IGNORED

Autocom + HTC Touchpro + TomTom = misery

Paul Szilard - Australia

Paul Szilard - Australia

Dear Autocom Tom,

I hope you can be of assistance, here is my story:

After getting a new RT I decided to dig up my Autocom Active 7 Smart and buy a Bluetooth adaptor for it in the hope of making my system work. I had the following devices:

1) Autocom Active 7 Smart

2) Autocom Bluetooth adaptor

3) HTC Touchpro II Smart phone with bluetooth

4) TomTom Go 930 GPS with both Bluetooth and 3.5mm audio out

All my attempts to configure the above failed!

Scenario 1

Connect TomTom to Autocom via bluetooth. - Failed as pairing never worked.

Scenario 2

Connect TomTom via 3.5mm stereo lead. - Failed as the buzzing was deafening.

Scenario 3

Ignore GPS connection, just connect HTC Touchpro II to Autocom via Bluetooth. Pairing successful! Very exciting, until trying to use them. The phone assumed that the Bluetooth device had volume control, and the Autocom assumed that the phone had volume control, resulting in 100% ear splitting volume, which could not be reduced by either the phone's volume control, or the Autocom's volume control.

Thus we have complete failure of the communications system. Hopefully Tom will be able to make suggestions on fixing this :)

Here is what I would have liked:

1st Preference:

1. TomTom to connect to Autocomm via 3.5mm stereo lead for music

2. TomTom to connect to Autocomm via Bluetooth for hands free phone, as this way the TomTom displays shows incoming number.

3. HTC phone to connect to TomTom via bluetooth (this bit works!)

2nd Preference:

1. TomTom to connect to Autocomm via 3.5mm stereo lead for BOTH music AND voice guidance

2. HTC phone to connect to Autocom via bluetooth for hands-free phone - with adjustable volume!

I am awaiting guidance...

Paul

I have been in contact with our Australian distributor, Dave Madden at BlueRim and discussed this with him.

We are not sure why your TomTom does not connect with our Bluetooth dongle

If connecting a bike powered audio device to our bike powered system, you must use an ISOLATION lead, not just a standard music lead. It should be fine with our ISOLATION lead.

We do not know why you cannot adjust the phone volume (on the phone) while using it connected to our Bluetooth module. Normally most phones let you adjust the volume when using them via our Bluetooth.

David at Blue Rim has said, because you are both in Sydney, he will contact you directly about this, and perhaps if need be you can drop in and David can test some things out for you and supply the correct isolation lead etc.

Autocom UK tom

Paul Szilard - Australia

Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. I hadn't heard back from David, but I have his phone number and will give him a ring.

Is the isolation lead an opto-isolator? Just curious.

Is there any way to adjust the volume of the Autocom for a Bluetooth connection? That would be really helpful. Perhaps I might need to add an inline attenuator???

I'll report back on progress,

Thanks again,

• 1 month later...

Hi Paul

Have you resolved your issue? I have the same problem with an Autocom Active7, Zumo550, bluetooth dongle and earsplitting phone volume that I cannot control.

Everything works perfectly except for that, and I'm really curious if an attenuator worked, or if you've gotten to another solution?

Cheers, JB

Archived