IGNORED

Is there such a thing as a communicator that DOESNT require

FLrider

that you hook into a radio or have to run complicated wiring?

I would like to have two helmet headsets that allow my wife and I to communicate. I would prefer that these be easily removable when not wanted. I would prefer something that allows us to talk or hear each other without having to press buttons to activate conversation.

Maybe I am asking for too much.

First question is if your wife is riding pillion or on a different bike? If riding pillion, any autocom will do that using VOX. IF she is on another bike, then you each need an autocom and an fRS radio. With those configured through the VOX, no button pushes are required.

+1 on the Scala Rider Q2 Multiset. We have them a like them a lot. Very simple to install and to use. Shop around a bit - the price seems to vary a LOT between sellers. But several places sell the set for around $240.

If you only are riding 2-up and not on separate bikes, you may be able to use the Scala Rider "teamset". But I haven't tried them.

We have a high quality and performance rider bike to bike PTT system http://www.autocom.co.uk/PDF/KitBike_to_Bike.pdf as used by hundreds of professional instructors at rider training and racing schools, plus police etc, or we have a bang upto date portable or bike bowered voice activated (VOX)systems which provide ultra high quality and performance hands free use. I would suggest you start by looking at our Logic VOX system http://www.autocom.co.uk

Autocom UK Tom

OK. You guys nailed it for me. I was referring to a two up, driver / passenger system and it appears that the scala or camos system is the most popular cost effective system.

I still don't get that blue tooth stuff. I don't understand how we communicate to each other through our cell phones and a blue tooth headset, WITHOUT actually calling each other. I understand how a bluetooth headset works when ON a call, but not the other way.

Anyway, in looking at the Scala site, I see there is a "Teamset" and the Rider2 multiset. Not sure what the difference is but I will check it out.

Second, has anyone actually used one of these and found them to be worthwhile? Can you actually communicate without screaming? Can you hear well through the earpiece?

You don't call each other with your cell phones - the "system" just connects the headsets together thru blutooth, so you don't need wires.

At least, that's how I think it works :S (I didn't stay at a holiday inn last night :dopeslap:)

Good luck with your search.

OK. You guys nailed it for me. I was referring to a two up, driver / passenger system and it appears that the scala or camos system is the most popular cost effective system.

I still don't get that blue tooth stuff. I don't understand how we communicate to each other through our cell phones and a blue tooth headset, WITHOUT actually calling each other. I understand how a bluetooth headset works when ON a call, but not the other way.

Anyway, in looking at the Scala site, I see there is a "Teamset" and the Rider2 multiset. Not sure what the difference is but I will check it out.

Second, has anyone actually used one of these and found them to be worthwhile? Can you actually communicate without screaming? Can you hear well through the earpiece?

I have the Scala Teamset and am currently looking to go back to Autocom, but that is for some very specific reasons.

The Teamset works very well as rider/passenger intercom. It is clear once the vox is operated and the range is about 50 feet.

The rider unit also works well coupled to my Zumo, and when talking to my son over a cell-phone coupled to the Zumo he did not believe I was on my bike.

The batteries in the headset last all day, even on extended tours. I charge them overnight by plugging the DC charger into a cigar lighter socket in my glvebox.

Why am I changing? The unit will not fit some helmets - a Schuberth C2 for instance.

The vox can be a problem unless the mike is in exactly the right place.

When riding two-up and talking to my wife, should the Zumo send audio it overrides the intercom connection, cutting us off. It then takes 10 seconds before it allows a re-connect. Very, very irritating, especially as I have a speed-camera warning database on the Xumo so interrpts come every couple of minutes on some UK roads.

If I get an incomming cell-phone call, the teamset drops the Zumo connection 10 seconds after the call ends.

My helemt mount has broken - the securing clip does not work but this does not seem to affect operation.

The units are not water-proof, despite being made for motorcycles. You need to remove them in anything above light rain. :eek:

Oh, and the system is mono, so no stereo tunes if that is important to you.

If you can live with these irritations, the teamset is a good piece of kit. I love the wire-free setup. No wires at all - completely wireless comms is delightfully liberating - it is just the few glitches caused by the softwar implimentation on the teamset that bugs me.

FWIW my set is a couple of years old and there have been a few revisions since then, so some of my gripes may be out of date.

Andy

FLrider, from what I can tell, the "teamset" is essentially the same as the "rider Q2 multiset" except that it is not as powerful. So you can't use it for bike to bike because it has a much smaller range (up to 50 ft?).

My wife and I use the Q2 multiset for bike to bike, and like it a lot. We can hear each other quite well, even with ear plugs in. The headsets come already paired with each other, so the headsets just communicate directly with each other (not through a phone). My wife does also have a phone with bluetooth, and has paired her headset with it, which wasn't too hard to do, following the instructions that come with the set. When a call comes in on her phone, her headset switches to communicate with it, and I can no longer communicate with her until the phone call is ended and her headset switches back. We don't use the built-in FM radio or the music (MP3 connection on the unit), so I can't comment on the stereo/mono/quality/battery life features when listening to music.

But if you just want to talk to each other, an possibly connect to a phone, it works quite well. The connection between the headsets goes into "standby" mode after 30 seconds, so it doesn't waste battery life. To start communicating again, you have to say something (like "check!", or blow on the mic, which is what I do), and wait a second for the connection to open again before you start talking. It takes a little getting used to at first.

I can't vouch for the teamset, but I assume it would work just as well as a 2-up intercom. But comm systems seem to a matter of preference, so you might have to go through a couple of systems before you find one that you really like.

AdirondackJack

Dear Mr. FLrider: Please don't cheat yourself by failing to take a good look at the "from very simple to very extensive" communications gear offered by AutoComm. Been riding these 2-wheeled machines for over 45 years, I teach motorcycle safety, and I only discovered AutoComm 5 years ago. They are doubtless the best communicators I have ever used. . . .bar none ( and I have used them all ). Check out AutoComm!!

Conclusions so far: Q2 has FM and MP3 capability, Teamset does not.

Q2 does bike to bike well, Teamset has limited bike to bike capacity.

Q2 allows either party to initiate or be on a call. Teamset, only allows one party to be on a call at a time.

Talk times are about the same.

I don't care about making or receiving calls. In fact, prefer not to.

MP3 capability might be nice for my wife. I prefer silence.

I know...I know...then why would I get a communicator ? It's better than having to figure out what she is screaming at me for. ;)

Usually it's something like "Slow Down!!"

And since I've seen a few posts on Autocom, I get I should look at those but, for the money, Scala Q2 seems to be the right solution at the right price point.

Thanks for all the input.

The connection between the headsets goes into "standby" mode after 30 seconds, so it doesn't waste battery life. To start communicating again, you have to say something (like "check!", or blow on the mic, which is what I do), and wait a second for the connection to open again before you .

Speaking of battery life, the literature says 8 hours. Have you found that to be remotely true during average use?

Well, I guess that really depends on what you consider "average use". I have heard reports that people who listen to an MP3 player constantly find that the battery life is not always a full 8 hours.

However, we just use it to communicate, which means that it is going to standby mode roughly half the time (or maybe a bit more) while we are riding. Using it that way, we usually go on three or four weekend 1/2 day rides before we recharge the units. Only once did we let it run all the way down, and that was after about 4 trips.

We don't ride nearly as long or as far as many, but since we bought them in early July, we have taken lots of weekend rides and have only recharged them about 3 or 4 times.

So is it 8 hours? I'm not really sure. But we have been very happy with the battery life for the type of riding (and communicating) that we do.

The connection between the headsets goes into "standby" mode after 30 seconds, so it doesn't waste battery life. To start communicating again, you have to say something (like "check!", or blow on the mic, which is what I do), and wait a second for the connection to open again before you .

Speaking of battery life, the literature says 8 hours. Have you found that to be remotely true during average use?

Our Teamset batteries last for 10-hour or longer days using chat + satnav. We turn them off for lunch-stops etc. I charge them off of the bikes battery overnight when on a trip.

Andy

Just returned from an 11 day trip last week using the Q2 Multiset. I'll never take another trip without it.

R1200RT. 3/4 Nolan helmets. Little Woman riding pillion. Purchased primarily for rider to pillion communication.

Configuration: Rider to Pillion intercom via bluetooth (no wires required). Plugged into a Nuvi 770 with the optional (provided with the unit) hardwire cable and using the media player of the GPS for tunes and turn by turn instructions. Downside - All intercom use overrides all GPS and tunes input when connected this way. Had to shut off the intercom when I needed to hear the GPS. Pillion was also hooked with the optional cable to an iPod in her pocket. Yes, this unit will connect via bluetooth to a GPS cable of bluetooth also but I chose to use the hard wire approach in order to have stereo from the media player portion of the GPS (Yes, it is stereo with the cable, just not with the bluetooth).

Battery Life - Awesome! Talking to pillion 30% of the time, listening to GPS / tunes the rest of the time. 12 hours is not a problem!! Did 450 miles the first day with no problem. Have left it running on the kitchen table after a day ride until 10:00 that night and it was still running just fine.

VOX - Not so happy with this. Wind noise from the 3/4 helmets activates the VOX way too often. Simple procedure to turn this feature off and use the "button" on the side of the unit when we want to activate the intercom. Not an inconvenience at all once you get used to it. Easy to do even with gloves on.

Volume - Unit has a volume control. Note that it only controls volume of Bluetooth input (intercom) and NOT of the iPod or GPS that is hooked directly via the cable (if you choose to use this). You need to control the volume from those devices remotely if you are hard wired like we were. Is there enough volume? ABSOLUTELY!! We found that placement of the ear speakers is critical with a move of 1/4" in the location of the ear speakers making the difference between good and not good. The speakers need to TOUCH your ears. Once you achieve this (if necessary, use foam "spacers" to bring the speakers closer to your ears) then you will have all the volume you need. We had to remind one another often to not speak too loudly.

Stability - Acceptable. Had 2 or 3 instances where it was necessary to stop and then restart the units to remove "glitches" and get full functionality. Sort of like "rebooting" a computer.

Bike to Bike - This unit is capable of this. You can talk to two "buddies" with this system. Your pillion on the back as your primary buddy, and then the rider on another bike as a secondary buddy if you want. They claim 1640 feet with a clear field of view but since we did not have this set up I cannot vouch for it.

Cell Phone - Had it paired to my iPhone via Bluetooth. On our trip, one couple traveled by truck due to recent medical constraints. When there was cell phone service available, they were able to communicate with us on the bike by calling my cell phone. Turned out to be very handy in this situation.

So, we are very pleased with these units. No, it's not an Autocom and is not as feature rich as an Autocom. But if you are interested in mainly rider to pillion communication, these units are hard to beat both for price and useability.

I've tried the Cardo Systems as well as the Benchmark, but wasn't satisfied. I finally ended up with the Chatterbox XBi (now XBi2). It'll do rider/passenger communications wirelessly. The new XBi2 also handles bike to bike ranges. If you choose to, they also connect to your phone and/or MP3 player using Bluetooth.

My 2 cents. Got the Chatterbox XBI2 and it works great. Super easy, all bluetooth with an option to plug an audio device in if it isn't blue tooth. Great battery life, pairs everytime, basically it works as advertised. Would not take a trip to the local store without it.

Yammer

Just how much of a pain is it to be wired to the bike? Do you really get that many more features or quality of sound with units that are connected to the bike?

There are plenty of others here who do a whole lot more with their comm systems than I do, so they will have to chime in regarding the connectivity and features of wired systems vs. bluetooth systems.

We had a wired Autocom system when we were riding 2-up, and the sound quality for communicating was really good. I can't comment on the stereo quality for listening to music, etc., but from what others have said, it is very good.

Dealing with the wires every time we got on and off the bike was a little annoying, but not a huge deal. We got used to it. However, I did occasionally get "caught" on them, or end up sitting a wire, which was annoying. And there were several incidents where I wanted to turn my head but had trouble because the wire was caught on something or someone.

I really like not having wires any more. The Scala systems are very small and light. For our purposes, they fit the bill very nicely. But as I mentioned before, which comm system to use seems to be a very personal decision, and you may just have to try on and see what you think.

Is there such a thing as a communicator that DOESNT requirethat you hook into a radio or have to run complicated wiring?

Shouting.

:rofl:

:/

Sign Language.

Just used the Cardo Scala Teamset and thought it was great, no cables no wind noise and easy to set up whats not to like and got it from Amazon for approx $160.00. Only wanted to have rider to pillion communication

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I wound up buying the Scala Q2 multiset a week or so back. Got it on Ebay for $220. Seemed like a good deal. Attached to a Shoei full face.

Anyway, I must say I am very impressed with this unit. I called a few friends and my wife while running 70 mph on the interstate and 1) I could hear them perfectly and 2) they swore they could not tell I was not on a land line. They all indicated no background or wind noise.

Next, had my wife on the back and we talked while on a short trip around town. I could hear her and she could hear me clearly. There was no loss of words while the vox kicked in. The only thing I did notice was that I could hear wind noise occasionally. She wears a full face also, but with no shield.

She said that she could her no wind noise from my mic. I noticed that there is less distance between mt chin and the chin guard on my helmet than she had in hers. Maybe that space creates more noise.

I had her play with the positioning of the mic but the only thing that helped is if she positioned her head directly behind mind. Blocked wind = no noise.

The solution was as suggested by Double Deez. Tap the mic button and it's all nice and quiet until someone speaks. An alternative solution is to turn the FM stereo on while riding. That delivers music instead of noise and if the pillion starts talking, the FM mutes until she stops talking for about 30 seconds. I didn't get to hear too many songs.

I can't speak to the GPS issue because my GPS is not bluetooth. I've got the nuvi 550 and I suppose that someday I'll get around to selling the 550 and buying a bluetooth compatible gps. I do like the idea of being able to hear the turn by turn instructions in addition to seeing them.

All in all, I think the Scala Q2 multi is a great product. I like the ease of operation, the light weight and the quality of the audio and mic.

As far as battery life goes, I don't know yet. Our ride was only 3 hours total and they worked fine.

Nice n Easy Rider
The solution was as suggested by Double Deez. Tap the mic button and it's all nice and quiet until someone speaks. An alternative solution is to turn the FM stereo on while riding. That delivers music instead of noise and if the pillion starts talking, the FM mutes until she stops talking for about 30 seconds. I didn't get to hear too many songs.

Hope she doesn't read your posts. :D

Aerostich used to sell a vinyl tubing set. Two tubes, one goes from your mouth to the pillion's ear, and the other vise versa. Something like the old string-tin can phone you had as a kid. Very simple, very cheap, no batteries, full duplex. Probably worked pretty good (considering the price).

I have no idea who made it, but you could build your own pretty easily for just a few bucks.

I have been using the IMC Camos units for some time now, and have heard good things about the Cardo systems Teamset, Q2, and now I see they have an even newer Q4 with range above a mile for bike-to-bike without FRS radios needed.

All of these systems use bluetooth to connect/communicate, and do not require cell phones for rider/passenger communication.

They do allow the connection of cellphones in addition to rider/passenger communication. In the case of the Camos units (and now the Cardo), they also support additional connectivity to additional bluetooth devices. For instance, on the Camos BTS series, you can connect to another BTS, and a cell phone, and a Garmin GPS (with bluetooth) all at the same time.

As I said, I have been using the IMC Camos units, starting with the (now discontinued) BHS 600. When the BTS series came out, I switched to those for a number of reasons, one of which was the increased range (up to 500 meters).

Now the sticky part. My wife and I have had very frustrating results with this technology. The Camos units themselves are very good quality, full stereo, robust, water-proof, and offer terrific sound quality - BUT... I've come to the conclusion that bluetooth technology just is not up to the task for this purpose.

Here are the problems with this technology:

1.) When dealing with multiple bluetooth connections, you must be very mindful of which order the units are turned on. Otherwise they try to connect with the wrong device. Here's my setup... Samsung Blackjack2 BT to Garmin Zumo 550, iRevo plugged into the Zumo audio output (for stereo BT), iRevo BT to rider BTS-300, rider BTS-300 BT to passenger BTS200, passenger BTS-200 BT to passengers Blackjack2. Altogether there are 5 units communicating back and forth on 6 bluetooth channels. This is absolutlely un-manageable!

2.) If you try to connect even one set of units (iRevo to BTS-300), in a bluetooth-rich environment - you'll have about 20% chance of success (like at a gas station, hotel parking lot, BMW ralley, side of the road anywhere in the city limits, etc.) To get all 6 bluetooth channels working correctly in such an environment is next to impossible.

3.) While talking rider-to-passenger for too long, the cell phones drop the 'idle' bluetooth connection to the headset. Which means that when you do stop talking, the music won't come back.

4.) Microphone placement and wind reduction is crucial, as too much wind noise (speeds higher than 60mph on my RT w/oversized screen raised and Nolan N102 helmets) activates the VOX, until you slow down. The VOX sensitivity is adjustable on the BTS series, but we have yet to make them work properly above 60mph. This is partially my reluctance to move the microphones (which I embedded into the chin pads). You need the microphones directly in front of your mouth, and the sensitivity turned up to max to make it work I think.

5.) Keeping all this wireless (battery-powered) crap charged-up is crazy. Once charged, everything runs for about 8 hours, but you must remember to charge them after use... constantly.

I was a great fan of this new wireless gear, but now, after three years of trying to use it, I now admit the only way to go is wired. You want a system that is powered off the bike

(no charging necessary), so everytime you want to ride, it works. And you want a system that works well every time with quality sound so you can hear and no fussing. I could not count the number of times I spent 30 minutes trying to get the BT connections made just to end in frustration and without because it was 'time' to go. I have been so frustrated with it at times, it not only ruined the ride, but also prompted angry unsafe driving on my part - and if a functional Autocom system costs $1,000 - I say it's a bargain!

Find a good Autocom dealer and save yourself the grief. You put your helmet on, plug it in, start the bike and go. And that my friends will be my next purchase!

My wife and I use the Cardo Q2 Multiset and have been pretty much pleased with it.

Bought it for the intercom so everything else is gravy.

I don't connect the GPS to it (too chatty and overrides the intercom)

I don't do music when riding.

I use it as a cell phone hands-free so I can ride when I'm on-call.

My only complaints with it are:

I occasionally have a hard time getting the two sets to connect before a ride but they usually hook-up within a minute or so.

The VOX can be hard to trigger at highway speeds because the mic compensates for external noise. (I prefer to use the push button to trigger it anyway... too easy).

You know, it’s for reasons just like RiceToy (and Boffin) points out, that Autocom continues to design and build our wired systems. Sure we have proven that we can make a wireless system if we want to, and indeed we do for those that want it, but for many (including me) we prefer to just get on, plug in, and ride. No fuss, no bother, just mile after mile of smiles.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure that many are very happy with their wireless product, (I’ve tried them all) but the amount of people coming back to Autocom asking us to throw their unsatisfactory wireless product in the bin is rapidly growing, in fact we may have just have get a larger bin. No only kidding, its empted frequently!

My advice is if you are lucky enough to hear of good advice before you buy, don’t dismiss it unless you want to buy twice. That’s why forums such as this one can be invaluable, but just like any magazine, you can’t always believe everything you read, which is why Autocom insists that all our dealers provide customers with in-store demonstration for our systems, and many dealers will even let you road test our systems before you buy, as we would if you came to us.

But even with this, as you can see by this RiceToy report, will you still be happy with your purchase in a year or two’s time? I’m sure some Autocom users here can tell you how many years they’ve enjoyed using Autocom. Me I’ve had one for some 18 years and love it, in fact I’ve had loads, but then I own Autocom.

No seriously, this does highlight how different people want different things and as times change so can your perception of what you like/dislike/want, so think it through read as much as you can on forums like this, don’t be tempted to buy now on click to buy sites, go and see and try the products at your local dealer before you buy.

Autocom UK Tom

P.S. who here would trust a Bluetooth Airbag!

Well interesting comments about autocom because they have now gone wireless themselves with the Logic Independence Wireless which I have been using for the last few weeks.

Its still not perfect, you have to position the units fairly close to each other & preferably not through the rider's body to the pillion unit which the pillion puts in their front pocket. So you get good clear communication.

If the pillion gets off the bike & walks out of range it does not always reestablish as it should requiring unplug/plug procedure by both parties.

The bluetooth link to the GPS unit works quite well but could do with more volume. Using the cable from the BMW Nav III into the intercom provides too much volume (one can't win either way).

Battery life is good & the VOX works well, volume is ample at ALL speeds I have tried so that part of the intercom is great.

I would have definately got the cabled system but there was no obvious place to mount the system under the seat of the ST. No tail section to speak of on this bike that is occupied by the extended tail light.

Still all in all fairly happy if I ever get an RT the choice will be easy autocom cabled system. But for now LIW Bluetooth works for me on the ST.

Cheers Teddy

I should add that cellphone communication with the IMC Camos bluetooth units is perfect. Terrific sound quality both ways. Like some have reported with the Cardo systems - people on the other end have no idea I'm going 80mph down the road on the bike.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

Thanks for the reply. That's essentially what I did to my bluetooth head set. Cut off the speaker wires and soldered a jack from Radioshack in their place. The sould quality using bluetooth is not as good and is not stereo, but works well enough for me to sing along or use my phone and gps.

Archived