IGNORED

I need a Gizmo????

Whip

Somethin that I can plug my V1 and ZUMO into and listen to music when I want, but then hear the V1 when necessary.

I do not want an Amplifier, or additional item that needs power. I just want some kinda simple splitter device. I wish the ZUMO/V1 had an aux. input.

I got a reverse Y splitter from Radio Shack, but when I plug in my Zumo I can ear music comin out the tiny V1 speakers. :dopeslap:

I used it anyway and not to longer after I hooked it up my ZUMO died. I imagine the V1 was sending signals back into the output of the ZUMO as well.

Anything with a resister or somethin I can use to keep them from attacking each other???(I really don't know what a resister is, it just sounds good)

russell_bynum

You need a passive mixer. Sean Daly used to sell a really simple one that would do what you want, but he shut that business down quite a few years ago.

I'm not aware of another passive mixer on the market, but you can get a Mixit active mixer which will do what you need, but uses a 9-volt battery.

I believe I have one of Sean's units ... a 2 mono + 1 stereo input to 1 stereo output device. I just checked and found it hiding in the tool box.

I'm not using it.

I had a "Mixit" I took a hammer to it. It made me feel much better.

Just for fun, unplug your Autocom and plug it directly into the ZUMO or source of your music. I bet you will be surprised at how much "noise" is eliminated.

I can't stand that background hiss in my ear. My BAEHR had it and so does my Autocom.

I like the sound of a "passive mixer".....whatever that is. JohnLT is sending one. I'll let ya know how it works out.

A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that produces a voltage across its terminals that is proportional to the electric current through it in accordance with Ohm's law:

A resistor is a two-terminal electronic component that produces a voltage across its terminals that is proportional to the electric current through it in accordance with Ohm's law:

??????

....can you explain that in redneck language?????

:lurk:

??????

Yes. Someone that throws a fit when they try and put the handcufs on him.

??????

A resistor kinda holds back the flow of the magic smoke :grin:

The new Autocom systems have virtually no hiss

Hey Tom

I talked to Brian here in the US. He said the new Logic was no better than the Super Pro AVi...that's what I have.

Todd...I had a Tesseract on my K-bike. Lots of background junk/hiss and my gate would open and shut on it's own every time I got the electronic opener and the bike too close together....LOL.

I got tired of chasing dogs through the woods when I got home.

:mad:

Gound loop is another hot word to use also. Something about getting seperate power to each device or use a relay to isolate.

Most of the resistors in my day ended up in Canada!

Gound loop is another hot word to use also. Something about getting seperate power to each device or use a relay to isolate.

Most of the resistors in my day ended up in Canada!

I have all my stuff hooked up with Ground Loop Isolators.

In the 70's ...resistors were Oilers Fans.

****In the 70's ...resistors were Oilers Fans.****

I don't know, I had fun watchin' Bum Phillips, Earl Campbell, and Billy "white shoes" Johnson....

Ta each his own.

MB>

russell_bynum

I like the sound of a "passive mixer".....whatever that is. JohnLT is sending one. I'll let ya know how it works out.

The passive mixer will not introduce any noise. Any noise that is already there will still be there.

Hiss, background noise, etc. is usually caused from radio frequency (RF) and can sometime be eliminated or reduced by use of resistance type devices such the ground loop isolators you are using. Have you tried moving things about from their stored/installed locations? Sometimes simply moving a wire/cable an inch this way or that way, turning a ground loop isolator over 180 degress can have remarkably good results. On the GS model, you are very limited on places to move/locate wiring away from problem areas, i.e. engine, ignition, alternator. But, check your cabling runs and see if there is any room for rerouting of wires/cables, even from one side of engine to the other. All options along these lines should be explored.

An option to try might be this item here called an AUDIO BOX

It is a bike powered, passive unit that has priority outputs, designed especially for motorcycle use. I have not used it but sometime ago have spoken with the designer and builder. AFAIK they are still available. The unit can be custom built.

It's worth a look.

Most electrical things that are passive do not require any power. Typical passive component are resistors, capacitors, inductors, wire-wound transformers and such. An active circuit contains an amplifier or something that requires power.

12Volts or something.

A simple passive mixer to combine three headphone outputs would be three resistors. Each resistors is connected to each output. Then, the other side of each resistor is connected to each other and to your headphone. You will need two of these for stereo. Then you will need connectors and something like a box to hold it all together.

The value of each resistor might be the trick. I would match the resistance of the headphone (around 16 ohms). That way each device (Zumo, A1, iPOD) will not be overloaded.

With this very simple PASSIVE mixer, you will loose volume from each. That is one reason most mixers contain an Active amplifier circuit. Another reason is signal isolation. Each device will get some of the other devices signal. I'd be very surprised if this would upset any device output.

Audio transformers might be available to do an even better job of passive mixing. Transformer have the benifit of isolating and will not loose as much volume. Finding a three primary (16 ohms) to single secondary (16ohms) might be a hard. I'll do some searching in the morning.

Ah, I'm sorry. Audio transformers do NOT isolate between windings. Only RF transformers isolate. So I see no benifit to using a transformer. The only way to isolate signals is with an active circuit.

I was going to suggest riding the speed limit and humming to yourself. Then I remembered it is 2009.

:)

He always rides the speed limit, just maybe not the posted one.

Archived