IGNORED

Things around your neck...

Twisties

Often we hear that items in your pockets, or otherwise on your person, can cause injury in a wreck.

I get squeamish when I see someone (usually a pillion) with a camera strapped around the neck. At some point I started wondering about Camelbacks and other backpacks.

We are always happy to stop, so I never carried my Camelback on the RT, but have carried it on the dual-sport on dirt rides. Likely will continue to do so. But it got me thinking, because I see more and more riders wearing them on street bikes and deferring stops by drinking as they ride.

Are these things safe? I get to wondering what would happen if a strap caught on something during a get off.

Anyway, not to slam the things, just wondered if anyone else has thought about it and what folks think?

Makes sense to me...

I also have become concerned about people with hiking boots or other lace-up things that get caught on shifters and brakes when you want to put a foot down.

Makes sense to me...

I also have become concerned about people with hiking boots or other lace-up things that get caught on shifters and brakes when you want to put a foot down.

Hehe. I did that once on my VStrom. I was just popping down to work and didn't put on boots. The lace on my left runner snagged the clutch bleeder when I went to put my foot down. Fortunately, I was still moving enough that I had time to sharply jerk it and the lace came free. Lesson learned. I put my shoes in the side bag now, and wear my boots. On the rare occasion that I wear shoes, I tuck the laces in and sometimes do a quick check to be sure I am not secured to the bike somehow :)

That would have looked funny, I am sure. Lying with one leg under the VStrom, with my runner securely attached to the bike.

I think that more than one cyclist was pulled off a bike in the 70's when those long, colorful knit scarves were all the rage. They tended to get caught in the chain...

I think that more than one cyclist was pulled off a bike in the 70's when those long, colorful knit scarves were all the rage. They tended to get caught in the chain...

Lousy hippies....! :rofl:

Jan, I'm sure there's a possibility, but I gotta say that's bound to be a really low probability thing... If there's no data on it, maybe you're being overly concerned?

And on the odd occaision a pant leg gets caught on that shift lever..... does that mean we should all go 'legless'?

After getting the leg of my bell bottoms caught a few times, I got in the habit of getting my foot out early to avoid that last minute panic. Still do, but now it's more to see if my leg will still move. But don't ya miss the days of bell bottoms and acme boots; I haven't been that cool in years......and years......and years.

Jan, I'm sure there's a possibility, but I gotta say that's bound to be a really low probability thing... If there's no data on it, maybe you're being overly concerned?

Isadora Duncan. It was a car, not a motorcycle, but you get the idea.

Eebie, are you a trial lawyer?

Funny, I always feel safer with my Cammelback on.

I'm thinking that it offers more protection for the spine.

With it's two straps it feels secure enough.

Eebie, are you a trial lawyer?

Aw c'mon, its interesting, tragic and romantic!

Quinn, remember the clips that people wore on their bell-bottoms to keep them from getting oily on the chains of the first 10-speeds? Prior to that, bikes had something called a 'chain guard'...

remember the clips that people wore on their bell-bottoms

I still have a set of those clips which I use whenever I am wearing casual pants on one of my bicycles...

edit:

Clips weren't to keep the clothes from getting oily. They were to prevent the clothes from getting caught in the chain ring!

Archived