IGNORED

Bar risers and short wiring

Caddis

I posted this on the oilheads wrenching forum but didn't get any replies. So I thought I would try this forum.

I just got some Moto-techniques bar risers for my R1100RT, and with the left riser installed, I can't turn the handlebars completely to the left (don't know about the right yet) because the wiring coming from the left handlebar doesn't have enough slack and gets pulled tight.

I clipped one of the cable ties, but it looks like I will have to clip all but the last one (farthest from the handlebars) in order to get enough slack. This doesn't seem like a particularly good idea, but I don't see any other options.

Other people must have run into this issue before. Should I just clip the cable ties and not worry about it? Is there some other option here?

Thanks

You could try re-routing the wiring loom to the outside of the fork leg. Remove the handlebar to expose and undo the nut at the top of the fork leg - lower said fork leg a couple of inches (the front of the bike will flop over so be prepared) and move the wiring over

Kritou, interesting suggestion. I hope I don't have to go quite that far, though. It only needs a little more slack, so I will probably just try clipping a couple more of the cable ties.

I was concerned that with the cable ties clipped, the wiring loom would "droop" a lot when I turn the other way, with the possible danger of it catching on something. But I guess I will just try it and see.

I was just hoping to get confirmation one way or another from someone who has done this before. There must be tons of folks using these same risers - is nobody else experiencing this issue?

Archived