IGNORED

Wha't the difference between BMW riders and Harely riders?

FLrider

With BMW's it's about RIDING, adventure, traveling... on 2 wheels.

With HDs it's a lifestyle and about the overall "experience". Wind in your hair, party hard, bar hopping, socializing.

BMW riders more often than not, tend to prefer solitude, riding solo, or 2-up, but not in large groups. HD riders...the more the merrier.

It's not social economic. It's about personality and different atitudes and approaches to riding.

My opinion... I'm 31, married, have a child and basically "grew-up". I don't party that way anymore. The "college years" are behind me now.

I ride because I like the performance and sense of freedom a motorcycle gives you. You're out there, in the open enjoyign ht ride. I think my BMW RT gives me the best compromise of performance and comfort for the type of riding I like to do. A HD is too expensive, and lacks the performance, comfort and "feel" I'm looking for.

Without their colors on, it is difficult to recognize a Hell's Angel member today. Many are clean cut CPA's and attorney's. No need to look like an outlaw and attract the wrong attention. The goal is to blend in with society while conducting criminal activity.

The outlaw posers haven't figured that out yet.

Fun reading. Guess, there's some truth being said here. I do see big herds of very noisy weekender HDs riding on Sundays out here in the Delta...and they always seem to end up parked in mass at the local bars in Freeport, Walnut Grove, and Rio Vista. One thing I also noticed, however, is that they will nearly every time give me a mass wave whether I'm on my Beemer or on the little Rebel....generally a pretty laid back tolerant bunch. My mechanic, an excellent professional BMW mechanic, and a Beemer, Guzzi, and other owner, also has a big chromed HD in his stable that he rides to work. He just loves motorcycles of all kinds. It's not always accurate to stereotype on the basis of the machine between the legs.

Except Brando wasn't on a HD in the movie and the "famous" drunken biker photo was staged.

Go figure.

When you're out on the road, a long way from home, the other bikes you see are (in no particualr order)

BMW's, Gold Wings, HD's, HD clones, and local sport bikes.

Down here when I see transitory bikes they tend to be #1 Gold Wings, #2 HD's (Xcpt during bike weeks), #3 clones, #4 Beemers.

No offense to the OP or anyone, but the longer this thread the funnier it seems, to me. Forgive me please, but I'll tell you why:

I was in West Germany in 1985, traveling with 2 German friends from their homes in northern Germany to the southern area, Bavaria. We were in a pub one day having lunch when these friends started snickering about the accents of the locals in the nearby booth. At this time West Germany was not only separated from it's eastern half, but here these guys were making fun of the little bit left of their fellow countrymen still in one geographical piece.

Nothing unique to Germans; it is just a story to illustrate how we all spend way more time thinking of what is different rather than what is the same.

I ride, drive, walk, bicycle, and in general like to move. God help me if I am ever immobile. Then I'll start nitpicking. I'm going to try to remember this going forward, for I have been found to nitpick for no valid reason. I should be grateful that I have a bike.

Going for a ride now. Love you long time.

PB

It's always seemed enigmatic to me. If I really wanted to be an outlaw, the last thing I'd want to do is to look like one. If I wanted to be an outlaw and stay out of jail as long as possible, I'd probably try to look like a CPA. On the other hand, if I really didn't want to be an outlaw, but wanted to dress up like one is supposed to look because it's more fun than dressing up like a CPA, then I guess it all makes sense.

Dave, I want to invite you to join the Hell's Accountants. We don't take sh-t from nobody! We ride into small towns and terrorize them by pulling surprise audits.

What you aren't likely to see is a large group of BMWs parked outside a bar. Cafe's okay.

The old saw goes:

Goldwing riders go from motel to motel.

BMW riders go from campground to campground (or camp site).

Harley riders go from bar to bar.

In the miles I've put on in the western US and Canada I've sure seen a hell of a lot of Harleys on the road, obviously on long trips. I've also seen more of them broken down beside the road than any other bike but that may just be because there are more of them.

No Harleys here!! If there was one, though, it would get a LOT of admiring attention.

It's always seemed enigmatic to me. If I really wanted to be an outlaw, the last thing I'd want to do is to look like one. If I wanted to be an outlaw and stay out of jail as long as possible, I'd probably try to look like a CPA. On the other hand, if I really didn't want to be an outlaw, but wanted to dress up like one is supposed to look because it's more fun than dressing up like a CPA, then I guess it all makes sense.
Are you saying you're actually an outlaw?
Dave McReynolds
Are you saying you're actually an outlaw?

No, I just dress like one.

Having owned and ridden Harleys for a third of my 30 yrs of riding life, I loved em, still do. During that time I always percieved BMW owners as Riders. Rarely saw a used low mileage Beemer, on the flip side, low mileage Harleys are everywhere. The bigest problem with an answer is trying to nail down an accurate cross section of each. Harley nation is HUGE and Beemer nation, not so much. For me, I'm a rider more than an owner and I ride the bike that puts a smile on MY face, whatever the brand. Currently an 1200RT, next year, who knows.

I think you've hit it pretty square, Mike. The Harley nation is extremely large, and thus it encompasses every type of rider. We tend to categorize based on those we've encountered, but most of us haven't truly encountered a valid cross-section. We see them on the road, but we don't know if they're on a 3000 mile trip or a 30-mile ride. We sometimes talk to them when we happen to stop at the same place. But that's only representative of that rider or that group on that day.

BMW riders, on the other hand, are a much smaller group and it's a lot easier to find their dominant commonalities. Still, they're an equally diverse group that also runs the gamut from hard-core riders to those who want to be seen on the brand.

Ultimately, what makes Harley riders and BMW rider different is that they each own different motorcycles. But if you get past the differences in the motorcycles, as well as in the cultures surrounding the bikes, we're all riders and we should all celebrate that above all else.

Personally, I'm very grateful for Harley's success over the years. There are a lot of self-serving legislators who would trample motorcyclists like a bug if they thought it would gain them two more votes than it would cost them. But when you look at Harley's numbers, and the fact that it's an American machine, I strongly believe that their presence in the market has been strong enough that it has kept the legisnazis away. Additionally, HD corporate, and through them their HOG chapters and members, have been supporters of rider education.

Having owned and ridden Harleys for a third of my 30 yrs of riding life, I loved em, still do. During that time I always percieved BMW owners as Riders. Rarely saw a used low mileage Beemer, on the flip side, low mileage Harleys are everywhere. The bigest problem with an answer is trying to nail down an accurate cross section of each. Harley nation is HUGE and Beemer nation, not so much. For me, I'm a rider more than an owner and I ride the bike that puts a smile on MY face, whatever the brand. Currently an 1200RT, next year, who knows.

I think you've hit it pretty square, Mike. The Harley nation is extremely large, and thus it encompasses every type of rider. We tend to categorize based on those we've encountered, but most of us haven't truly encountered a valid cross-section. We see them on the road, but we don't know if they're on a 3000 mile trip or a 30-mile ride. We sometimes talk to them when we happen to stop at the same place. But that's only representative of that rider or that group on that day.

BMW riders, on the other hand, are a much smaller group and it's a lot easier to find their dominant commonalities. Still, they're an equally diverse group that also runs the gamut from hard-core riders to those who want to be seen on the brand.

Ultimately, what makes Harley riders and BMW rider different is that they each own different motorcycles. But if you get past the differences in the motorcycles, as well as in the cultures surrounding the bikes, we're all riders and we should all celebrate that above all else.

Personally, I'm very grateful for Harley's success over the years. There are a lot of self-serving legislators who would trample motorcyclists like a bug if they thought it would gain them two more votes than it would cost them. But when you look at Harley's numbers, and the fact that it's an American machine, I strongly believe that their presence in the market has been strong enough that it has kept the legisnazis away. Additionally, HD corporate, and through them their HOG chapters and members, have been supporters of rider education.

Well put and I agree with you both. I vaguely recall some saying about books and their covers but it was a long time ago and probably doesn't apply anymore. :S

...clearly the majority of those who buy Harleys are buying into a lifestyle. They value the group identity, and the bike is their admission ticket. People who buy BMWs are buying the bike because they want to ride.

I have been reading EVERYONE'S responses with interest. This one caught my attention because I posed the same question to my wife and she expressed the above sentiment to a tee.

I think today's Harley owner has the same economic means as the BMW guy, so I don't think it's a money issue.

I will concede that most Harley owners don't put anywhere near the miles on their bikes that BMW owners do although I believe they get OUT more than BMW riders do. After all, there are more "bike nights" centered around Harleys than BMW's.

I think Harley riders are more social animals and prefer "bar hopping" and being with friends as opposed to putting on 600 miles on twisty roads.

But the bottom line is that Harley owners are trying to be part of a culture, an era epitomized by their experiences as teens in the 50's and 60's. By the early 70's, the American scoot was being replaced by the Japanese bikes and so went it's heritage, until the resurgence! Guys like me, reaching that magic age when we remembered the old American Steel.

I tried to figure out what caused me to make the transition. After all, I am in my early 50's, have always tried to buy American, have been a hard core Harley rider and, as a younger man, wore an MC rocker for many years, with a club that shall remain nameless.

I think I got tired of the same old, same old. After you been to a Sturgis or Daytona rally a half dozen times, have all the leather you need, have customized a half dozen bikes with chrome out the ying yang, what else is left?

I think I just wanted less noise, smoother ride, better performance. Maybe that's a Japanese bike but I just couldn't get myself to cross that line. I drew that line at BMW.

I think I wanted NOT to be stigmatized as that "poseur".

Anyway, thanks for all the input. Very interesting viewpoints. I was able to enjoy a few ponder beers while reading.

Ride Safe - In the end, two wheels are still just two wheels.

There is a difference, and it saddens me.

As those of you who know me on this DB know, I went from my much loved RT to a HD Road Glide because of my destroyed knees.

My RT had, GPS, headlight modulator, high output LED tail lights, 3M reflective tape on the bags, wiring for Gerbings / communications, and in general was set up very well to do some serious touring. The bike was pretty typical of the average touring BMW rider's mount, and was regarded with little notice.

My HD Road Glide has headlight modulator, high output LED tail light,3M reflective patches on the bags, wiring for Gerbings / communication, heated grips GPS, center stand, and is pretty well equipped for touring. HD folk regard me as though I just landed from Mars. There is a total rejection of the idea that someone might take one of these bikes as a platform for serious touring, at least the kind of serious touring that isn't centered around flags and "chrome on display" as the main theme.

A good indicator of the differences is apparent when you do a Google search for discussion boards on the two brands. There is no serious discussion board for HD. There's no good information anywhere on maintenance, modifications, etc. that are at all related to anything other than loud pipes, and spending many K dollars to take a 79HP bike and make it a whopping 85HP bike.

As for the Road Glide itself, it is a pretty good touring bike set up the way it is.

I feel a lot like Philip Nolan these days.

Anyway, thanks for all the input. Very interesting viewpoints. I was able to enjoy a few ponder beers while reading.

;) Hhhmmn, you got through a few beers while reading this? Either you are a slow reader or a fast drinker. Based on your previous Harley lifestyle I would stereotype that you must be both. That is my elitist BMW rider's opinion.

:rofl: Just kidding. Don't ban me bro.

Dave McReynolds

cid_image001_jpg01CA385B.jpg

A cowboy appeared before St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. 'Have you ever done anything of particular merit?' St. Peter asked.

'Well, I can think of one thing,' the cowboy offered.

'On a trip to the Black Hills out in South Dakota , I came upon a gang of bikers on Harleys, who were threatening a young woman. I directed them to leave her alone, but they wouldn't listen. So, I approached the largest and most tattooed biker and smacked him in the face ... Kicked his bike over, ripped out his nose ring, and threw it on the ground. I yelled, 'Now, back off or I’ll kick the shit out of all of you!'

St. Peter was impressed, 'When did this happen?'

'Couple of minutes ago….....'

cid_image001_jpg01CA385B.jpg

A cowboy appeared before St. Peter at the Pearly Gates. 'Have you ever done anything of particular merit?' St. Peter asked.

'Well, I can think of one thing,' the cowboy offered.

'On a trip to the Black Hills out in South Dakota , I came upon a gang of bikers on Harleys, who were threatening a young woman. I directed them to leave her alone, but they wouldn't listen. So, I approached the largest and most tattooed biker and smacked him in the face ... Kicked his bike over, ripped out his nose ring, and threw it on the ground. I yelled, 'Now, back off or I’ll kick the shit out of all of you!'

St. Peter was impressed, 'When did this happen?'

'Couple of minutes ago….....'

As Russell often says, "Now that's funny!" :rofl:

"God help me if I am ever immobile"

Don't worry about that Kathy. We'll all be there with you comparing notes on how to service our electric scooters and talking about where our next meet will be (hey, would you like a shot of brandy in your coffee?).

I also enjoy what both "groups" have in common and for me that's premised by their passion for biking - whatever that entails for them. My Kath and I join local bikers (nary an off continent bike in the paddock) at their bonfire get togethers and I can tell you their heart felt loss for one of their cherished fallen members is as great as it is here for those who knew (and who have come to know through postings here) Gleno. I enjoy listening and learning about servicing, modifying, sourcing parts, riding and touring from both groups. I think we have a lot more in common than we sometimes care to admit.

There is a difference, and it saddens me.

As those of you who know me on this DB know, I went from my much loved RT to a HD Road Glide because of my destroyed knees.

My RT had, GPS, headlight modulator, high output LED tail lights, 3M reflective tape on the bags, wiring for Gerbings / communications, and in general was set up very well to do some serious touring. The bike was pretty typical of the average touring BMW rider's mount, and was regarded with little notice.

My HD Road Glide has headlight modulator, high output LED tail light,3M reflective patches on the bags, wiring for Gerbings / communication, heated grips GPS, center stand, and is pretty well equipped for touring. HD folk regard me as though I just landed from Mars. There is a total rejection of the idea that someone might take one of these bikes as a platform for serious touring, at least the kind of serious touring that isn't centered around flags and "chrome on display" as the main theme.

A good indicator of the differences is apparent when you do a Google search for discussion boards on the two brands. There is no serious discussion board for HD. There's no good information anywhere on maintenance, modifications, etc. that are at all related to anything other than loud pipes, and spending many K dollars to take a 79HP bike and make it a whopping 85HP bike.

As for the Road Glide itself, it is a pretty good touring bike set up the way it is.

I feel a lot like Philip Nolan these days.

Hi Scott :wave:

A good friend of mine rode his Roadglide from So Cal, with GPS and Heated Gear, out to meet me in Cheyenne, WY. That was a terrific bike. If I was to pick one HD model that would be it. Happy riding.

Hi Rocer :wave:

I know there is a trailer in my future, along with that brandy. :grin:

• 3 years later...

Well the ones I've rode with. The Harley Riders ride 40-50 miles and have 4-6 beers then ride home. The BMW riders ride 400 miles break out their laptop to see who's online eat lunch and ride 400 miles home, no beers..

Other than that they are the same :grin:

I have a lady friend who rides a harley. She said that she went to a BMW rally once several years ago. Nobody could tell her where the beer garden was. So that was the end of that.

To me, riding a Harley would seem like driving a 69 Mustang mach 1 from coast to coast. Would it be comfortable? Hell no. Would it be awesome? Hell yeah!

Riding a BMW would be like, well, driving a BMW, from coast to coast. Would it be comfortable? Yep. Would it be awesome? It depends on the route, but yeah, probably so.

It seems the purpose of riding a Harley, is just that: you're riding a Harley! (Kinda like the 69 Mustang)

The purpose of riding a BMW is to totally forget that you are on a bike, and are but merely gliding along with the atmosphere, watching the world move underneath you. Kinda like flying.

I had a Harley not all that long ago. Coast to coast would be doable but would mean heat, vibration, and possible high-speed front end wobbles. Not that awesome, IMO.

"HD is loud, chrome, leather, in your face machismo..like a Corvette"

A Corvette has performance, a HD doesn't. In my mind I think of HDs mor like a fancy pickup truck, but without the practicality.

Seems a reasonably fair comparison, imo.

+1. Say what you will about Corvettes. They still put up great numbers on the skid pads. If I had the money I'd love to have a Callaway Corvette in my garage.

I'd take a Porsche Cayman any day instead. Doing donuts is fun once in a while but let's go drive it somewhere.
I'm with Vinny on this one; I see and have personally met many long distance Harley Davidson riders -- many of whom put us to shame in fact. They don't have Gerbings or heated grips, yet they're out there in the rain and cold just like many of us.

The myth that they consist only of posers is just that, a myth.

Around my part of the Sunshine state I see HD people on sunny, weekend days, hanging out around "biker" bars or on charity runs. They don't ride them to work, they ride them to show, a fashion accessory for the fiscally liquid.

The BMW riders are out morning, noon and night, all week, all weather, all temps. Might just be commuting to work or running errands but they are riding because they want to ride.

These are the people in my neighborhood, in my neighborhood,....(sorry, Sesame Street flashback there.)

It never ceases to amaze me how well-phrased, balanced and cogent your views are expressed, EffBee. Genuinely glad you are on this board. :clap:

I am a complete freak on this topic. A true cross breed.

My grandfathers, uncles on both of the family and father are ALL big Harley guys with a few Indians thrown in there.

I grew up racing MX since I was 6 and then got into roadracing in the late 80s and back into MX in the 90s. I have owned a few Harleys and I loved them at the time, but I found I was into them for the "scene". I was angry and full of angst and wanted to fit in. The scene gave me that. I started riding with some "red" clubs in Az and then moved from the farm devil groups to riding with a few angelic groups. Never a pledge or a recrut actually, just knew a bunch of guys and liked how hard they rode...when they rode.

I like to ride hard and fast and when 1% guys ride they DO ride hard and fast and you better keep up. I loved that, but the rides were usually as some have stated, hard and fast for 40ish miles, 6 beers and harder home.

I prefer riding farther and longer but still enjoy a couple beers even while riding, not power drinking and riding drunk, but enjoying a couple suds over a nice lunch.

I now ride 2-800 a day usually and do it alone.

I must agree that the BMW crowd is very conservative and can be quite judgemental if you do not fit the mold, but so does the HD crowd.

Come into a HD dominated crowd in Orange cordura with reflective stripes and a dayglo modular helmet with full ATGATT while riding a HD and you will get some looks and few laughs and even a few sneers and snide remarks at your expense.

BUT, come into a BMW dominated group and show on a Beemer in shorts and regular shoes with a half helmet and a Tshirt and see how everyone shakes their head and murmmers about you.

I quit caring a while back and just ride in what I want, how I want, when I want and where I want and screw everyone else.

I like my BMW, but knowing what I know now I do not think I would buy my bike over again. I am not even saying I would not buy another beemer, but I would not have started the process. Maybe Ducati or Moto Guzzi, or even an Asia bike. Less of a MOLD to have to fit into. Less activist mentality.

Scott's experience reminds me of my own. Recall that BMW's #1 "conquest sale" is Harley owners, meaning nobody buys more BMWs than current or former Harley owners. Something to keep in mind before stereotyping too much.

Anyway I got my start on a Harley and I had it for 8 years. I compiled an enormous amount of pretty serious information (over 50 product tests, and a goodly amount of technical articles). I became pretty well known in the Sportster community for this and I was getting a fair amount of product each month to test from manufacturers who wanted my feedback.

But my style changed over the years. Full face white Arai. Textile. Armored overpants. 800+ mile days. Weeks away from home on the road. Less and less about the bike and more and more about my rider education and skill level. And this got farther and farther away from HD mainstream. And closer and closer to BMW mainstream. The transition was natural from one brand to the other, but there is no question there is a difference in culture, and that they don't generally mix in certain key areas.

-MKL

Jerry Johnston

quote"Wha't the difference between BMW riders and Harley riders?"

The short story.............about 150 mile difference in range

It never ceases to amaze me how well-phrased, balanced and cogent your views are expressed, EffBee. Genuinely glad you are on this board.

He has to, owns the dang thing.

:wave:

Personally I see a difference between Harley riders

and Harley owners.

My previous bike was a 750 Yamaha. Knew a few HD people and enjoyed hanging with them at a BBQ or just sitting around watching football and drinking beer, having a good time.

But we never rode together. They, as several have stated, just rode across town to get to the event, drink, eat, laugh, make jokes about my "rice burner" then headed home. 15 miles tops. I rode a tankful when I left, just going nowhere, enjoying the scenery.

I think maybe its more of a mindset, a group thing. You want to do what those people do, then you own what they own. Same here. Same with Japanese touring bikes or Can-Ams or sportbikes. What clique are you interested in?

Or I could be full of cow patties. :eek:

Have put around 13,000 on my 2010 Ultra classic. 90% has been long slab 2 up riding. Could not ask for more comfort. I certainly would not, and have not taken it on the BRP or any real twisty roads where I want to do some spirited riding. That is what the RT is for. As mentioned by those with open minds,stereotypes are really never applicable when you look past all of the b.s.

Archived