IGNORED

Alarms

Dave Glen

G'day all,

I want to fit an alarm to my R1200RT and wondered if anyone knows of a unit that turns itself on when I get off the bike and walk away. I don't particularly like remote controls, they are too bulky to attach to the key ring and a nuisance to find if kept in jacket pocket. Also I would like one that has a solid state movement sensor. I don't need all the bells and whistles, I can't see the point in remote starting, anti-hijacking etc.

Regards Dave Glen

St Arnaud, Victoria, Australia

I don't know of such a unit, but the question got me wondering how it would work. Without a remote, how would the alarm know it was you coming back to the bike? Maybe I'm missing something here.

Anyhow, I've installed a Scorpio unit on my bike and it works well; albeit with a remote.

Paul In Australia

You can program the BMW alarm to turn on an off automatically when ignition is turned on or off. Mine works like that. keep the remote hidden in case their is a fail.

regards

PCH

Thanks for your help, I dont have the BMW alarm and hate to think what they would charge for one. I wanted an alarm like my partners Harley, she gets off the bike, ignition off, walks away and once she's about 2 metres away it arms, and only disarms when she is within 2 metres. All she has is a little plastic disc she keeps in her jacket. No buttons to push, all automatic.

There is an alarm availabe here, 2 wires to connect when installing and activates when you turn off the ignition. It sounds ideal but it has a mechanical motion sensor and I am concerned about its reliability with the fairly ordinary roads around here.

Regards Dave Glen

Thanks, I like the Ignitor except the motion sensor is a rolling ball. I'm concerned that our poor road surfaces here will have an impact on it's reliability. If they had a solid state motion sensor I would buy one.

Regards Dave Glen

St Arnaud, Australia

Ive got a liberator from cycle protect and a xena on the brake disc. The cycle protect is pricey but just phenomenal. 3 axis sensor that is only armed once the key is pulled... it will text message you and email you with gps coordinates where the bike is at if the bike is disturbed (and it doesnt take much). It will also monitor battery low and other things, like max speed, a geofence, etc. Finally with the web interface you can see where you went on your bike and how fast, all through a web interface. The best is that it whole unit is about the size of a deck of cards, fits completely hidden under my R1200RT tupperware, and contains a gps and cell 'phone' all in one.

The Xena, well it is a visible and audible show to not mess with my bike :)

Thanks again for your help. I have spent a bit of time today checking out the net and found the Scorpio i900 which is just what I am looking for. The only problem is the importers here are selling them for $600 which is a bit over the top when you consider the exchange rate between Canada and Australia is almost equal. I will see if I can import one directly, I just need to check if I can get it with a 240volt charger for the pager.

Regards Dave Glen

St Arnaud, Australia.

Archived