IGNORED

Sidecase Alternate Finishes?

Twisties

I have concluded that the color matched painted side case is an asset only so long as the bike sits on the showroom floor. Once out the door it becomes a liability, or at least a PITN.

Having had several experiences with repainting, and being in need of more, yet again, I have now concluded that I'd like something a bit more durable, at least resistant to boot scuffs and minor collisions with walls when carrying the side cases around in buildings. Something I don't have to tiptoe around with.

So, I'm open to suggestions. I'm thinking matte black, but will listen to any good ideas. I'm thinking DIY, but again, any good ideas are welcome?

My vote would be:

1) Don't worry, be ugly (cases that is).

2) Get liners and quit carrying your shiny cases around posh hotels and B&Bs, scraping them on the walls as you go, and then repaint them pretty.

3) I've never seen Jesses on an RT.

My experience has kind of been the opposite in that the matte finish used on the oilhead side cases was just about impossible to repair and have it look good afterwards (I know some have their own repair methods but I've never been able to make any of them work for me) whereas paint is just... paint, meaning easier to address with common repair methods. At least that's been my own experience...

Matte black is actually a bad choice. It absorbs oils and is hard to clean.

So if you want your bike to look like absolute crap use rubberized truck bed liner... available in spray can!

shw-tr250_grp_cp.jpg

You'll roll up and show it off... people will say "wow cool" then say "did you see what that guy did... yuck!"

:thumbsup::wave::grin:

LinX or Rhino liner are hard as nails. You can get it in different colors. I have thought about getting some scuffed up lids and having them sprayed with the afore mentioned stuff. I really don't care if it aint glossy or pretty. My R1200RT is just a big shinny mule anyway.

The prior owner of my GSA painted the sidebags with a couple of rattle cans worth of "Dupli-Color Truck Bed Liner" from an automotive store. It looks surprisingly good, is quite durable AND is very easy to touch up if it gets a few scratches. (Obviously, you have to rough up/prep the surfaces and tape off key holes, locks, moving parts, etc. before spraying.)

YMMV

LinX or Rhino liner are hard as nails. You can get it in different colors.

The thickness of stuff means that anywhere clearance is important would have to be masked and then there's the issue of how to transition from the now thicker parts covered with the liner material to the uncoated areas.

Not to mention that I'd hazard a guess spraying this stuff on a system case could damn near double its empty weight. It's not a lightweight material.

Great in a truck bed though.

jan1y.jpg

Shot at 2009-09-02

We gots us a winner right here!!!!!!!!

Does he pee next? If you pee on the side cases does all the scuff come off? :clap:

Ever tried that clear paint protective film? I would think you could paint/polish out the worst of the scuffs and apply the film and then put a layer on at likely impact points...

I used Duplicolor OEM Black Trim paint on my unpainted (and badly scuffed) r1100 era bags. I roughed up the surface with a 3M scotchbright pad first. Several light coats. I only did the lid. It worked out well and looks like new. No peeling. Matches the unpainted area. 2 years and counting.

P.S. By scuffed up, I mean, not only the usual boot marks, but also large paint scuffs from (apparently) sideswiping a couple of cars (one was sky blue).

thencamebronson

On my R1100RS bags I used Rustoleum Textured finish on the lids. Looks as good as stock finish and is durable. I amm going to try the Duplicolor product GlenT mentioned in the previous post ont the bags themselves since they are beginning to show their age.

Also recommend Mother's Back To Black and unpainted black plastic parts. In most cases, this will restore the black colour, removing the oxide/grey surface. It's a really good product.

I'm going to leave my left saddle bag as is, with the visible scratches, to remind me every day, to PAY ATTENTION. Don't be looking at the scenery on those tight corners, no matter how slow I'm going.

Well, up here it can be found at most auto supply stores. I got mine at Canadian Tire. Not sure about the retailers in your area. Nappa? Look for the racks of spray cans.

Saddlebags were made for stickers and decals.

Take your memories w/you, cover up blemishes, be reflective,

show the world your political affiliation, it's the American Way.

Yes, I have considered that. I actually got 10 BWST stickers for that purpose, however, as time has progressed, I find that I need more like 100 stickers.

Recently I had one of the retention straps come loose during riding. When I opened the case the lid hit the ground. Ouch! Yeah, you can say operator error, I won't argue. Blame is not the point. I got some boot scuffs, yeah. I got some off color paint (definitely operator error, I know). I have case liners for travel, but take the bags off when the bike is at home, or when at at a hotel for several days because the bike is easier to store in the garage, easier to ride in traffic, and lighter w/o them. They get banged up in the house/hotel rooms. Frankly, if I leave them on the bike, they can just as easily get banged up in the garage. It's crowded in there.

I have thought about protective film. Maybe if I had thought that when they were new! Now it's way too late. Thanks for all the help. I'll look at duplicolor OEM trim and rustoleum textured sprays.

+1

show the world your political affiliation, it's the American [and apparently Canadian) Way, eh?.

+1

Fixed.

:wave:

Panniers get beat up. There is no way around it. Any protective film you apply will also get beat up and end up looking like crap. Spraying them any other color/texture will look okay for about a week, and then you will [likely] regret it when they look like an F150 bed liner.

Its like having smooth bumpers on a new car in the city Jan - they get banged up, and you then go through the phases of mourning and acceptance. Eventually, the beat up bumpers look okay and you are at peace with it, because its beyond your control.

My vote would be peaceful coexistence with blemished panniers Jan.

Rhino liner, like I did on the bottoms of mine Jan. I would only do the lower 1/2 though and like I am getting ready to do on mine paint the top half satin black. Statin is more forgiving when painting, and easier to keep up than flat. Also I would recommend a few top coats of satin clear to seal the paint. If you get a skuff then run down to Pepboys and grab a can of touch up and a can of clear. Now I have seen gloss smooth coat Rhino from a shop here in Vegas that a guy I know did his whole Harley in, and it looks pretty decent. The upside to that is as he demonstrated by throwing a 1/2" wrench at his tank, it bounced of and there was no mark or ding left behind. I think the guys could match the blue you have also, they did his in a really bright nuclear green.

I applied 3M clear tape and it protects my cases really well while keeping that showroom look. I also use case liners so the bags always stay on the bike when traveling.

TankSlapper.biz

r1200rttpk.jpg

Hmmm, do they make this in a diamond plate finish? :Cool:

Archived