been on a dirt bike since I retired from racing three years ago. My wife is not happy about it though as she knows my right hand is not attached to my brain. I'm borrowing my buddies Baja pre run bike to try and convince my wife I can go riding at a conservative pace (I also need to convince myself). The bike is set up for 100 MPH so I'm going to try and soften it up a bit. I need to dig through my box trailer and see if any of my gear is still any good. I just phoned in my credit card to the RV park Bob recommended. I may throw my little quad on the trailer to run back and forth to the CW. I'll look like my garage rolling down the road :=)

What? We won't have Norah to leave us in the dust on the road rides? What is Torrey coming to?

Not to worry, Bill...there will be plenty of two-wheel rides as well as four!!

russell_bynum

Not to worry, Bill...there will be plenty of two-wheel rides as well as four!!

LOL. If you ever want to feel slow...go for a ride with Nora when you're on a "Fast" bike and she's on her RT.

They don't call her the Queen of Lean for nothin'.

:grin:

Jet kit for the DRZ has been ordered, so this time it might actually run halfway decent...thus giving me one less excuse for why I can't ride worth a crap. :dopeslap:

Jet kit for the DRZ has been ordered, so this time it might actually run halfway decent...thus giving me one less excuse for why I can't ride worth a crap.

Well I guess that's one more excuse I will have :grin:. BTW is my (stock) DRZ going to run like crap at 10,000 feet or will it be passable?

russell_bynum
Jet kit for the DRZ has been ordered, so this time it might actually run halfway decent...thus giving me one less excuse for why I can't ride worth a crap.

Well I guess that's one more excuse I will have :grin:. BTW is my (stock) DRZ going to run like crap at 10,000 feet or will it be passable?

Assuming yours is the S model, my understanding is the Mikumi carb that you've got does better at altitude than the Keihin (FCR39) that I have in mine. But yeah...it's gonna suck. :)

It's not a big deal to rejet. I always put it off because I was afraid to get into the carb. I wound up leaving it with gas sitting in it for a couple of months and it wouldn't run, so I had to pull the carb, dismantle it, clean it, etc. Now that I see how simple it all is in there, I'm not skeert to mess with it anymore.

I also need to get some new tires for it. It's one of those things...on the Cathedral Valley loop, if it is dry, my tires will be fine. If it is wet, I'll be on my ass more often than not. So...I'll put new tires on the bike to guarantee good weather. :grin:

Assuming yours is the S model, my understanding is the Mikumi carb that you've got does better at altitude than the Keihin (FCR39) that I have in mine.

Well at least there's something that the Mikuni does better than the FCR. :grin:

Playing Mitch for a second it appears that 10,000' means about 30% less power just based on air density alone, even if the mixture is correct. Meaning, you'll get better mileage by re-jetting but perhaps not get back much power, unless it was running rich enough to have that be an added detriment. But I'm not sure how to figure what the A/F ratio difference would be with the same jets at sea level and 10,000'... that would take the real Mitch...

My '04 was stock when I got it last fall and here at home at 4400' was fine, but by 5500' (which is about 3-4 miles from here) it began to, as I described it, stumble when I applied throttle. Put in a dynojet kit and it runs fine up 12,000' Starts smelling a little rich by 9,500', but no serious performance issues.

For me the rejet and 3x3 airbox mod was simple following the video on thumpertalk (let me know if you need me to find you the link), and Eddie sisneros gave me specs that were fine. Simple yes, but pulling the carb was a PITA, and getting it back in was big two-person PITA.

Lets see which carbg do I have.... I think Mikuni but I'd really have to go see to be sure.

My DR-Z 400 S

Dynojet 3109 as follows:

3x3 mod, 130 main jet, dj needle, clip 3, stock 22.5 pilot

jet, 2.75 turns fuel screw

As recommended by Eddie. Perfect for around here.

Regarding the DRZ400S, I've read that one thing you can do with stock (without the 3x3 mod) bikes at high altitude is remove the air filter cover. This provides less restriction (à la 3x3) and with stock jetting will result in a leaner mixture. Undesirable at sea level, but what the doctor ordered at high altitude.

russell_bynum

My bike is an S model, but it's got the FCR carb (the aftermarket one without a choke), 3x3, White Powerfilter, and Yosh full system runs like a stripe-assed ape from sea level to about 6k. 8-10K and it stumbles pretty bad when you get on the throttle. That makes it pretty hard to do anything that requires finesse with the throttle. At 12K it barely wants to run.

I rode Jan's bike last fall and while it definitely had less power than mine (which you would expect with my carb and pipe) the throttle response was great and it was a much easier bike to ride.

I'm hoping that with the rejet I'm hoping I'll be back in stripe-assed-ape territory, and with good throttle response.

What tires do you guys like on your DRZ's. I'm running MT21's right now. I know lots of guys are happy with them, but to me, they just don't have the grip than the Dunlops that I ran before had.

Mine has the Dunlop 606's. I have no basis of comparison since I'm still on my first set of tires. However, they were on the bike when you rode it.

[

John, which carb?

It is a Mikuni and my bike is an 05. 142.5 is stock. I'd be concerned with a 130 at sea level but at your elevation Jan, I'm sure it is fine.

I'm running MT-21s front and rear. They seem to work fine. I still have them on from my CD ride and they are about half worn. Stock rear size is a 120 but I run a 130. Many folks run a 140 with no problem but it uses a little more power.

Seth, I think you will be fine, you are not doing anything so technical that the little stumble will ruin your ride and we won't be going screaming fast. Plenty of people ride here with sea level bikes. I had the CRF re-jetted and it made it pull better, but it was worth doing because I almost always ride at altitude.

Wow one month till Torrey and all of a sudden, I am starting to jones pretty hard to get up there and see my pals. Think it is going to be a Jeep Trip since I took the GT up in July. For those of you wondering the best part is that they have been repaving Sweeper Madness this summer and I bet the Hooning will be grand. Almost makes me want to trailer a bike up. And I am bringing my bicycle this trip too to tool around on. Anyone else feeling it yet?

Yep, Torrey is on my mind today.

I'm thinking it's gonna be a huge turnout!

Anyway to figure out how many peeps are gonna be at Torrey #18??

?????????????????

:S

A certain individual keeps telling me that the registration system is eminent. Now if we could get him off his bicycle, off his RT, off his CRF, and stop drooling over the arrival of his KLR, postponing scrabble wars and bagels, something might actually get done, but I have little hope for that.

Perhaps we should take matters into our own hands? A good old fashioned Torrey IN thread?

Anyway to figure out how many peeps are gonna be at Torrey #18??

?????????????????

:S

A certain individual keeps telling me that the registration system is eminent. Now if we could get him off his bicycle, off his RT, off his CRF, and stop drooling over the arrival of his KLR, postponing scrabble wars and bagels, something might actually get done, but I have little hope for that.

Perhaps we should take matters into our own hands? A good old fashioned Torrey IN thread?

Isn't it still 2009?

Well, it's on my mind today too. I couldn't remember if I had a definite registration or not at the CW. Unfortunately, we don't, but we are #5 on the list, so here's hoping I don't need a backup plan (I don't have one...)

And you know, not wanting to re-invent the wheel, it might just be easier to create an "event" over on Facebook for getting a tally of who is coming to Torrey and who isn't. I know some people don't have Facebook accounts, but it's not like it's tough or expensive to get one... Setting up an event is easy, seeing who is coming is easy, and no one really has to spend any time programming a web page. (Though if we really want to know who is staying where, that might be a bit tougher to track on FB.)

Just a thought. (From someone who has intended to get a registration tally system going for Torrey in the past, but never got the time.)

So...show up and see who's there. :Cool:

We don't need no steenkin registration.

For my part I wasn't thinking of a 'registration' per se, just more like a place to note your intentions (on a purely voluntary basis, so if you're worried about your public catching up with you you can choose to attend incognito. :grin:)

russell_bynum
So...show up and see who's there. :Cool:

We don't need no steenkin registration.

I kinda need an idea for the t-shirt.......

Ah...well that's different then.

Archived