IGNORED

Has anybody heard of, or used "Electropods"?

Nevets

I am looking into adding some LED brake/tail light enhancements similar to "Hyper Lites", and I ran across some things called "Electropods". I'm unsure who manufactures them, but the price has definitely got my attention. Here is a link to a place that sells them REALLY cheap: http://store.tireflysonline.com/podbrake.html

At that price ($12!)I think I'm going to take a chance and buy some. I just noticed - Aerostich also sells them: http://www.aerostich.com/product.php?productid=16991&cat=348&page=1

I know Hyper Lites are a good product, with great support, but as someone involved with electronics, I have a hard time swallowing the price of Hyper Lites. Please let me know if you know anything about "Electropods". Thanks!

-Steve Petersen

I've never heard of them before (I have Hyper-Lites). At their advertized *closeout* price, I'd be inclined to give 'em a try. I must confess that I am a wee bit skeptical, especially since the closeout price is 50% of the regular price. I wonder if they're weather/water resistant?

I'll let you know how these work, after I get them on the bike. Will be hooking them up during our Tech Daze tomorrow. For under $12, I couldn't resist. I tried them on the car battery when they arrived, and I think I was seeing red spots for about an hour later. ooo.gif Very bright! Look to be constructed OK. Too bad there is not some way to defeat the flashing, to have them steady on. I'd like to use the second set I bought for just bright taillights.

-Steve Petersen

Here is some updated information on the “Electropods” flashing LED rear brake lights I recently purchased. Disclaimer: I’m not associated with any of these manufacturers or sellers..

· I bought two sets for $23.98, including shipping from http://store.tireflysonline.com/podbrake.html

· Both sets came a couple days later, well packaged, in unopened blister packs.

· Each set has two “pods” with eight red LEDs each.

· The web site http://store.tireflysonline.com/podbrake.html says “Each package has two ElectroPods, on/off switch, cable ties, mounting bracket with tape, fuse casing, and installation instructions.” Not true. No switch is included, but none was needed anyway.

· Each set comes with two cheap, black wire ties.

· Each set comes with a small amount of double-sided foam tape.

· The two black plastic pods each are wired together to a common cable, which has an inline fuse and terminates to two wires (red/black).

· Each pod comes with a plastic mounting holder, which can be mounted with screws or tape, and the pod will be held in place by it.

· Since I had to take the two pods apart from one set to mount them, I discovered one pod has red, black and white wires; the other has red and black. The significance of this is, one pod has the flasher internal (with three wires), and the other does not. The white of the flashing pod connects to the black of the non-flashing pod. The reds (positive) are connected together. Since I bought two sets, if I had wanted to, I could have had two non-flashing taillight pods and two flashing brake light pods.

· Remember that LEDs are polarized, unlike incandescent bulbs, so when you hook them up, make sure you get the polarity right.

Pros:

· Cheap at less than $12 per set.

· One set can be taken apart to get a flashing pod and a non-flashing pod.

· Bright, constant flashing.

· Did I mention how cheap they are?

Cons:

· Questionable contruction/quality of the Electropods. One wire easily pulled out from the cheap in-line fuse holder. Potting compound inside each pod was not filled very well. Poor/cold solder joints on original cable.

· Can not be made to operate flash-flash-flash-steady on, like some HyperLites can.

· Cable coming out of the side of the pod, versus the backside like (I think) HyperLites. This can make mounting a little trickier, depending where you mount it, if you are trying to hide the wire.

Would I buy them again? Probably. I’m a cheapskate with more time than money. Fortunately I know how to solder and improvise stuff like this. I have no way to compare the quality of these, but I have heard good things about the “HyperLites” brand, especially their service.

I have, so far, experienced no problems with the Electropods interfering with the operation of the brake light. I would not expect any problem, since the original incandescent. bulb is still in use, and the Electropods are wired in parallel. You most certainly WILL have problems if you tried to run LED brake lights instead of incandescent, as they would not draw enough current, making it appear you have a bulb out, and possibly freaking out the ABS controller. If you really wanted to do that, you could use a parallel resistor to draw enough current, but why bother (just keep the incandescent bulb!).

The most difficult part of using them is to find an appropriate place to mount them. I was originally going to put them under my taillight on my 11050RT-P, but changed their location to under the rear luggage rack. I may end up making some type of metal bracket if the mounting method I used (wire tied and double sided tape) does not hold up.

Anyways, hope this info helps some other cheapskate………

-Steve Petersen

Steve, from one cheapskate to another, thanks for the review. I also ordered 2 pairs of them and had them in 3 days. I decided to separate the flashers from the non-flashers so that 2 will flash and 2 will stay on solid when I hit the breaks. I made 2 simple L shaped aluminum brackets that I mounted under the tail light to either side of the license plate light. The wire that comes out of the Electropod module comes out the top and goes into the gap between the tail light lens assy and the plastic tail assy for a clean no wire look. I used just one grommet mounted screw in each bracket so they can easily swivel to aim them rearwords. I haven't seen what they look like from a distance but I'm sure they are very bright. I've never seen the Hyperlites but I would guess that the Electropods are similar although they don't have the flash/no-flash option. By installing 2 pairs I have that covered at a fraction of the cost. clap.gif No affiliation, YMMV. I like 'em!

Alas, believe it or not, I am without a digital camera. Boy, am I cheap or what? Perhaps I can borrow one from work for this. Stay tuned...

I can say that the method I have mounted them is not the best, as they are pointing a little too much downward. I may fashion a bracket and fasten it between the back two sections of the rear luggage rack support. This bracket could then be angled to point the lights in the correct angle.

-Steve P

OK, here are some pictures of the installation on my 2003 R1150RT-P...

You can see the downward tilt of the units, which may cause me to reinstall them when I have the time.

The picture that shows the units illuminated along with the brake lights does not due them justice. The camera has a difficult time picking up the brightness of them.

MVC-002S.JPG

MVC-005S.JPG

MVC-009S.JPG

• 3 years later...

I installed them under the tail section directly below the line where the stop and turn signals meet. Double stick tape allows easy mounting.

George

Thanks georgeb!. Do they angle up towards the driver behind you?

I'm actually looking for a place farther away from the brake light to create a larger "light area" for when I use the brakes.

I'll probably try Nevets location and see if I can angle them up a bit more towards the followers eyes.

Anyways, if I develop anything earthshattering, I'll photo it and come back.

Christopher

Silver Surfer/AKAButters

A 3yr+ old thread still bringing value.

Proof that the search function does work. :thumbsup:

Under the and just to the sides of the tail light points them straight back so they are full brightnesst for drivers behind. I love them. Standing 50-100 feet behind the bike they make the stock brake light look like a night light.

Thanks georgeb!. Do they angle up towards the driver behind you?

I'm actually looking for a place farther away from the brake light to create a larger "light area" for when I use the brakes.

I'll probably try Nevets location and see if I can angle them up a bit more towards the followers eyes.

Anyways, if I develop anything earthshattering, I'll photo it and come back.

Christopher

• 7 months later...

Archived