IGNORED

driving and fog lights

ragtoplvr

I just picked up a used light bar for the R1150RS. I would like to stack a small driving light on top and a small fog light on the bottom. I would like either a combination light or small driving and fog that look about the same with single bolt mount. Cost precludes PIAA and HID. Are the WalMart type lights any good?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

The Walmart lights are OK if you don't get the blue tinted ones. The blue tint sort of washes out details at dusk and it reduces the amount of light too. The wiring is not the most sun resistant I have seen. IT will last about 4 years then the wire cover cracks some. The bulbs are the same H3 and H7 bulbs as normal halogens bulbs. The price is right. I run 4 rectangular Walmarts halogens with one Low Beam HID and it is the most light on any motorcycle in our area. I can run at near normal speeds at night in spite of the presence of large numbers of deer on the road.

I forgot to mention that the halogens are all angled to the sides of the road. That is where the deer, fox, coyotes, racoons, etc. come from. The HID more than fills in the center.

Wire lasts 4 years, why that is way better than the big bearing in the final drive. :cry:

Thanks, now to find the waterproof switches, relays connectors, wire, sleeveing etc. And women say men don't like to shop! :rofl:

Any more sources for lamps?

Rod

I've used a pair of Hella Optilux, small round, for over 6 years now with only one bulb replacement. I bought another set on amazon recently for my second bike. I think they were in the 20 dollar range.

mike

I had some Wally World lights and then replaced them with Hella FF75's. I first looked for some FF50's but found the others for a good price.

A world of difference in quality of manufacture and amount of light on the road.

Worth the $$$.

I just picked up a used light bar for the R1150RS. I would like to stack a small driving light on top and a small fog light on the bottom. I would like either a combination light or small driving and fog that look about the same with single bolt mount. Cost precludes PIAA and HID. Are the WalMart type lights any good?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

Rod

I've heard good things about the Hellas. Have you considered making one set amber rather than white?

Sounds like you bought a RBR light rack. I thought about one for my RS but they just cost too much. Glad you found a used one. I moved the Martin Fabrication light mounts from my RT to my RS and they work real well. I thought about stacking lights on it. Be sure to post some pics here when you get everything done.

Archived