IGNORED

Mapsource and Garmin question

Haynes

I have a list of waypoints on a spreadsheet that I want to put into Mapsource. Is there any way to import the whole list without cutting and pasting one waypoint at a time?

Your spreadsheet can export the file in .CSV (comma-delimited text) format, but Mapsource can't read that directly. There are however any number of shareware programs available for download that can convert .CSV to .GPX, which Mapsource can read. So yes, with a little fiddling it can be done, and probably a lot easier than manual entry if the list is long.

Thank you. I have played with *.gpx, *.csv and tab delimited files for a few days to try to somehow convert them into Mapsource. It became an unsuccessful quest.

I'll do a search for some shareware.

Google for 'csv to gpx' and you'll get a lot of hits. You may have to move the columns in the spreadsheet to get things in the right order (or maybe the converter can do that depending on its capabilities) but the overall job shouldn't be too difficult...

if you want to load it into Mapsource, and not your GPS you may be able to get by on Garmin's Point of Interest Loader.

If you have a GPS that uses POIs it's much easier to work with.

Archived