IGNORED

Question about a GPS

SC_SVRider

My Garmin StreetPilot 2610 finally died and I am looking into some replacement options. I found a Garmin Nuvi 550 GPS on line and would like to know if anyone on here has had the opportunity to use one. Funds are limited, so I am not going right out to purchase a Zumo (as much as I would like too).

Here's a Link to the one I am considering.

Oh.. and did I mention I need to order it by 2:30 today to get it for my trip to BRR?

fun fun! :thumbsup:

Any help would be appreciated.

Rainy,

I can't comment on the Nuvi, but you may want to check on Amazon. I'm seeing a price over $20 cheaper there, but your shipping options may negate it. Just thought I'd let you know. Good luck.

Tiger Direct will deliver by 4:30 tomorrow if I order it from them today. I noticed many of them wont be able to get it to me until Monday.

Thanks for checking for me Al. :)

I don't know if this would be important to you or not, but it doesn't appear that this unit has a headphone jack for voice commands. Something I use with my Navigator II. And my Nav II has started to have screen problems and doesn't appear to be serviced by Garmin any longer. So I might be looking for a new GPS soon.

I don't know if this would be important to you or not, but it doesn't appear that this unit has a headphone jack for voice commands. Something I use with my Navigator II.

Hmmm.. I didn't notice that. It's not something I use with the Garmin I have now, but definitely something to keep in mind. Thanks!

My Garmin StreetPilot 2610 finally died and I am looking into some replacement options. I found a Garmin Nuvi 550 GPS on line and would like to know if anyone on here has had the opportunity to use one. Funds are limited, so I am not going right out to purchase a Zumo (as much as I would like too).

Here's a Link to the one I am considering.

Oh.. and did I mention I need to order it by 2:30 today to get it for my trip to BRR?

fun fun! :thumbsup:

Any help would be appreciated.

try a reconditioned 2610??? if my 2610 goes bye-bye i'll be bummed.

One further thing to check is whether the Nuvi you're interested in accepts routes which you create and download from your computer. My Zumo accepts them and my SO's Nuvi(admittedly a year old) does NOT accept downloaded routes. It's not a fatal flaw against the Nuvi, but I really like planning out my routes to include certain areas/roads. While it's possible to do routes directly on the Nuvi, but it's a LOT more work IMHO.

my wife has the nuvi - is absolutely a great pnd. it locates position really fast and we like the operating system. i tried it on the bike (in the map compartment of a tank bag so it was protected from any rain and vibration) but found 4 major problems:

1. it is not "sunlight viewable" - in the car it never has much light shining directly on the screen. it was very hard to read in normal daylight on the bike

2. i couldn't hear it and had no way of connecting it to my helmet

3. it got extremely hot inside the tank bag (too hot for reliability long term) - think it is designed to work in a better ventilated environment

4. it was impossible to operate with gloves on

good news is my wife bought me a zumo to stop me borrowing the nuvi - it has none of the above issues and is just a wonderful tool - is great in the car too

It might be too late for this input, but...

I sold my 2610 with my VStrom and was looking for something to work with the RT. I looked long and hard at the Nuvi 500 and 550. I think that the 550 is the way to go, for my purposes. It may not be as flexible as the street pilot series, but it is waterproof, has battery power and does everything that I want. I think that will be the one I get for next year's season. Also, I have seen it for much cheaper than that.

Good luck.

R2d2, am not trying to be contrary here but I have a Nuvi200w and it works well for me. If I turn the brightness to 100% I can see it clearly with the sun over my shoulder and my sunglasses on. I have it on a mount and it responds easily to my finger pokes. The downside for me is that it is not waterproof but that has not been a problem (for me anyway) as I usually do not ride in the rain but if I get caught I take it off when I put my rain suit on or simply put a ziplock bag over it). No problem with vibration problems over many, many miles. Cost me $120 delivered.

I recently rented a Zumo 550 as part of a 2 week bike rental. Used it for two weeks every day. It was not $400 better than my Nuvi. Had problems creating realistic routes. As I put waypoints in to force it to take certain roads it came up with really convoluted ways of getting there. I finally gave up and just put the waypoints in as favorites and went from favorite to favorite. Also, the 550 has the small 3.5" screen while the Nuvi 200w has the 4.3" screen. The larger screen is much better IMHO. If you want a Zumo with the large screen you have to get the 660 which is mucho expensive.

Archived