IGNORED

Bluetooth headphone adapter for iPod?

Eric S

I am trying to come up with a solution for using my iPod with my in-ear monitors while having the actual iPod up on a mount. I don't want the iPod out there to fiddle with while riding - I have the Monster Cable ipod remote which works great. What I'd like to do is not have to have the iPod in my jacket pocket so if I do stop it's easy to just be able to operate the iPod without digging the whole thing out.

With the Monster Cable iPod remote, if you press pause and the iPod goes into the screen lock, you have to unlock the screen to start it up again. Turning OFF the screen lock on the iPod will keep the screen on and drain the battery much quicker. If it's in my jacket pocket then I don't have it connected to power.

Ideally I'd like a bluetooth adapter that I can plug my IEM's to (1/8" jack on the IEMs plugged into the adapter). Then have a bluetooth receiver on the iPod. I have yet to find anything that does this. I have a 2nd Gen iPod touch.

Or has any electro-geek here tried to bastardize a set of bluetooth stereo headphones and make their own adapter?

The 2nd Gen Touch supports AD2P (high definition stereo) Bluetooth natively (has internal chipset) so all you need is a receiver dongle. I found something that almost worked for me at Fry's, a small receiver dongle with a stereo mini-jack output and remote control buttons on the side. It paired with my Touch and the audio quality was excellent, not sure I could distinguish it from a hardwired connection. The only thing that got in the way (for me) was that I use a Scosche RF remote and there was an issue with the Bluetooth dongle taking control of the volume setting when I would rather have that controlled by the RF remote (since I have it perfectly located right at the left grip.) Plus whatever Bluetooth unit you get will be just one more thing to keep charged, etc. But a complete wireless solution is attractive so maybe I'll go Bluetooth one of these days, don't know...

I'll try to see if I can figure out the brand of the unit I found at Fry's and if I can figure it out I'll post it, but just about any AD2P Bluetooth audio receiver should be compatible with the Touch. If anybody has any others to recommend I'd like to hear about them too.

Thanks for that JR356.

Doing a little more homework I see now that I need to upgrade the iPod software to get the bluetooth capability. The musings prior to that was the bluetooth chip was for the Nike+ system.

This is what I read:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/03/17/2g-ipod-touch-to-have-bluetooth-capability-unlocked-by-iphone-os/

I just bought a motorola S9 bluetooth stereo headset for my ipod. Synced without a problem and the sound is great. $40 at amazon.com

You don't need a bluetooth dongle for these either. However, the 2nd Gen ipod is the only one with bluetooth, and it is only compatible with A2DP bluetooth, which the S9 is.

Archived