IGNORED

Where to leave a helmet?

Freightdawg

Sorry if this has been covered elsewhere, but a search revealed nothing.

I'm taking my first REAL road trip next week--like full bags and everything! When I commute I can stick my helmet in my trunk, but it's going to be full. What's the best way to leave the helmet on the bike so it doesn't grow legs when I'm at a rest area taking care of physiological needs? :S

TIA.

Jeff

If you don't have time to get the "helmet guardian", we have used a retractable cable lock (ski lock) for our helmets. Something along the lines of this

We have full face flip-up helmets with no D rings so we snaked the cable through the visor and attached to the bike through the "handle" adjacent to the pillion seat and rest the helmet on the seat.

I use a bicycle cable through the chin bar, the 'stich sleeve, and the topcase mount. Fast and cheap.

But, if you're only gone for a few minutes, it's a rare place that's worth the effort of all that security. At rest stops, I just set it on the seat or hang in on the mirror.

I've found that for short absences I can close the long end of my Shoei helmet's chin straps (which have a small plastic tab that's used to tie up the loose end) under the system case handles and either sit the helmet on the pillion's seat, the case or let it hang forward on the case by the strap. Once the system case is locked with the handle down, the strap can't be removed.

I haven't done much touring... but when my friends and I have stopped at the little country stores, or BBQ shop, or where-ever in those tiny little Georgia areas, we just placed our helmets next to the bikes and walked off... and they were waiting for us right where we left them when we returned...

Of course, that was in a very rural area and there was not a ton of traffic in the area, but people did come and go... they just left the bikes and our gear alone...

Regards -

-Bob

Wow! I'm touched. Thanks for all of the replies and great ideas.

And for Keith--I just got a new helmet and haven't had enough time to stink it up yet. ;-)

Jeff

A simple D-ring lock will work in most cases. Thieves do not want a single-color or plain helmet if it is not intact because it has no value. However, a helmet with bright graphics might be attractive for a thief to wear, so cutting the D-ring strap then becomes an option.

I carry a retractable lock, and I lock my helmet through the open eyeport and over the chinbar. It's a lot tougher to steal and if anyone wanted it, there's no way to get it (short of cable cutters or a hacksaw) without visibly damaging the helmet. Both are strong deterents to thieves.

I attached one of these locks on the bottom of my top-case and hang it from the d-rings and pray it doesn't rain while I am away from the bike and fill my helmet.

500669585_bomNG-S.jpg

I purchased a helmet lock that attaches to the License plate bracket. I bought it from A & S BMW. Work fine.

http://www.ascycles.com/detail.aspx?ID=1622

After several long trips where I simply set my helmet between the handle bars, I finally bought this same lock setup (although I never had anyone mess with my unsecured helmet). However, because I also have a license plate frame from my alma mater, the locking mechanism wouldn't fit properly. Not wanting to forego advertizing for my school, I simply welded a 1" extension into the bracket that holds the locks. Now I can secure my helmet and be a rolling billboard. :)

I use a Lidloc- one of those J shaped hooks that locks the helmet onto the sidecase. Bit of a PITA until you get the hang of it, but generally ok. The main reason I bought it is that the helmet is locked upright, so there's little chance of water or other unwanted airborne material falling into the helmet.

Allen

We have a long yellow cable that Aerostitch sells. Allows me to run it through the jackets and helmets and then attach the end loops to the "helmet locks" under the seat. Works well, never had anything wander. It would work better with a proper helmet lock, but it does the job.

While on the road, I leave it on the bike (atop the tank or hanging off a passenger footpeg) for everything from lunch to a several-hour hike.

For overnights, the trunk liner goes into the hotel with me and the helmet goes back in the trunk. No need to bring it into the room.

buy a 3/16" cable, about 6' long, with a loop at either end. run the cable through the helmet chin piece, then through your jacket sleeve, and use a little padlock to connect it all to your bike. Two birds, one stone.

One nice thing about this setup, if you're really lazy... and I mean REALLY lazy, you can set it up so that you can don the helmet and jacket without havivng to undo the lock! (diclaimer - just kidding, don't try that at home!)

Archived