IGNORED

Changing your own tires

Eric the Blue

I know this issue has been well covered in older threads, but I have a new questions for those of you who use the HF/Mojo Bar setup... Like all of you, I'm looking to save a bit of money by changing my own tires. The problem is that I have some arthritis in my fingers and thumbs that precludes me from putting much pressure on anything with said digits (unless I want to endure several weeks of lingering pain). Does it take a bit of finger pressure to change a motorcycle tire using the HF setup? I've had to stop changing my own bicycle tires and I'm afraid this will take at least the same amount of finger pressure, if not more. I'd love to hear from those of you that are experienced DIY tire changers.

More like hand/palm intensive. Fingers not so much. But you will be gripping a bar and you might want to hold it tightly. Oh! and if you plan to change many tires use the Nomar set up. Maybe someone on the board with a setup lives near you and you can try before you buy.

You could do what we did here in the Tampa area. One guy with a great air-conditioned garage stores the HF changer and Mojo Bar and Blocks. The expense of that is shared by a few nearby fellow riders. When tire changing needs to be done, the tires are shipped to his place and a few of us get together for laughs, coffee and rubber removal and re-installation. If you have hand weakness issues, one of the other guys could do the brute-work. I love to watch as the garage owner takes over and performs the most challenging tasks on my tires.

Eric, I have a R12RT and usually install Continental Road Attacks C (have stiffer sidewall, recommended for BMW). I have used my HF/Mojo Bar combo. Tough job but doable for me. I usually have to stop to allow the fustration die down at least once. Pretty sore the following day.

LimeCreek assisted me in changing tires a couple of nights ago using his NoMar. LimeCreek noted that the rear was the one of the most difficult tires that he had changed.

NoMar vs. HF? You get what you pay for...

Buckster

I have the HF/Mojo set up and change all my own tires. I alos frequently change/repair tubes on my mountain bike so I understand that your fingers are important "tools" when changing bike tire/tube.

My suggestions would be:

1. Find someone close by who has one and try it out. (I'd be glad to let you use my setup if you want to take a ride down my way.)

2. Spend the money and save yourself the pain.

I have the HF/Mojo set up and change all my own tires. I alos frequently change/repair tubes on my mountain bike so I understand that your fingers are important "tools" when changing bike tire/tube.

My suggestions would be:

1. Find someone close by who has one and try it out. (I'd be glad to let you use my setup if you want to take a ride down my way.)

2. Spend the money and save yourself the pain.

#2 wasn't very clear. It should have said Spend the money to have tires mounted and save yourself the pain.

John Ranalletta

Mine works great...but, it helps to mount the stand to a platform. I used chipcore. I stand on the platform while applying force to the tire/rim.

Even so, I usually spoon the tires on/off rather than use the bar.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate all the feedback. I think I'll stay away from changng tires (at least until I try it with someone else first).

--Eric

You guys in Tampa must have a spethial club.

Yes. We leave the dirty minds to the guys in Jacksonville. :rofl:

You say that like it's a bad thing?

I know this issue has been well covered in older threads, but I have a new questions for those of you who use the HF/Mojo Bar setup... Like all of you, I'm looking to save a bit of money by changing my own tires. The problem is that I have some arthritis in my fingers and thumbs that precludes me from putting much pressure on anything with said digits (unless I want to endure several weeks of lingering pain). Does it take a bit of finger pressure to change a motorcycle tire using the HF setup? I've had to stop changing my own bicycle tires and I'm afraid this will take at least the same amount of finger pressure, if not more. I'd love to hear from those of you that are experienced DIY tire changers.

I ended up the the Cycle Hill changer and saved about $300 over a No-Mar. It uses many of No-Mar's components. Breaking the bead is done on the ground as opposed to up on the changer but besides that they're pretty much the same.

http://www.cyclehilltirechanger.com/?gclid=CNaGkIWQkp0CFRBbagods2oN_A

3 more tire changes and this baby is paid for.

when I'm doing tires alone I will often take a tie down strap and when I first set both beads I'll use the strap to hold them into the center of the rim.

Since I've been using Danny's set up it's a whole lot easier when we're both doing it...

Archived