IGNORED

BMW Motorrad Navigator IV

Old Bill

Firefight911

The Nav IV is nothing other than a BMW covered Garmin Zumo 660.

FYI, no XM when compared to the Zumo 550.

And if my experience with the BMW Navigator II, less support from Garmin.

Also the BMW version comes with the 4 button cradle that I don't think is included with a Zumo 660.

Firefight911
And if my experience with the BMW Navigator II, less support from Garmin.

Don't quite get a comment like that. Garmin support, for me, has been fantastic.

For really good Zumo info, I HIGHLY recommend going here - LINKY

One of our members here is a mod over there.

What model, the Nav II, or a Garmin unit. I found that updates were not equal for the Nav. 11 compared to comp. Garmin model. The Nav II isn't even listed in places on the Garmin site. And currently the Nav II will not be repaired by Garmin.

Just from my experience.

I didn't mean that Garmin support was poor, just that they do not support, in my experience, the BMW Nav. II as well as their own units.

Firefight911

The Nav. II is nothing other than the 2610 with the BMW dealership maps pre-installed.

I still have a 2610 that I bought new in '05. Let me rephrase that! I still have a Nav II that I bought in '05 when I also bought my old R1200ST. I had it warranty replaced for a delaminated screen once and have purchased update maps for it, until they stopped offering them for it last year, I believe it was.

All through Garmin, no issues or questions asked. The Nav. II / 2610 is a discontinued model and Garmin no longer supports it. Just as will be the case for the 550 and 660 in years to come once they have superseded them with newer units.

Now, back on topic. The 660 has a very nice user interface and an excellent screen. The maps are smooth in appearance and seem to flow well. This format is also updated in its view with exit signs, etc. For me though, the lack of XM would prevent me from purchasing when compared against the 550 if I were in the market.

Case in point, the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 appears to be repairable at a rate of $150.

Same page, BMW Nav II. is N/A, no longer repairable.

At least from the website.

If you know something other than this on the BMW Nav. II I would be interested since the screen on mine stopped working correctly last week. I would much rather spend $150 or $200 and have it repaired than have to purchase another.

PS. From the amount of use it received, it probably cost about $75 to $100 per use. It was never dropped or abused,so I am not very impressed with the Nav II's durability either.

Firefight911

A summary of the BMW - Garmin "differences.

First off, both units, whether a "Nav" or a Garmin are the same units, with the same map packets, and the same processors. The differences are minimal, for the most part.

BMW Nav. II = Garmin 2610

Differences are that the Nav. II comes with a motorcycle cradle and external mount buttons for left handed operation. The Nav. II came with pre-loaded BMW dealership location information. The Nav. II came with the BMW 3 year warranty vs. Garmin's 1 year.

BMW Nav. III = Zumo 450

Differences are that the Nav. III is in a black casing. Again, I believe, the Nav. III has BMW dealer maps pre-installed. The Nav. III came with a motorcycle cradle.

BMW did not utilize the Zumo 550 due to licensing issues with XM. However, teh 450 can be updated, for FREE, through Garmin to recognize the GXM-30 XM antenna along with the software interface for the unit control head.

BMW Nav. IV = Zumo 660

The Nav. IV comes in a black case vs the silver on the 660. Motorcycle cradle with the Nav. IV Again, I believe, BMW dealer maps.

All units are manufactured and supported by Garmin the same. As a matter of fact, when you register a unit through Garmin's site, it doesn't recognize it any different, nomenclature wise, than the Garmin unit would be. The map updates are no different. There are just no differences in real world use, support, or issue resolution.

Firefight911
Case in point, the Garmin Street Pilot 2610 appears to be repairable at a rate of $150.

Same page, BMW Nav II. is N/A, no longer repairable.

At least from the website.

If you know something other than this on the BMW Nav. II I would be interested since the screen on mine stopped working correctly last week. I would much rather spend $150 or $200 and have it repaired than have to purchase another.

PS. From the amount of use it received, it probably cost about $75 to $100 per use. It was never dropped or abused,so I am not very impressed with the Nav II's durability either.

Simply put, when you send your unit in, you do not get your unit back. They send you a refurb or new unit off the shelf.

Since the Nav. II/2610 are discontinued and no longer supported, they only have what is on the shelf for "repairs". Once they are gone, they will undoubtedly update the site to reflect that they no longer "repair" the 2610. It goes without saying that there were far fewer Nav. II's than there were 2610's.

IMO, you're throwing good money at a bad thing. Just go with a newer, supported unit that you can update and have repaired should the need arise.

Your lack of product use is not a gauge of value. The fact that yours failed is just happen chance. What's to say that if you had used it regularly, when new, that it would have still failed, you would have sent it in for warranty repair, and you would now be singing praises over how you were supported by Garmin/BMW? Stuff happens.

John Bentall

quote=1bmwfan]A summary of the BMW - Garmin "differences.

First off, both units, whether a "Nav" or a Garmin are the same units, with the same map packets, and the same processors. The differences are minimal, for the most part.

BMW Nav. II = Garmin 2610

Differences are that the Nav. II comes with a motorcycle cradle and external mount buttons for left handed operation. The Nav. II came with pre-loaded BMW dealership location information. The Nav. II came with the BMW 3 year warranty vs. Garmin's 1 year.

BMW Nav. III = a cross between a Garmin 2720 and 2820

Differences are that the Nav. III is in a black casing. Again, I believe, the Nav. III has BMW dealer maps pre-installed. The Nav. III came with a 4-button motorcycle cradle.

BMW Motorrad Zumo = Zumo 450

Differences are that the BMW Zumo is in a black casing. Again, I believe, the BMW Zumo has BMW dealer maps pre-installed. The BMW Zumo came with a motorcycle cradle.

BMW did not utilize the Zumo 550 due to licensing issues with XM. However, the 450 can be updated, for FREE, through Garmin to recognize the GXM-30 XM antenna along with the software interface for the unit control head.

BMW Nav. IV = Zumo 660

The Nav. IV comes in a black case vs the silver on the 660. Motorcycle cradle with the Nav. IV Again, I believe, BMW dealer maps.

All units are manufactured and supported by Garmin the same. As a matter of fact, when you register a unit through Garmin's site, it doesn't recognize it any different, nomenclature wise, than the Garmin unit would be. The map updates are no different. There are just no differences in real world use, support, or issue resolution.

Well you can claim that the units being a Nav version or the Garmin version are the same, but the fact is, and your comments indicated it at times that the units are similar but not identical.

And I don't want to argue, but my experience with the Nav II is that Garmin considers and treats them differently then the similar Garmin unit, both in warranty and out of warranty. And when I registered my unit with Garmin, it was and still is listed as a Nav II not a Garmin unit. With repair still available for the Garmin unit, but not the Nav II

Also when you check for updates or support, the Nav II has different, and in my experience, fewer updates and support.

I am just providing my experience to the original poster on a previous version of the Nav. He can take it or leave it, but when I post a question I would appreciate the same type of information from individuals with experience that I am trying to provide.

I am neither an advocate for or against Garmin, just trying to provide my experience with the Nav II. And I don't understand the position that some seem to be taking that I don't know what my experience with the Nav II unit was.

Hey Old Bill,

North County BMW has this unit in stock. A buddy of mine bought one last week. They are pricy. Does come with a nice cradle that has buttons on the left side. Plan on spending a grand if you want one.

Also the BMW version comes with the 4 button cradle that I don't think is included with a Zumo 660.

And the price for those buttons is about $100 each...or $400 more for the BMW version. Not worth it IMHO.

I wonder; can you buy the NAV IV cradle separately from BMW (to get the buttons) and more importantly, will it work with a stock GARMIN Zumo 660? Or are there software differences between the NAV IV and the Zumo 660 that would prevent this?

LeftCoastMan

I think the 550 is one of the best GPS systems around for a motorcycle. Since I am an XM addict, it's perfect. I think you can score some really good used 550's on eBay for 50% of the price of the BMW version.

LeftCoastMan

If you do choose to get the XM antenna, really do go on eBay. You'll find some really good deals for new and near-new stuff.

looking to get a sat nav for my r1200rtse .Which would you recommend for ease of use and fitment.use a tankbag most of the time so would need a bracket etc for good visibility .thanks for the previous info but still undecided wat to get !

GARLEE r1200rtse 08 model

I think the 550 is one of the best GPS systems around for a motorcycle. Since I am an XM addict, it's perfect. I think you can score some really good used 550's on eBay for 50% of the price of the BMW version.

Can anyone tell me the best mount to install a Zumo 550 on a R1200RT? I think the supplied mounts from Garmin will not work.

I saw a mount on a blue RT that attached to the bolts on the triple tree but could not find the owner to inquire.

Thanks for any help and advice.

Archived