IGNORED

gps should i get it or not?

garlee

Not got lost and confused yet with the new bigger map decided to get a large print A to Z one instead of the book issue one that was supplied with the AA recovery firm that i have had for years and years(the print being so small at times you needed a microscope to see it!).The wife makes a very good alternative to sat nav as well via the intercom or a sharp dig in the ribs to turn left or right!

Garlee

08 R1200RTSE sand beige

"After numerous considerations and the cost etc decided to get a bigger and more concise map instead.The info from all you guys was brilliant and your points of view on the subject so thanks.Mind you in the meantime i have seen a case for sale for use on a bike which allows you to use a car satnav which are alot cheaper to buy .Mindboggling!"

You may have resisted the temptation this time however just like colour TV, Cell phones and air conditioning in cars you will ultimately give in!!!!

IMHO, when you do, you will find it hard to go past the Garmin Zumo 660 (or 550) with the BMR Co-pilot shelf mount.

BMR Products

It puts the GPS at a great level of sight position to enable you to safely glance at the screen as you are riding.

It's sturdy construction allows little or no vibration - easy to read.

Both the GPS and the BMR mount may be considered expensive by some, however they are quality products.

Philmor: I don't see any buttons on the side of that gps. Is that a car gps? Or maybe I just can't see the buttons?

Looks great up there, however; nice and easy to view.

Philmor: I don't see any buttons on the side of that gps. Is that a car gps? Or maybe I just can't see the buttons?

Looks great up there, however; nice and easy to view.

It is a motorcycle specific GPS - but can also be used in a car.

The Garmin Zumo 660 (as shown) and the Zumo 550 were designed for use on a bike. Garmin Motorcycle GPS's

Both have on-screen icons which are relatively easy to use when wearing gloves.

I really like the BMR Co-pilot shelf set up as it places the GPS at a perfect height to view it when riding, but not too high to interfere with my view of the road ahead.

I used a 550 for two weeks when I rented a bike and it was OK. At a recent rally a friend showed my his 660. I liked it much better because of the large bright 4.3" screen.

Also, the 660 has built-in stereo bluetooth streaming audio protocol (A2DP), where the 550 doesn't. Matter of opinion... listening to music through the bluetooth on the 550 is both mono and crappy quality (nearly useless). So, if you want stereo music streaming with the Zumo550, you'll have to use something like the wiRevo stereo bluetooth 'dongle' which plugs into the stereo (headphone) jack on both car and bike cradle (that comes with the Zumo550) and pair it with the bluetooth headset in your helmet for good-sounding stereo music. Music-wise, with the Zumo660, you'll loose the XM radio feature that the Zumo550 has.

Archived