IGNORED

Shopping online for tires?

KMG_365

It pays to shop around! :thumbsup:

A year or so ago I ended up buying four Pilot Roads from www.MotoSport.com because they were cheaper than www.SWMotoTires.com (or they had the PR's in stock where SWMT did not and the PR2's were quite a bit more IIRC). After the trip to the UnRally and with Torrey coming up I need more tires again. This time I found that SWMoto had the PR's and was over $40.00 cheaper than MotoSport (four tires). Cool. :Cool:

BUT--a little searching online for a coupon code for SW MotoTires led me eventually to www.AmericanMotoTire.com which ended up being another $50.00 less than SWMT, even after having to add $22.00 for shipping (four tires). They are in AZ and I'm in CA so no tax and they ship the next day.

Check them out.

Michelin PR's two front (120/70 ZR17) and two rear (170/60 ZR 17) shipped to my door:

www.MotoSport.com : $554.96

www.SWMotoTires.com : $509.80

www.AmericanMotoTire.com : $457.54

Impressive prices for the PR2's. Not as good as my "local" internet shop for RoadSmarts, but definitely cheaper for the PR2's. It's the first time I've seen somebody beat their prices on tires - even after sales tax.

Thanks for the correction and the edit guys. Hey Matt, to clarify those are just the regular Pilot Roads (I was ordering two of each), NOT the Pilot Road 2's (MUCH pricier).

I got an email from Vaughn there and he told me the rear PR's are on national back order with a 2-4 week wait time. Bugger, I guess I'll throw in a different rear for now and wait for the PR's when they become available. Now that I've thrown Leslie's bike out there on the DB for loaning, I need at least one more rear to take both bikes to Torrey. :)

BTW, which is your local internet shop?

My local bike shop just sold me a set of Mettzler ME880's for $330 CDN (300.00 USD) (plus tax, of course). AmericanMotoTire wants $320. I guess I got a good deal!

That is Levesque Recreation in Saint John, NB Canada.

No affiliation.

Jamie,

I have had great luck riding the Pirelli Diablo Stradas on my 1100RT. I don't know if they have them in your sizes, but I've been getting them for about $225/pair shipped to FL from motorcycle super store. They're good for around 8500-9K or better from what I have found so far.

BTW, which is your local internet shop?
Moto X Outlet

Unfortunately, they're not as "local" as they once were. They were around 2.5 miles from my house. However, they needed a bigger store, so now they're 19 miles. :(

The problem is when they charge shipping, so if you can't just go pick them up, they're often pretty much inline with everybody else's pricing for tires. However, they are offering Dunlops with free shipping to the lower 48 at the moment, so they do have pretty much the best price on RoadSmarts in the r1200 sizes at the moment.

The PR's are $555.89 in your size(s) after tax for 2 of them in those sizes. Not bad, but it's also nice to just be able to ride over there and pick them up...

I've mentioned it before, but for an "internet" retailer, they're incredibly service oriented. The owner spent around an hour (it was a while ago, so I can't remember how long exactly, but she tried on over 20 helmets with many different cheek pad combos) with Amy helping her find a helmet that really fit her. (Ended up being an Arai Quantum II in medium with large cheek pads.)

The PR's are $555.89....

I sure hope that's a typo. For my 1200RT, I paid $337 for both with the rear being the "B" variant (more $$$) from e-mototires.com

I find that emototires.com have the best prices by far. It is actually Ironhorse BMW in Tucson that opened the internet site to compete with SWmototires after the local Honda dealer bought SW.

I have used American Moto Tire for all my tires for the past 4 years. Their prices are fair, their shipping is fast and their service is commendable. This is one case where I dont realyl even shop tire prices anymore. Unless/until they become clearly uncompetitive I will stay loyal.

JT

I have used American Moto Tire for all my tires for the past 4 years. Their prices are fair, their shipping is fast and their service is commendable. This is one case where I dont realyl even shop tire prices anymore. Unless/until they become clearly uncompetitive I will stay loyal.

JT

Well, here's an update: American Moto Tire just lost my business. Their website lets you order out of stock tires. Yes, they email you and tell you they're out of stock, but they refuse to list a phone number and won't call you to discuss alternatives. You've got to do everything by email. I ordered two PR fronts and two PR rears. They emailed me that the PR rears were on National back order and did I want to make another choice (they recommended the Metzler Z6's), but they'd be closing soon so they'd answer my email first thing the the morning.

Now in my many miles of SportTouring with others, I've stopped for at least two riders in Lost Wages, NV who were desperate to find a replacement for their Z6 now showing cords that "looked fine" when we left Torrey, so I'm a little leery of the Z6's being too soft (for my riding style) and unpredictable in tread wear relative to the PR's I've been using without issues for, oh . . . 150,000 miles now. :dopeslap:

I told him I only need one rear ASAP (for Torrey) so send me one PR2 rear (with the PR fronts I'd already ordered) and I'll wait until the rear PR's come in to ship them later. He emails me back well after lunch and says he changed the whole order--all four tires--to PR2's (for an additional $100.00, mind you) and will ship them out ASAP. Whoa, NOT so fast there, buddy. I email him back and say I DON'T want all PR2's just the one rear PR2, to not ship them and to call my cell when he gets this to sort it out. No call. I check my email an hour later and there's an email canceling my order and telling me to re-order through their website to avoid confusion. Well that's the whole problem to begin with isn't it? Your website lets me order things that are not in stock! :P

Funk dat. I called Motorcycle Superstore at the toll free number they list on their website, a friendly girl answers the phone. I ask if they have the PR's I'm looking for in stock, she very quickly says they've got three rears and two fronts. Their prices are $497.96 shipped (no tax) for all four tires--GREAT! (I was so excited I forgot to ask for the coupon code! :Crazy: )

I understand doing business over the web to save time and overhead, but if you've only got a primitive website that allows customers to order out of stock items, you list no phone number to handle discrepancies and you refuse to call to settle said discrepancies in a timely manner, well I'm out. I'd rather pay a surcharge to talk to a real, helpful, competent person and know I'm getting what I ordered. My time is worth something (or so I'd like to think) and just the frustration of not being able to contact American any other way (other than email) eliminates them from consideration. I notice that emoto aka Ironhorse is the same way.

I remember talking with the previous owner of SW MotoTires when they were still in New Mexico and him mentioning that they didn't "advertise" a phone number on their website as they were a "mom and pop" type business and they wound up spending too many hours on the phone with complete doofuses who didn't know what they wanted, claimed they didn't order what they were shipped and refusing to pay, etc. I can certainly understand that, but when there was a problem with one of my orders or availability, they contacted me by phone to sort it out ASAP. The guy was always very nice and knew his business and product backwards and forwards. There has to be a happy medium in this new faceless world of internet commerce--and I think I found it at the www.Motorcycle-superstore.com so thanks for all the input everyone! :thumbsup:

I'll second Motorcycle Superstore. E-Moto is usually my first choice for tires but MS is a close second as their prices are good and they have both a very professional website that is actually clear and helpful and if that doesn't work REAL, LIVE CUSTOMER SUPPORT on an ACTUAL TELEPHONE :grin:. If the order isn't cut-and-dried and I think that I might need any assistance I go with MS as my first choice, although their web site actually works so well you don't need to call. Good prices (usually within a few percent of the no-frills sites), no tax, free shipping above $75 (including tires), great phone support... never had a bad experience with them.

There has to be a happy medium in this new faceless world of internet commerce--and I think I found it at the www.Motorcycle-superstore.com so thanks for all the input everyone! :thumbsup:

Glad you found success there Jamie, they've been really good to me!

The PR's are $555.89....

I sure hope that's a typo. For my 1200RT, I paid $337 for both with the rear being the "B" variant (more $$$) from e-mototires.com

Is that for 4 tires or for 2? If you read Jamie's post, he's talking 4 tires.

The PR's are $555.89....

Is that for 4 tires or for 2? If you read Jamie's post, he's talking 4 tires.

Thanks. Prs vs. PR2s also. Time for my remedial reading class......

Archived