IGNORED

Not another oil thread....

SageRider

Michael, I & some of my off road riding friends have been using WD-40 on our off road motorcycle chains for years.. That has really increased the life of our off road bike chains..

While the WD-40 is crap strictly for a lubricant,, on “O” ring type chains they are lubed down inside & sealed so nothing gets in there anyways.. The old gear oil & chain wax we used to use just collected dirt & crud & caused accelerated chain to sprocket wear..

While most of my off road group uses WD-40,, some only use the WD-40 to clean & lube & others like myself use the WD-40 to clean & allow the chain to dry then use a spray Teflon type dry lubricant to coat the chain..

I regularly get 15,000+ miles from my off road chain & sprockets using the WD-40/ Teflon treatment..

Is it the best? Heck I don’t know but it is sure better than what we used to use & my current chain/sprocket life is way better than I ever had in the past..

Twisty

The old formula was to clean the chain and then soak it in a mix of kerosene and parafin. Chains and lubricants have changed since then.

No, a mix of 40 weight & molybdenum powder in a cast iron skillet over a gas burner, chain submerged for an hour. Worked wonders, but it sure was messy for the first few miles upon installation. :P

No, a mix of 40 weight & molybdenum powder in a cast iron skillet over a gas burner, chain submerged for an hour. Worked wonders, but it sure was messy for the first few miles upon installation. :P

But the pancakes always taste strange the next morning...

Well at least it's not another oil thread.....

But as BMW adds more chain drive bikes, I can see how this might be of interest..... :dopeslap:

(Steve, Nice formula!!! Danny will love his pancakes!!! :thumbsup: )

doc47, too oily for where I ride off road.. ATF would just pick up sand & dirt & turn it into a gritty paste that would eat my chain & sprockets.. Probably work OK for a road bike though..

Twisty

Archived