IGNORED

Atlanta Area Tech Daze - Oct. 31

Chris K

I will be running up to ATL BMW on Saturday morning. If anyone needs me to pick up parts or supplies for them let me know via PM or e-mail.

The long range forcast is calling for a beautiful sunny day for the 31tst!

Haven't seen you guys in forever, and never made it to one of your tech days, but Saturday is day one of our trip to Miami and the Keys, and ATL isn't in the route! And boy do I need some electrical help...no idea what a relay is, or why there are three of them on my bike, or why my autocom makes a different noise every time I start her up!

Have fun. Cheers! CP

Chris, it has been a long time, enjoy your trip to the Keys! Randy and I do this the first weekend on Nov. every year.

Selden, breakfast and lunch will be provided. Ten bucks a head should cover everything. The bad news is, Tom is visiting his daughter in Germany and is not available to cook lunch for us. So it is just burgers and brats this year.

How is the Autocom powered?

Post some info and you'll get the solution.

Could need to move wire, use an isolator, whatever, ususally a simple fix.

Have a good trip.

Lone_RT_rider
I'm in. Should roll in mid-morning from Perry/Middle GA.

I'll be the guy in purple and gold!

Hutch

I'm out. I thought I was going to be able to make it back from China in time, but now I am stuck in Houston for the night thanks to storms. I just wont have enough time to make it happen. Y'all have fun!

Shawn

I'm in. Should roll in mid-morning from Perry/Middle GA.

I'll be the guy in purple and gold!

Hutch

I'm out. I thought I was going to be able to make it back from China in time, but now I am stuck in Houston for the night thanks to storms. I just wont have enough time to make it happen. Y'all have fun!

Shawn

My valves will miss you big guy :dopeslap:

What are you talking about, Atlanta is on the way from Houston to Greenville! You will be missed Shaw.

Sorry about waking you up in the middle of the night, I was just looking for the mini-stan and thought you had been home by now.

Lone_RT_rider
What are you talking about, Atlanta is on the way from Houston to Greenville! You will be missed Shaw.

Sorry about waking you up in the middle of the night, I was just looking for the mini-stan and thought you had been home by now.

Yep, I still have it. You should have sent me a PM. I could have had Rainy send it UPS. Now there isn't time. :( Sorry man.

Shawn

It makes it easier to lift the tank off the bike and work with the less gas it has. That said I have done this on bikes with more than half a tank of gas with no problems.

I have realized too late that my Mini-Stan for servicing servo brakes is still out on loan. If anyone attending tomorrow could bring one that would be a great help.

Even someone in the Atlanta area not attending but willing to loan it to us, I will be willing to come and pick it up.

Chris,

I found my dusty one in the garage that I had for my 02 RT. It has the cap that says "34 2 541" on it. Will that work?

If Steve Kraynak is heading down, I can try to meet up and give it him. Email or call since I probably won't be checking back in today.

Turn out was down a little, probably due to football and light rain. I accomplished four of my five tasks (new tires, bleed brakes from the bleeders in front of the battery, replace clutch cable, change fuel filter). Chris advised that replacing the throttle cables would require more time than we had available.

My return trip was a little more adventuresome than anticipated. Leaving around 3:30, I did a mirror check, and noticed no left side case, so I prepared to stop and turn around. No rear brake. Back in the garage, we fairly quickly resolved both matters.

A mile away, on Oxford's main drag, the engine started to sputter and, looking down, I noticed fuel spewing. Fortunately, I was near an abandoned gas station, so I pulled the right side body work and discovered I had not fully secured the clip for the fuel line going to the right throttle body. Chris pulled up just as I was finishing up, and I explained what happened. He followed me a block to a gas station, to be sure I made it (zero bars showing on the RID).

After taking on 6.5 gallons of fuel, I hit I-20 west, and noticed that the bike seemed to be exceptionally wobbly fin the slipstream of a large truck. It still seemed squirrelly after I passed the truck, so I pulled off at the next exit. Only 13 psi in the rear tire. No obvious puncture (5 miles would have set a record ruining a brand new tire), so I pumped it up to 45 psi, and proceeded on to Covington, where I pulled off to pick up some valve stem caps at a Walmart (DON'T ever got to a Walmart at 5:00 p.m. on Halloween). Checked rear pressure again: 41.5 psi.

Ten more miles, and I pulled off again for another check: 37.5 psi. Thank goodness for portable electric air pumps. Pumped it up again, and made it the remaining 20 miles to home without incident. 36.5 psi when I arrived; zero psi this morning. Soapy water reveals that it's the fancy new 45-degree valve stem, which has a metal base; I'm guessing that there is just enough interference with the center ridge of the wheel, preventing a complete seal. Randy? Chris? Fortunately, I no longer have regular working hours, so I can pull the wheel and do the job any time. I'm tempted to take a Dremel grinder to the edge of the base of the valve stem.

Good trip back to Perry with no challenges at all. I think Sleden got them all. A little rain once back in the Macon area but NBD.

Thanks to all of you who helped with my bulbs and brake bleeds. I think (think!) I could do most of it next time with just minor assistance maybe.

And a big thanks to Chris and Randy for hosting. Very greatly appreciated. Perfect facility.

It really is a wonderful facility for a tech day, although someone (not one of us) broke the foot pedal for Chris's lift. Plenty of room, good light, plus a break room. I haven't been to a tech day elsewhere, but it's hard to imagine a better equipped facility. Thanks to Chris for providing it, to Randy for tire changing duties, and to all the oldtimers (of whatever age) who share their knowledge so freely.

Best line of the day:

"Your 'Stich is outside getting wet."

"That's OK, it's waterproof, and it needs washing anyway."

Thanks to Chris and Randy for a great tech daze. Great place, good food and a wealth of knowledge/experience shared. Look forward to nest year.

Ken

Thanks again Chris and Randy. Chris makes everything look easy. Under 30 seconds to figure out my problem without taking the bike out of the trailer.

Been trying to upload pics to dotphoto and lost them somewhere on my c: drive; will try tomorrow at the office.

Why does everything have to be such a slow learning experience.

Sure glad my drive (: back home was less eventful than Seldens'.

P.M. Have photographic evidence that Joel is the new go to guy for tire changing and John for valve adjustments.

Dean

Stayed home and did Halloween with my granddaughter. Chris always schedules this event at a bad time (for me) but I did have a tech day at home. I replaced the grips on my golf clubs. :wave:

You were missed Rich. You retired guys are so busy that there never is a good time for you!

We usually do it on the first Sat. in November but bumped it up so we could do a track day on the 7th.

Morning Selden,

Try this

dthorntondc.dotphoto.com and it should allow you to click on albums without using a password.

Let me know. Still trying to learn all this fancy technology.

Dean

I'm sad I didn't get to see you guys this year. I think this is the first one I have missed in 4 or 5 years. Already looking forward to next year...

Seldon - sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to see that I'm not the only one. Seems like the only problems I ever have with my bikes occur after I work on them. :)

BTW - A few years ago I had a flat tire about 1/4 mile after putting on new ones. Not a happy day.

I'm sad I didn't get to see you guys this year. I think this is the first one I have missed in 4 or 5 years. Already looking forward to next year...

Seldon - sorry to hear about your troubles, but glad to see that I'm not the only one. Seems like the only problems I ever have with my bikes occur after I work on them. :)

BTW - A few years ago I had a flat tire about 1/4 mile after putting on new ones. Not a happy day.

Everything worked out. I took the rear wheel over to Randy's Monday night, and we replaced the angled metal valve stem with a straight rubber one.

Changing the fuel filter 24,000 miles from now is not something I look forward to -- what an unnecessary PITA. My old clutch cable was in pretty good shape, so now I have a serviceable spare if I go on a long, long ride. With a palm ratchet and a cut-down deep 13mm socket, clutch adjustment is no longer mysterious or difficult. Based on the condition of the clutch cable, I'm not going to tackle the throttle cables until I have some real time on my hands.

I enjoyed tech day, too. Even though my bike just took up space.

I got back just in time for Halloween, even though I rode through the rain for many miles.

Chris, thanks for having us again.

Very true Selden. I thought were dressed for the part. Kept expecting you to start running the show.

Did you run the slide show?

Dean

Dean and the boys are far too good to me. I am currently climbing out of the trouble from getting home an hour and half late from the adventure. . .but I did snake the drain in the kitchen and that helped my standing in my darlings eyes.

Thanks so much for the perceptions and stand around support.

Bernie, the bike never sounded so good. i like the valves a little sticky.

Stop by anytime you are in Atlanta! Would love to have you all over!

Glad to hear the bike is running good.

Just tell her about all the money you saved servicing the bike your self, you may have to take her out for a nice dinner to prove it. :wave:

Archived